Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Curriculum Vitae for LOR writers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cbrons, Jan 2, 2009.

1. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Well I wrote an extended CV for the people I plan to ask to write my LORs. Unfortunitely, the CV is 4 pages and I have heard it is a faux pas for a CV to be longer than 2. I just couldn't fit in all my extra curriculars, research, and descriptions with it. I'm also including a transcript and a personal letter to each person, hopefully to gentle illuminate the fact their letters could make or break me.

Most of my letter writers are close colleagues, while 2 of them (my pre-medical advisor, and another science professor) will not be. I know I should have developed a relationship with each person but as it happens, I didn't utilize the pre-med advisor because I've had SDN for the past two years. I've also only become close with 1 of my science professors, who has asked me to serve as a peer mentor for her frosh class next semester and I know she will write me a great letter. Do any of you have suggestions for me? Particularly having an extended CV - will this look bad? A personal letter? Any suggestions for what to put in the letter?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vadd0

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I used a 4 page CV, but more importantly I thought you were already accepted for 2013!

4. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't be short with your information. As a teacher, I hate writing LORs for people who didn't give me enough information. We have too many students to know in-depth specifics. On the other hand, I never write anything like that anyways(the CV acts as a reminder... so you don't forget anything important). LOR are more about the person, and less what they have done. Of course, your research prof may be different... but I would kinda doubt it.

So supply the info either way. It's less annoying than the alternative.

5. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you accepted me then that is all I need in this world Vadd0

:)

nah I have to play the MCAT game in May and the application game in June so I can earn a chance to play in the interview game in the fall.

6. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think that they will take the time to read a 4 page CV, so if you are really asking someone who doesn't know you that well to write a letter, keep it short and sweet (2 pages) and schedule a half hour meeting to go over your accomplishments with them and you're reason for wanting to go to med school. They might also want to look at a rough draft of your personal statement.

7. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    CV's don't typically include descriptions. That could be where the problem lies.

If you think it's an issue, you may simply want to include a narrative in your packet. If the writers want more information on any events in your CV, they can just skim the narrative. While it's more work for you, it might make your CV easier to read.

#6 nick_carraway, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  8. Slowpoke

Slowpoke I haz cheezburger
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what??? CVs don't include descriptions?

I always thought a CV was a more elegant way to say resume, although they basically have the same lay out.

9. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    cbrons, just submit it as is. I would not cut out stuff if I were you. You spent time doing all this and hey it happens to fill up 4 pages. Unless your description is over a page long I wouldn't sweat it. My description is basically:

a) my research focus (about quarter page)
    b) my research skills (about quarter page)

Then I just listed my pubs, work experience, volunteer experience, etc.

I'm curious what your put in your 'description.' Is it why you want to apply to med school? If so I will need to write a part about that, or maybe just attach my PS.

10. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I put a description under each activity to describe it. I plan on including my transcript and a letter. That's about it..

11. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that's all most people want.

If they really want more information, I think they'll ask. Most seasoned writers will already know what they want and they'll tell you upfront.

BTW, if you don't plan on seeing the writer for a while, you might want to include a self-addressed postcard in the packet and have them drop it in the mail with your LOR. That way, you'll know when they mailed your letter when you receive your postcard.

12. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Won't it show up on interfolio when their letters have been received?

13. junkct

5+ Year Member

So do you think it's better to ask a prof for a letter first, and then give them the information AFTER they've agreed? Or to give them your info at the same time you ask them?

14. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess if you use interfolio (or even the new AMCAS system), but I had to send mine to a premed committee, which was more difficult to keep track of.

15. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I never thought about it...

I always just ask first, even though the packet is typically ready to go. If they want specific items, I add those to the packet or remake the packet and hand it to them at their office or in their inbox.

I guess by asking them and waiting on the packet, I don't feel like I'm ambushing them.

16. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A CV is as long as it needs to be. A resume needs to be one or two pages.

17. RxMD

5+ Year Member

Non-Student

BINGO. Resume's are typically limited to 1 full page or 2 full pages. CV's are longer and include much more descriptive information on activities, publications, honors, etc. I've had bosses/mentors who have CV's that are 20+ pages (more than 2-3 pages of publications alone).