CUSOM VS LMU-DCOM KNOXVILLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to receive an acceptance from LMU-DCOM (I opted for Knoxville location) and I’m on the waitlist for CUSOM but I’m hopeful to get off. I am having trouble deciding which one to attend, and I want to have my decision ready to decide whether or not to stay on waitlist for CUSOM. I’m leaning more toward CUSOM based on their clinical rotation sites but wanted other opinions. What do you think and why?

About me: From New England, strongly interested in Psychiatry. Just took 3 gap years. Moving by myself, no family or S/O coming with me.

LMU-DCOM:

Pros:
  • State of the art facilities
  • Friendly environment
  • Knoxville city location
  • Classes are not mandatory, but I probably would go to class anyway
Cons:
  • Far away from family
  • Not sure if I want to be “guinea pig” being a part of first class at Knoxville
  • I heard they don’t have clinical rotation sites set up yet to accommodate the new campus. Admissions has assured me not to worry, but I am worried about the quality of rotations if they have to scramble to get them
  • Did not see or hear about a SIM lab when I toured Harrogate campus
CUSOM:

Pros:
  • Beautiful facilities
  • Friendly, supportive environment
  • State of the art SIM Lab
  • Close with UNC and Duke for research and other opportunities
  • Established rotation sites with them adding 1 or 2 each year
  • Felt like I connected more with faculty and students when I interviewed
Cons:
  • Far away from family
  • More rural location (but nothing I’m not used to)
  • Dress code (not a huge deal, but I like being comfortable in class)
  • Mandatory attendance, but I will attend class anyway because realistically I won’t watch the lectures at home. Just don’t know how easy it is to miss for personal/sick days

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not going to vote, but I think you should also evaluate the fact that LMU has recently been dinged by the AOA (aka heightened accreditation monitoring).

Reactions: 1 user