curriculums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizabeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the positives and negative aspects are of a systems-based curriculum versus a basic science based curriculum. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The primary difference in the curricula, according to some recent study, is that students of the organ-based/problem-based curriculum are not as well prepared for the boards (step 1).

I go to a school that's on an organ-based curriculum. I like it. I don't like having to sit through an entire class on biochemistry everyday. That would drive me insane. My chief complaint about an organ-based curriculum is that there's little room for thinking and synthesizing for yourself. They've done it all for you, so why bother? But the problem I see inherent in this is that students may not be able to correlate a particular portion of the biochemistry related to skeletal muscle with some other part of the anatomy that happens to have the same biochem pathway, unless of course, there's repitition in the curriculum (which would then waste time).

Tim of New York City.

What seems strange to me is why don't they do organ based on Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, then do Biochem, Pharmaco, Microbio, and any other general basic science class next year using many example from all over the body to illustrate the current point. I think UNECOM might have a curricula similar to this.

UNE hits the basic sciences hard the first year and goes to a systems-based approach the second year. This approach is very similar to UNC-Chapel Hill.

Year 1
Anatomy/Histo/micro/immuno/Pathology/parasitology/Pharmacology/Medical Jurisprudence/Public/population health/OPP/Physiology/Clinical skills/nutrition

Year 2
9 systems/Neuroanatomy/more Pharmacology/Behavior medicine/Geriatrics/Medical humanities/more Clinical skills/Emergency medicine/OPP

Phillip Snider, MS, RD
UNECOM '04