Cush Medicine Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaughtyGirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Was wondering if you guys can settle a debate on an internal medicine program in New York. Based on your interview trail and first hand experiences as a resident, is this a cush, average, or tough internal medicine schedule?

PGY1
5 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call) Call is from 7am to 1pm the next day.
2 months of Critical Care rotations (Q4 call)

PGY2
4 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call)
2 months of Critical Care (Q4 call)

PGY3
3 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call)
1 month of Critical Care (Q4 call)

The other 15 months are call free and weekend free.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote average. I've seen worse.

Bottom line as an intern = show up to work. I don't think any intern year is truly cush, so the debate is over.

It also depends on how whiny/entitled the residents are (varies by institution), how good the ancillary services are, and how much decision making you actually do.

Agree with above. Average.

I have seen much worse and I have seen better. I would say that it falls on the cushier side of average, given the no call and no weekends of the non-ward/non-unit months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Normal for rotations, but an easier Q-call (Q4 and Q3 being the norm at upper-tier academic Internal Medicine programs). Also, so much depends on where: East Baltimore, Santa Barbara, or somewhere between?

Hello all,
Was wondering if you guys can settle a debate on an internal medicine program in New York. Based on your interview trail and first hand experiences as a resident, is this a cush, average, or tough internal medicine schedule?

PGY1
5 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call) Call is from 7am to 1pm the next day.
2 months of Critical Care rotations (Q4 call)

PGY2
4 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call)
2 months of Critical Care (Q4 call)

PGY3
3 months of General Floor Wards (Q5 call)
1 month of Critical Care (Q4 call)

The other 15 months are call free and weekend free.

Thank you very much.
Looks like Mt. Sinai.

residency anywhere in new york city is going to kick your ass.