Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Curvy Organic Chemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 7, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Was your O Chem grade curved? At my university they dont curve O Chem, which I didnt know until half-way through the class. So I had to work my behind off to get a B, which was an 83 percent. My brother, a 3rd year dental student, went to university in another state and Aced O Chem. He said he never got above a 60% on any exam. How was ochem for you? Was it curved?

#1 kamandsam, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChrisM07

ChrisM07 Dental Student
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    C+ in O-Chem I, W in O-Chem II. I'm re-taking it next semester.

I spent a lot of time keeping up with part I. Our test averages were about 55-60% which, for my class, was the highest out of the few classes being taught. However, O-Chem II, our midterm average was a 33% (yes, that's 100 out of 300 points). Maybe half the class dropped.

*Sigh* Looks Like I gotta get myself together for the DAT.

4. btk2333

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    did you have a chance to compare tests with your brother? From my experience comparing with friends, if a <60% got them an A with a curve, it was a much more difficult test than a non-curved test on which they would have needed 90% to get an A.

Comparing percentages isn't always the best way to compare classes.

5. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have not compared. I went to a Univ. California school and he went to Western Washington.

6. Schlockinz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My class was a 15 pt scale (85-100 A, etc...) The averages where ~60% or lower on the test. My prof was good, but he expected you to learn O-chem, and he didn't hesitate to fail anyone.

7. cherr1pop

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    our class was curved but for an A you basically needed 90 or above...the curve mostly helped out ppl in the B range which I believed was something like 70/75~90 depending on the test..

8. vhlam

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    a curve is only used to make sure most of the class gets a C+/B-. if your professor doesn't curve, that probably means the exams are pretty doable.

9. CadetTpt06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No curve for my Organic I.....but as a random side not, my genetics course was graded on a 7 pt scale meaning 93-100 = A, 85-92=B, 77-84=C, etc. Not the hardest material, but you mess up on 1 test and you are SOL!

10. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no curve, and i received A- both semesters, and the class averages were usually around 60% but the standard deviation was often 25-30...very wide spread of grades

11. enfuego

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think every science course at my school is curved. So far I haven't heard of one that doesn't curve. Each course aims to have a certain average on the tests and the professors adjust the difficult of the test to have that average. In Gen Chem, they aimed for an average of 50%. I'm in Orgo 1 currently, and from what I can tell, they're aiming the average to be about a 65%. After that, they curve the averages up to a 75% or a 79% (depending on the course). Why they don't just make the tests so the average is at a 75% in the first place is beyond me.

I hate the curve because your grade becomes dependent on how well you do relative to everyone else in the class (ie where you fall in the distribution). It sucks because you can't really control how everyone else does, you can only control how you do. In one of my bio classes, my raw score increased from Test 1 to Test 2, but my actual grade dropped because of where my score fell in the distribution. That's annoying to me that I got more questions right on the second test, but ended up with a lower grade because other people in the class happened to do better. I really wish they gave slightly easier tests and then just graded us on our raw scores instead of making the tests impossible and having our grades dependent on everyone else's performance. But the school likes to have a nice bell curve distribution of A's, B's, and C's. God forbid too many people get A's...

(And for the record, I'm not bitter because I got screwed by the curve. I have a 3.75 BCP gpa so far, so I'm usually on the top end of the distribution, but I still think it's a crappy system.)

12. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

At my school almost all Organic I classes are curved. Nearly none of the Organic II classes are curved. I think they try to weed out students by Organic II.

13. Flossy13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    All of my o-chems were curved, and with classes of 300+ people. In that regard, there are bound to be quite a few chem enthusiasts/majors, and although I had a good understanding, I would get say a 60, and the A range would be 70+. SOoo I got a B, and I'm not sure I could have studied too much more to receive an A.

14. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Our Orgos were both curved, Orgo I had the average of 38-45; but the Orgo II had average of 55-60, so A started from about 80. You see smarter people in Orgo II, IMO, b/c they passed Orgo I :)

15. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Organic I and II is pretty easy (picture math!). Mine was 89/78/69. I think quarter failed out or so.

Calculus three, on the other hand... Over 75 percent failed first exam, not even half were there by midterms :D.