CUSOM vs. WCUCOM vs. VCOM-Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_swimswithfish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Yes, this is another one of those threads but I really need help and have no one IRL that understands and can provide valuable insight. I'm OOS for all places. Tuition is roughly the same across all 3 schools, so that is not a concern for me.

Some background about me: I am married and have a cat. Former D1 athlete. BS and MS in Neuroscience. Right now I have a passion for neurology, sports medicine, and pediatrics. Rural medicine is cool and I prefer smaller towns to big cities.

CUSOM:
Pros:
New school so new facilities and gadgets and whatnot
Amazing staff and current students (that I met)
For lack of better terminology, they seem to have their **** together
Good 3rd and 4th year rotations
Already had great board pass rates
I love the state of North Carolina

Cons:
New school so not established or fully accredited yet

William Carey:
Pros:
Nicest staff ever, seriously felt like I was family there
Have interesting classes like oral health and disaster management
Have accreditation
Improving board scores
Rotation sites are plenty and are willing to fit us wherever we want to go

Cons:
[Edited out cuz I'm silly]
Area might be too similar to where I live now and I dislike where I live

VCOM-Auburn:
Pros:
Accredited
New branch so has new facilities
Attached to Auburn, which means they have access to plenty of resources
Sports Medicine opportunities
Awesome rec center
War Damn

Cons:
Felt some of the staff there weren't as friendly or accessible as the other schools
My husband's whole family lives in Alabama and he would prefer not living so close
Current students had just finished block 1 and were a bit complainy about the school (could have just been venting though)
Only have 1st years so I really do not know if their pass rates will follow VCOMs other campuses

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on pros and cons list, I would probably choose CUSOM. I chose not to accept my II to William Carey because of various reasons: board score performance, area, etc. I think most of the residencies are in-state and some are even close to WCU, so if you dislike where you live now, you might end up working there. Not sure how VCOM's rotations sites will be since I don't know much about the school, but I'm guessing that the Auburn campus will likely have their rotations in Alabama (bad news for your husband), unless you can go to the rotation sites at the other affiliated campuses. I feel like if the only con you have on CUSOM is that they only have provisional accreditation, it should be a non-issue because they all have this (one correction I'd like to make is that I think WCU is fully accredited).

Reactions: 1 user
My choice: CUSOM. Their rotations look solid.

In all seriousness why does WCU only have provisional accreditation? They should be full accredited by now.

I don't recommend VCOM-auburn. ACOM will have priority for clinical rotations and will be muscling out VCOM-auburn for the local rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man! William Carey is fully accredited... I have no idea why I thought they weren't!
Thanks for catching that!

Also, know that CUSOM has a push for primary care, if you're interested in that.

I'd probably vote cusom too. They have mandatory attendance and a dress code both are things to consider

Reactions: 1 user
I like the dress code. And the attendance is okay...they allow you to have headphones on for lectures you know you won't listen to.