CUSOM vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringD0c

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, I have been accepted into CUSOM and have interviewed at CCOM (I believe it went well enough for an acceptance). I have until November 15 to decide at CUSOM and will hear back from CCOM at the end of October, leaving me little time to decide, hence the premature comparison between the schools.

CUSOM:

Pros:

• Closer to where I currently live than CCOM. It is about a 7 hour drive and is in the Southeast, where I am from. It is a reasonable distance to drive home on holidays or in the case of an emergency.

• I was offered the Dean's Scholarship worth $10k a year, which definitely helps towards tuition.

• Tuition is much cheaper than CCOM even without the scholarship. Cost-of-living is also lower in NC than in the Chicago area.

• My wife is definitely able to get a job in the area as there are many openings in her field near Raleigh.

• The facilities are very new and modern, as well as a friendly staff.

• Great first time pass rates on COMLEX and USMLE. Their first graduating class has the 11th highest scores of all DO schools.
Cons:

• The location is very rural. It is about an hour from Raleigh, but other than that the area is pretty barren.

• I am not sure about the quality of the rotations. I would like to stay at one place if possible for the entire rotation. Many of their sites are over an hour away.

• They are not as established as CCOM.

• I want to go into an IM specialty like Cardio, so I would need a good residency. I am not sure if CUSOM has a lot of exposure like CCOM would.

CCOM:

Pros:

• Very established and old school. Proven curriculum and up-to-date policies.

• Awesome rotation sites and match rates for residency. They have many Chicagoland hospitals associated with them. This would be good for getting into programs like Ortho or Cardio/GI.

• Great board scores and pass rates.

• One of, if not the best, DO schools in terms of academics and success.

• Very friendly staff as well.

• The area around the school is great and there are many places/things to do in the immediate area.

• Close to a major city like Chicago.

Cons:

• Very hefty price tag on the tuition. It would cost practically twice as much as CUSOM.

• Much farther away from home (I like in GA). It would not be as convenient to come back to the South if needed for an emergency/for holidays.

• It might not be as easy for my wife to find a job.

• Cost-of-living is much higher.

Overall, I am not sure what I should do. Should I go for the more expensive route with a reputable school, or go for the cheaper route with a new, but seemingly great, school? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about CCOM except that it is much more expensive and it's "the best". CUSOM is great all around, maybe not excellent, but it sounds like it offers more things for you and your wife - potential for her to have a job, closer to home, good community, etc. CCOM probably has better academics, but unless you're a terrible student, I don't think that matters and you would have the potential to succeed at CUSOM.

Btw, Buies Creek to Raleigh is 45 minutes. And if you live in Fuquay-Varina, Raleigh is only like 30 minutes away. My partner and I visited there while I interviewed and I liked it a lot. It felt very homey and had places to eat and drink.

CCOM may be a good way to get into those specialties, but you also have to remember they are competitive to begin with and you need excellent board scores. A higher amount of support, lower COA, and family happiness may help in that regard. Just my two cents!

Reactions: 1 user
I know nothing about CCOM except that it is much more expensive and it's "the best". CUSOM is great all around, maybe not excellent, but it sounds like it offers more things for you and your wife - potential for her to have a job, closer to home, good community, etc. CCOM probably has better academics, but unless you're a terrible student, I don't think that matters and you would have the potential to succeed at CUSOM.

Btw, Buies Creek to Raleigh is 45 minutes. And if you live in Fuquay-Varina, Raleigh is only like 30 minutes away. My partner and I visited there while I interviewed and I liked it a lot. It felt very homey and had places to eat and drink.

CCOM may be a good way to get into those specialties, but you also have to remember they are competitive to begin with and you need excellent board scores. A higher amount of support, lower COA, and family happiness may help in that regard. Just my two cents!

Thank you for the feedback! That is a lot of what I was thinking as well. The cost of CCOM is pretty high, and I am sure I could succeed at CUSOM. The area is very nice and it is a great, hometown community.

Thank you for the feedback! That is a lot of what I was thinking as well. The cost of CCOM is pretty high, and I am sure I could succeed at CUSOM. The area is very nice and it is a great, hometown community.

No problem! Yeah, I honestly think the hype about schools is overrated. Work hard, be brilliant, and you will get somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your exact same shoes 3 years ago and chose the "cheaper" option. Now, I totally regret it. CCOM has been around for more than 100 years. They know what they are doing. The price tag is hefty though and something to consider.

I was in your exact same shoes 3 years ago and chose the "cheaper" option. Now, I totally regret it. CCOM has been around for more than 100 years. They know what they are doing. The price tag is hefty though and something to consider.
Do you mind me asking which school you chose to attend?

In my discussion with the DO's I work with, many of them recommended going to the cheapest school possible (if you only get into DO schools). I've heard similar advice on this site- that when it comes to DO schools, reputation really does not matter too much, and PD's look at all DO schools very similarly, meaning what matters most are things that are pretty school independent (basically boards and away rotations). I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but I've seen that sentiment repeated many times on this site.

Should note this is coming from someone who is accepted at CUSOM lol. Applied to CCOM as well, waiting to hear back.

CUSOM hands down has provided me with better opportunities and education than my friends at "top tier schools"

CCOM is not worth the price tag.

"I would need a good residency" lol. This was precisely the same mentality I had going into medical school - I ended up switching specialties (and I was one of those people who was absolutely 100% committed to cardiology mind you)...and I'm seeing IMG's left and right get accepted to the in-house cardiology fellowship, from our in-house very middle-of-the-road to below-average internal medicine residency.

Keep an open mind, and best of luck with making your decision!

If you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on this a little bit?

I can write a whole post on why I think this is the case but i'll give the cliff notes:

1.) Faculty/Administration - They treat you like a colleague from day one. You can go to any office at any time and feel like you're at home and not a bother to anyone. Amazing lectures that are truly focused to WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW. No fat (for the most part)... I have multiple cell phone numbers and get random emails from faculty personally checking in or cracking jokes. THEY ALSO LISTEN - this is huge- they want to know what they can be doing better and what they should keep doing.

2.) Early clinical experiences if you want them - and i'm not just talking about shadowing a doctor to waste a Friday afternoon. You will be seeing patients on your own in the school clinic (Under guidance of course). But you will be seeing, doing the physical, coming up with your plan, presenting to the attending, and then executing within 2 months of starting 1st year

3.) Our sim lab is amazing and GASP - we actually get to use it.

4.) We have a real university backing us

5.) Tuition is (still high) but lower than CCOM

6.) Our rotation sites are FANTASTIC - CCOM has strong rotation sites but I still love our sites

7.) Between our clinical experiences, sim lab, clinical labs we are hands down more prepared and CONFIDENT in our clinical knowledge and skills to be dropped into most situations and be competent .... (More than I can say that I saw as a scribe in Chicago and seeing 3/4th years from other "higher tier" med schools rotating through)

In my opinion, the school "gets" the process and builds you up and sets you up for success. You can look at our board scores as well as residency placements. We are better and or on par with many "top tier" schools and we have only been around for 5 years. And no, i'm not being biased because if you look at many new schools they are TEEERRRIIBBLLEEE at making you into a competent student doctor. There is a reason that most estabilished schools are switching to the curriculum that CUSOM has had since day 1. They took what works and what does not work and formed a fantastic pre-clinical and clincial experience. Only REAL gripe I have with the school is the mandatory attendance but I have a feeling in a few years this will be dropped. If you have any other questions ask away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can write a whole post on why I think this is the case but i'll give the cliff notes:

1.) Faculty/Administration - They treat you like a colleague from day one. You can go to any office at any time and feel like you're at home and not a bother to anyone. Amazing lectures that are truly focused to WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW. No fat (for the most part)... I have multiple cell phone numbers and get random emails from faculty personally checking in or cracking jokes. THEY ALSO LISTEN - this is huge- they want to know what they can be doing better and what they should keep doing.

2.) Early clinical experiences if you want them - and i'm not just talking about shadowing a doctor to waste a Friday afternoon. You will be seeing patients on your own in the school clinic (Under guidance of course). But you will be seeing, doing the physical, coming up with your plan, presenting to the attending, and then executing within 2 months of starting 1st year

3.) Our sim lab is amazing and GASP - we actually get to use it.

4.) We have a real university backing us

5.) Tuition is (still high) but lower than CCOM

6.) Our rotation sites are FANTASTIC - CCOM has strong rotation sites but I still love our sites

7.) Between our clinical experiences, sim lab, clinical labs we are hands down more prepared and CONFIDENT in our clinical knowledge and skills to be dropped into most situations and be competent .... (More than I can say that I saw as a scribe in Chicago and seeing 3/4th years from other "higher tier" med schools rotating through)

In my opinion, the school "gets" the process and builds you up and sets you up for success. You can look at our board scores as well as residency placements. We are better and or on par with many "top tier" schools and we have only been around for 5 years. And no, i'm not being biased because if you look at many new schools they are TEEERRRIIBBLLEEE at making you into a competent student doctor. There is a reason that most estabilished schools are switching to the curriculum that CUSOM has had since day 1. They took what works and what does not work and formed a fantastic pre-clinical and clincial experience. Only REAL gripe I have with the school is the mandatory attendance but I have a feeling in a few years this will be dropped. If you have any other questions ask away.

Oooooh fun, I'll play.

1) CCOM has the same open door policies. Faculty share their cell phone #s and go to social events with students.
2) CCOM probably has too many required early clinical experience. In addition to the required clinical experiences, there are numerous volunteer opportunities in the clinical setting.
3) CCOM has every imaginable simulation equipment. They don't show all of it on the interview tours because it should be a standard in medical school. I went on interviews at other schools where all they would talk about is how medical students would be using their new ultrasound lab. That's old news at CCOM.
4) Having an affiliation with a small undergraduate has no relevance to the medical school.
5) I probably pay nearly the same amount as you pay by living with family.
6) Cool! I hope you see some good pathology at CUSOM.
7) CCOM rotates with the other Chicago MD schools, and based on preceptor feedback CCOM students are clinically up to par with the MD students.

It's nice that a new school put's their students first, but make no mistake: mandatory attendance is a HUGE downfall in the medical school curriculum. CCOM only has mandatory lab, which is a huge positive.

Compare their match rates and where people go and into what specialties. Obviously picking med school is a big deal but it’s really just a bridge to get into residency so make sure wherever you go provides you with the opportunity to match where you want to go as well. If a school has 80% of people matching community FM, I would suggest figuring out why.

Oooooh fun, I'll play.

1) CCOM has the same open door policies. Faculty share their cell phone #s and go to social events with students.
2) CCOM probably has too many required early clinical experience. In addition to the required clinical experiences, there are numerous volunteer opportunities in the clinical setting.
3) CCOM has every imaginable simulation equipment. They don't show all of it on the interview tours because it should be a standard in medical school. I went on interviews at other schools where all they would talk about is how medical students would be using their new ultrasound lab. That's old news at CCOM.
4) Having an affiliation with a small undergraduate has no relevance to the medical school.
5) I probably pay nearly the same amount as you pay by living with family.
6) Cool! I hope you see some good pathology at CUSOM.
7) CCOM rotates with the other Chicago MD schools, and based on preceptor feedback CCOM students are clinically up to par with the MD students.

It's nice that a new school put's their students first, but make no mistake: mandatory attendance is a HUGE downfall in the medical school curriculum. CCOM only has mandatory lab, which is a huge positive.

Ohhhh fun, let me play the "Original Six Dick Measuring Game" too (Side note - I got accepted to CCOM and Kirksville and still chose to go to CUSOM)

1.) "Open door" and truly open door are different things - from what i've heard from friends at CCOM and other schools, CUSOM is much better in this aspect. You can say w/e you want but i'm explaining by experiences.
2.) Required as in forcing you to go shadow someone? - ya, seems like a waste a time. You should fix that
3.) I'm sure CCOM has great sim lab equipment - CUSOM is one of only 2 schools in the nation to have hololense technology integrated into the curriculum and are working with technology companies at bringing this technology nation wide..... But besides the point - we actually get to use our lab unlike other schools from what i've been told.
4.) Actually - being part of a very well known undergrad university in the state has plenty of relevancy considering CUSOM can and is now starting UNIVERSITY residency programs that the general public can recognize. Not saying CCOM doesnt have this but your comment is just downright mind numbing
5.) Not a chance - LOL - your extra 20K a year in tuition alone will put you 100K more in debt than I will be walking out of school (BTW, both schools are expensive... but nice try)
6.) You mean us rotating with UNC, duke, and Wake med students won't give me the proper education I need... Damn - I'm so sad to be in my position right now.... Especially when i'll be rotating at a level 1 trauma center with close to 1,000 beds as a DO student
7.) Look at number 6 - Cool story bro.

Already told you that mandatory attendance is the ONE bad thing about CUSOM. Everything else you said is null... I'll add this though - 50-60 degree winters, having the beach/mountains an hour away, and low living expenses on top of the lower tuition combined with everything i've mentioned had me decide to attend CUSOM. Add that with our match, passing rates on COMLEX and Step 1 (Not just passing, but blowing it out of the water) - I feel CUSOM is the better choice. Others will disagree but that is their opinion and they are free to have it.

and is now starting UNIVERSITY residency programs that the general public can recognize.

I have no bone in this but just want to clarify that CUSOM is not opening university residency programs. They are all community. University programs are residency programs affiliated with the university hospital with the university or university hospital as the ACGME sponsoring institution.

Ohhhh fun, let me play the "Original Six Dick Measuring Game" too (Side note - I got accepted to CCOM and Kirksville and still chose to go to CUSOM)

1.) "Open door" and truly open door are different things - from what i've heard from friends at CCOM and other schools, CUSOM is much better in this aspect. You can say w/e you want but i'm explaining by experiences.
2.) Required as in forcing you to go shadow someone? - ya, seems like a waste a time. You should fix that
3.) I'm sure CCOM has great sim lab equipment - CUSOM is one of only 2 schools in the nation to have hololense technology integrated into the curriculum and are working with technology companies at bringing this technology nation wide..... But besides the point - we actually get to use our lab unlike other schools from what i've been told.
4.) Actually - being part of a very well known undergrad university in the state has plenty of relevancy considering CUSOM can and is now starting UNIVERSITY residency programs that the general public can recognize. Not saying CCOM doesnt have this but your comment is just downright mind numbing
5.) Not a chance - LOL - your extra 20K a year in tuition alone will put you 100K more in debt than I will be walking out of school (BTW, both schools are expensive... but nice try)
6.) You mean us rotating with UNC, duke, and Wake med students won't give me the proper education I need... Damn - I'm so sad to be in my position right now.... Especially when i'll be rotating at a level 1 trauma center with close to 1,000 beds as a DO student
7.) Look at number 6 - Cool story bro.

Already told you that mandatory attendance is the ONE bad thing about CUSOM. Everything else you said is null... I'll add this though - 50-60 degree winters, having the beach/mountains an hour away, and low living expenses on top of the lower tuition combined with everything i've mentioned had me decide to attend CUSOM. Add that with our match, passing rates on COMLEX and Step 1 (Not just passing, but blowing it out of the water) - I feel CUSOM is the better choice. Others will disagree but that is their opinion and they are free to have it.

So defensive. I never said anything to discredit CUSOM, nor demeaning (other than mandatory attendance) towards CUSOM. Every new DO school should model what CUSOM has done, but if your going to make statements about CCOM, I'm justified as a student at CCOM to counteract any false claims towards the school that I actually attend.
Is CCOM perfect? No. Is CCOM expensive? Yes. But I will stand by my claims.
1) I'll explain by experience as well: all clinical and academic faculty have what you call "truly open door".
2) The clinical experiences require a full physical on an actual patient, SOAP note, and a presentation to the attending.
3) We get to use the fun gadgets and technology all the time!
4) Wrong.
5) I said nearly. I know how much CUSOM costs and stand by my claim.
6) I don't understand your response, but good for you.
7) Your experience was as a scribe. You have no say in what attendings think of CCOM students.

So defensive. I never said anything to discredit CUSOM, nor demeaning (other than mandatory attendance) towards CUSOM. Every new DO school should model what CUSOM has done, but if your going to make statements about CCOM, I'm justified as a student at CCOM to counteract any false claims towards the school that I actually attend.
Is CCOM perfect? No. Is CCOM expensive? Yes. But I will stand by my claims.
1) I'll explain by experience as well: all clinical and academic faculty have what you call "truly open door".
2) The clinical experiences require a full physical on an actual patient, SOAP note, and a presentation to the attending.
3) We get to use the fun gadgets and technology all the time!
4) Wrong.
5) I said nearly. I know how much CUSOM costs and stand by my claim.
6) I don't understand your response, but good for you.
7) Your experience was as a scribe. You have no say in what attendings think of CCOM students.

Hey - I just came in like a wrecking ball like you did - now that we got back down to a civil conversation lets talk it out so other students have a better understanding for the future and their decisions
1.) Hey, thats your experience and thats great. I've heard from many other students and i'm just going with that
2.) Still dumb to have required clinical experiences like this until at least 3rd block - I don't know enough about this from CCOM's perspective but i'll call it a wash since both schools have this. Only thing "Required" by CUSOM is for 1st years to follow an elderly couple in the community like you are their main physician.
3.) Not all about the gadgets/technology - being able to integrate it into the curriculum and experiences is whats key. From what I have seen, been told, and heard - CUSOM is one of the leaders today in this
4.) Not wrong.... like at all. At to respond to the other person - CUSOM has plans to open a university hospital - It would have been built originally however local politics elected to keep another hospital open for the near future.
5.) Just be honest ... CCOM is $67,800 in TUITION ALONE .... CUSOM is 45,000. You are blatantly lying. Add in living expenses outside of chicago and students are looking at close to 90K a year? Thats absurd for an already absurd amount of money expected for this degree.
6.) You argued that CCOM is "Better" because you rotate with MD students in different spots. You clearly overlooked the fact that I stated we rotate with UNC, DUKE, and Wake Forest Students just like you rotate with MD students in chicago - Again, you are wrong
7.) LOL - i'm pretty sure working side by side with attendings for 12 hour shifts at a time will allow me to hear the opinions of attendings (BTW, i'm not talking about CCOM students... i'm talking about UIC and RF students)

Again - Location - 1 hour from the mountains, beach, and 30 minutes to a major city. Low living expenses and the winter here is 50-60 degrees. I'm sorry mate, but the price tag does not justify the education and many would agree with me. Add that with our board scores and placements (1st year of placements btw) and it's hard to argue with results.

5.) Just be honest ... CCOM is $67,800 in TUITION ALONE .... CUSOM is 45,000. You are blatantly lying.
From the AACOM website ACoL/year for CUSOM is $29,342 plus health insurance and fees. Lets cut that in half to be conservative. CUSOM is now at ~$60,000, only ~$8,000 more than I pay (as I stated living with family, as do many students). Some students need close to $100,000, but not all students like you are assuming. So, actually I am not lying.

Not wrong.... like at all. At to respond to the other person - CUSOM has plans to open a university hospital - It would have been built originally however local politics elected to keep another hospital open for the near future

But it is wrong and misleading to say they are opening university residency programs.... because that’s not what they are doing. When they build that hospital and open a bunch of residencies with it then what you said will be true. Until then I am extremely skeptical it will ever happen.

You clearly overlooked the fact that I stated we rotate with UNC, DUKE, and Wake Forest

As I personally know people at CUSOM I’m going to call you out a bit on this is as it is also misleading.... the majority of CUSOM students do not rotate with these other schools/students.

CUSOM is a great school, especially for a new one, but your description is simply false advertising. And you can’t play off the mandatory attendance, that isn’t just a little something to brush over, it’s a HUGE negative.

From the AACOM website ACoL/year for CUSOM is $29,342 plus health insurance and fees. Lets cut that in half to be conservative. CUSOM is now at ~$60,000, only ~$8,000 more than I pay (as I stated living with family, as do many students). Some students need close to $100,000, but not all students like you are assuming. So, actually I am not lying.

Financial Information CCOM
Tuition and Fees
  • 2016-17 annual resident tuition: $65,175
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident tuition: $65,175
  • 2016-17 annual resident fees: $688
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident fees: $688
  • 2016-17 annual health insurance fee: $4,048
Financial Information CUSOM
Tuition and Fees
  • 2016-17 annual resident tuition: $44,300
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident tuition: $44,300
  • 2016-17 annual resident fees: $1,680
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident fees: $1,680
  • 2016-17 annual health insurance fee: $2,400
I stand by my statement

Financial Information CCOM
Tuition and Fees
  • 2016-17 annual resident tuition: $65,175
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident tuition: $65,175
  • 2016-17 annual resident fees: $688
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident fees: $688
  • 2016-17 annual health insurance fee: $4,048
Financial Information CUSOM
Tuition and Fees
  • 2016-17 annual resident tuition: $44,300
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident tuition: $44,300
  • 2016-17 annual resident fees: $1,680
  • 2016-17 annual non-resident fees: $1,680
  • 2016-17 annual health insurance fee: $2,400
I stand by my statement
Cost of Living? I never denied the tuition differences.
Like I said, many students at CCOM live with family. My class is approximately 50-60% from the Chicago area. This reduces the cost of living for many students. CUSOM does not have a significant student population from the area where the school is located. This requires taking out loans to cover the cost of living. A student who maxes out loans at CUSOM is at $77,722/year. You are assuming ALL CCOM students take out $100,000/year in loans, which is not true.
Questions?