CUSOM vs. KCU-Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nearly_There

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends! I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two schools and am going back and forth between the two. I could use some insight from others to help break the tie in my mind.

KCU-Joplin:
  • Pros
    • Honors/Pass/Fail with an internal ranking.
    • More established of the two.
    • First class had strong matches into a broad range of specialties.
    • Has dual-degree options that I am interested in.
    • Lower tuition by almost 10k.
    • Located in a bigger city than CUSOM.
    • Good amount of clinical rotation sites around the country.
  • Cons
    • The student panel didn't leave the greatest impression on me, spoke highly of the school but didn't seem too happy to be there.
    • Less Board prep resources.
    • Seems like there won't be as many opportunities for Research as CUSOM but i'm sure you can find it.
CUSOM
  • Pros
    • Lots of great outreach programs in the community.
    • Research is built into the curriculum and there are plenty of opportunities in the surrounding areas to get involved in.
    • Has partnered to create fantastic GME in the surrounding areas in a wide range of specialties.
    • Rotations seem pretty good, maybe not as robust as KCU but they are all within NC.
    • Great board pass rates
    • Week breaks given after each block which could be nice.
    • Got a great vibe from the students and faculty both on and after the interview.
  • Cons
    • Location is more Rural, but I grew up 10 mins from the school so I am used to it.
    • 70-80% attendance policy and dress code.
    • Letter grading, but I suppose this is comparative to internal ranking.
    • More expensive by 10k

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current 4th year from KCU Joplin. Research is there is you want it. I know many who got on projects. I am also a dual degree student so I didn't pursue research but I feel that my time with my dual degree was beneficial. While the school didn't buy many board prep resources, our student council organized a group buy so we got discounts which helped a ton. Overall, I am happy here and feel I have had great training.