Currently OMS I, Thinking about changing to PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dugudwn23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently an OMS I and I am genuinely not happy with what I am going through right now.
I am not struggling at school, (honored every block but 1) but I don't think I will be happy with my life if I continue going on like this and I am thinking of going to PA school for a shorter school, but still doing what I enjoy: working in the medical field and therefore in need of advice.
I had 3.95 GPA, 504 MCAT, do I need GRE for the PA school?

Members don't see this ad.

Bruh you will set yourself so far behind

Hello,
I am currently an OMS I and I am genuinely not happy with what I am going through right now.
I am not struggling at school, (honored every block but 1) but I don't think I will be happy with my life if I continue going on like this and I am thinking of going to PA school for a shorter school, but still doing what I enjoy: working in the medical field and therefore in need of advice.
I had 3.95 GPA, 504 MCAT, do I need GRE for the PA school?
You could certainly do it. But by the time you finished PA school, you could have been a doctor.

NPP job markets are really starting to feel the squeeze too. Seems like a bad call overall.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on why you think you’ll be unhappy as a doctor but happy as a PA? It’s not like you can just start PA school next fall, entrance into PA programs requires as much work as entrance into medical school, with many more clinical experience hours required.

Plus how are you going to explain wanting to switch? We have former PAs in my current class, and they’ve said that the reason they went back to medical school is because they had to change the way they practiced medicine based on who was supervising them that shift. For example, If they were working with an older doctor who wasn’t up to date on newer pharmaceuticals, they would have to prescribe what the doc wanted instead of the meds they knew would be better for the patient, because otherwise that doctor wouldn’t sign off on their charts.

You would be starting residency by the time you would be graduating PA school. Maybe you'd be happier as a PA, but I don't think this transition would make any sense tbh.

How far in are you? M1 I could see it. M3 or M4 is quite a hit financially.