curriculum in australian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone please elaborate on the curriculum in Austalian schools generally, particularly the first two years? Do they have a block system, like a whole course in anatomy, then a whole course in phys, etc. Or am I correct in understanding that the curriculum is organs based, and that anatomy is done over 2 years and much more of an emphasis is placed on PBLS and presentations rather than knowing factual knowledge. Is that a correct understanding from what I have gathered. Also I read on a forum, the attrition rate is nearly 0. Is that also correct? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

depends on which school u go to. Most of the time is systems based ( background block, cardio block, renal block, neuro/psy block) where they throw physiology, pathology, anatomy, pharmacology and some bits of embryology at you all at one shot and u finish most block feeling somewhat incompetent and lost due to information overload. Some schools have separate final anatomy exams at the end of preclinical years.

PBL is useless. It's exciting initially as you all compete to bring interesting teaching, latest research into the PBL room, but after a while, PBL is a bother and u are better off studying yourself, esp when zealous classmates start to talk about optics, going into mathematical formulas worthy of a Phd in optometry when the learning objective is about about mypoia, or explaining the six different axis of psychiatry when it should be about mood disorders. I go to PBL typically for the food ( auzzie can really bake, some of them) and as a break from my own studying, plus some ooggling at the pretty pbl mate.

attrition rate is ZERO? They do try to let u pass in preclinical years if you can demonstrate a level of medical knowledge, but they will weed out unsafe guys during the clinical years. You can ace ur exams, but if the clinical evaluation comes back as "incompetent in patient management", " unsafe" etc, u will not get a pass.

depends on which school u go to. Most of the time is systems based ( background block, cardio block, renal block, neuro/psy block) where they throw physiology, pathology, anatomy, pharmacology and some bits of embryology at you all at one shot and u finish most block feeling somewhat incompetent and lost due to information overload. Some schools have separate final anatomy exams at the end of preclinical years.

PBL is useless. It's exciting initially as you all compete to bring interesting teaching, latest research into the PBL room, but after a while, PBL is a bother and u are better off studying yourself, esp when zealous classmates start to talk about optics, going into mathematical formulas worthy of a Phd in optometry when the learning objective is about about mypoia, or explaining the six different axis of psychiatry when it should be about mood disorders. I go to PBL typically for the food ( auzzie can really bake, some of them) and as a break from my own studying, plus some ooggling at the pretty pbl mate.

attrition rate is ZERO? They do try to let u pass in preclinical years if you can demonstrate a level of medical knowledge, but they will weed out unsafe guys during the clinical years. You can ace ur exams, but if the clinical evaluation comes back as "incompetent in patient management", " unsafe" etc, u will not get a pass.

Generally what is the attrition rate? Do majority of students make it through? How is the USMLE preparation?

And another question to anyone who may have the answer to this. If you do residency lets say in the UK under the Royal College of Surgeons, does that mean the residency can translate in Australia & Canada & Ireland since they are also part of the Royal College of Surgeons? Will these people have to do another residency or can they apply straight for attending jobs

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say the attrition rate is zero. There are some schools that have very intense programs like USyd and Melb and there MUST be students failing. Even Flinders has students that fail and I fail to believe that even after their second chance that 100% of them pass.

PBL is what you make of it. Almost all allopathic schools are using a PBL (or CSL, acronym depends on your school) style of learning. It's a hell of a lot better than 8hrs of lecture a day. Some people learn better at PBL, some people learn better at lecture. I personally hate lectures, I find them only useful in the sense of knowing what I'm examined on. It's no secret that lecturers are usually pretty crap, except for the occasional gem. Yeah you'll get the ass in PBL who think they know everything about everything, but you're going to find those people in medicine (and virtually any career), without a doubt. Practice learning to deal with them now...

As cosycactus said, it's block based learning at most schools.

I go to University of Queensland in Brisbane. I'm a third-year.

I like cozycatus's comment about PBL because it's very true. We had some guy doing his mini-presentation last year talking about Planck's constant, when the FQ was supposed to be a quick summary about scotoma and amaurosis fugax in relation to MS. As soon as he said "Planck's constant," I was like, "it's time to leave..." Some people just don't understand what med school is supposed to be about.

In relation to USMLE prep, UQ has the UQ-Ochsner program, which prepares those students with their own tutorials and materials, but I can say with conviction that the curriculum itself is about as far away from effective USMLE prep as you can get, considering UQ doesn't teach micro, pharm or biochem, let alone even anatomy. There has been record of an exceedingly high USMLE score having been generated at this school, however that was due to external studying/compensation. I sit the exam at the end of this year, and I'm only in good shape at the moment because I've been using SDN's USMLE forum for a while now; that has nothing to do with my school.

Do you all think that this semester for the next 4 months if I read all the Kaplan Lecture Series Books for USMLE step 1, will I be prepared for med school in Australia when it starts in March. Would having read the lecture series books and knowing them help me both in the courses and on step 1?