Curriculum type at xxCOM? Need: KCOM, LECOM, PCSOM, COMP, UHS-COM,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amra

A Quiet Voice of Reason
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Peeps: tell us about your school!

I was looking into the different schools that I am applying to and noticed one of the big differences is the curriculum type of the first 2 years.

Can students of their respective xxCOM please indicate what type (PBL, systems, core science, etc.) of educational model used at their particular school? Also, if (when) clinical experience/patient interaction begins?

Thanks in advance!!

-A

Members don't see this ad.

DMU-COMS: Systems Based, 2+2 model (2yr core sci, 2yr rotations), Clinical experience as far as I understood start during your first year (Please correct me if I'm wrong for those DMU students that are upperclassmen).

msu-com:
systems based, 2+2, start seening pts second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU-COM:
Systems based 2+2, students begin seeing patients within 60 days of matriculation. We also get 6 weeks off before step one of our boards.

let me clarify about msu:
first year is md/do classes together. second year is all systems. we start clinical skills class first semester, but we cant practice on real people until second year when we spend 10 fridays with a physician in the office. hope that helps.
ps msu md is problem based and some hate it and some like it. fyi

Thanks Popoy, cocobeanz, and QuinnNSU for your help!!

A few down, a few more to go!

I can only hope this helps other pre-osteopathic students... (C:

-A

OUCOM is 2+2 with a choice of curricula -- disorder based or case based. Systems based curriculum ended a couple years ago for a more innovative way to study medicine. The case based program students spend one afternoon per week in the clinics starting right away and the disorder based program students start right away but don't spend nearly as much time with people.

PCOM - Systems based 2 + 2. We start with systems in the third trimester of 1st year. Standardized patient contact begins right away in 1st year, and progresses to a complete hx and physical by the end of 2nd year. Hope this helps.

DMU: the first year is core sci, the second year is systems. 3rd & 4th are clinical. We also have a PBL option for some of the courses first year, and a required PBL seminar that goes throughout all of second year.

Hi,
First 2 years at AZCOM, basic sciences (strictly my opinio, it should be changed). Patient contact comes early in the first year (approx. late Oct./early Nov.) with an every other week preceptorship in a doctor's office. It counts for clinical credit, usually spend approx. 2-4 hours there. What specialty (it used to be that they tried to get everyone in with a family practice or internal med doc but that wasn't easy as there weren't enough preceptors to go around) you wind up with and how much or how little you get out of it is luck of the draw. Hope this helps. :cool:

UHS-COM,
UHS just switched last year to a system based format with integrated clinical labs. It pretty much scrambles the first two years together and presents as for example Skin, Blood, and Lymph. So you would get all the Histo, Bio-chem, Pathology, ect. in that one section. I like it, some don't. The kinks will be worked out in the next year or two.

Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine:

1st year: basic sciences and systems-based approach

2nd year: continue systems based approach

Currrently, the faculty is in the process of changing the system. Their goal is to have the students learn all the basic sciences in the first year, and during the second year focus on the clinical sciences.

Might I also add, Western University is one of the few DO schools to offer other health sciences programs. Western University was recently approved for the Veterinary College (the first to open in 20 years, and the second vet school in California, second to UC Davis).

Western University Home page

PCSOM: 2+2 The basic science years are class based. Patient experience starts at the beginning of second year. We get one month off before boards and during that time the school provides a free kaplan board review course for the entire class. Also, laptop, scrubs, diagnostic equipment, selected club dues, and all required textbooks are provided with the tuition. 3rd and 4th year rotations can all be completed at one of 9 rotation sites in KY (actually 1 is in Ohio and 1 is in Virginia) All rotations can be completed there (no moving every month) with the exception of Pysch and OMT which are in Hazard and Pikeville, KY respectively. Grades are %'s with some P/F classes. I feel that this does not lead to a competitive attitude of our students. Atmosphere here is very laid back and many students help each other out. Several clinicial sciences are presented throughtout the first two years. These include ENT, Ophthalmology, and radiology the summer after first year, and Peds, Ob/Gyn, Pysch, Neuro, and clincial medicine conference(which is everything else in medicine and surgery)throughout second year. I would be happy to answer any other questions.

UMDNJ-SOM:
first year-basic science blocks
system based modules start second year
you start your clinical preceptorship first year (50hrs/yr) and throughout second
physical diagnosis course starts second year
pirulo
umdnj-som 2004

LECOM:

Basic science first year.
Systems second year.
Rotations last two years.

Preceptorships begin second semster first year.

TCOM (texas):

-Integrated systems (basic science combined with each body system) start 1st year
-PBL with multiple choice exams
-Clinical education starts 1st year and includes patient interaction
-Mandatory community service and Medical observation (clinic) 1st year
- FYI we had 100% pass rate on COMLEX this past session for this curriculum

You didn't ask for this school but I think you should give us a second look. We love it.

Sorry, forgot the other pathways at LECOM. What was listed before was for the Lecture-Discussion Pathway. There is also a Problem based pathway and an Independent Study Pathway for those already familiar with the basic science.

Thank you everyone for your help!!

(I'm kinda choked up about the group effort 'round here and I am running out of words to say ;) )

Seriously, thank you everyone for helping me (and others) learn about your schools...

I visited PCOM on Wednesday... One word: "WoW!"...

-A