Currently an MS/PhD candidate in a Kinesiology Program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerber85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm a full matriculated graduate student enrolled in a Kinesiology grad program with a specific concentration in Energy Metabolism, specific to glucose metabolism. I'm (I believe) well versed in anatomy & physiology to the best of my abilities, but believe I can only grow and mature as a student.

As of late, I've been considering an MD/PhD path... thinking I may finish up my MS and move on to an MD/PhD program... Metabolism is still a prime interest, but I also would like the medical aspect of science (from an MD perspective).

My undergraduate career was successful, but would it impact my application to full enrollment in any medical school within the US? Or would they consider me more due to my matriculated graduate student status?

Any specifics I should lay out to help? The only real issue I forsee is that I've NEVER taken Organic or inorganic chem... (or the MCATS).. did well on my GRE's though! other than that, I have a fairly extensive scientific background... from physics I & II + their respective labs, exercise physiology, energy metabolism, biomechanics, anatomy & phys I + II and their respective labs, motor control (neuroscience), 2 nutrition classes (with respect to metabolism), a pediatric exercise class, endocrinology, biology (intro).. :p and biochem (intro, but taking a more advanced biochemistry class this fall 09).. oh and Chem I + II and their respective labs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoy the research I'm conducting now and love my lab... I just want Med school... wouldn't mind being a resident in an ER one day (while being a research physician)... :laugh:

Thanks!

Oh yeah,hi all. This is my FIRST post. Name's Rob. :D

Members don't see this ad.

You would be expected to complete your obligation to your graduate program before matriculating into med school. I believe you would need a letter of recommendation from your advisor. You'd need a year of OChem plus lab, which you could complete while a grad student and have it count in your undergrad GPA, as it isn't required to complete the grad program. You've got the research, and it should be pretty substantive if you want MD/PhD, preferably with publications. You'll need at least a year of clinical experience. Many combine this expectation with the need for community service and volunteer in a hospital or clinic for 3-4 hours per week. You'll need some physican shadowing; 8-40 hours for each of 2-3 doctors is fine. Leadership and teaching are desirable.

The median undergrad GPA for those accepted is 3.65 for MD-only. Grad degree GPA doesn't really help you. The median MCAT score is 31 for MD-only. MD/PhD programs are fairly competitive, so your stats should be higher than those.

Stratego's got it.

Your graduate work/GPA won't really help you in the MD (or MD/PhD) application process. You do have some work to do, as you can see in Stratego's post. But it is certainly doable if you would like to do it, just keeping in mind you will need to study for the MCAT at some point (anatomy/physio won't help you very much).