CUSOM vs WVSOM vs NSU DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdout19!

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was initially fumbling between WV and NSU but I’ve just been accepted to Campbell and would greatly appreciate advice from y’all.

I’ve heard all of the negative things about NSU already, so if anyone has anything nice to say about it that’d be great.

I think I’m leaning CUSOM at this point. Although it’s a newer school, the first time pass comlex rates have been >95% the past five years. They’re the only school to keep track of the USMLE pass rates of the 3 schools in questions, and it’s a whopping 99% 5 year average. I don’t know much about their clinical rotations and I’m hoping to find out more about that in the coming weeks.

To me, WVSOM seems very similar to CUSOM as they’re both rural location wise. I can’t think of anything that WVSOM is better at besides the fact it’s been around longer. They have great match rates but Campbells match rates might even be better, at like 99.5%.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks so much y’all

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably lean towards WVSOM because it's a state school and therefore would have more resources for students. That translates into better residency matches in terms of competitive programs and specialties. CUSOM is also doing a great job for a newer school, if you don't mind dress code and mandatory lectures, then it's not a bad choice either. I would go WVSOM or CUSOM over NSU.

I was actually accepted to WVSOM and CUSOM as well and I have decided to go with CUSOM. It is one cheaper, which does matter to me. I disagree with the above about resources for students because WVSOM is a stand alone school and CUSOM had a sizeable undergraduate school associated with it so there tend to be some more research opportunities. Yeah the dress code and attendance policy are annoying but also the attendance is "mandatory" but they allow quite a few absences.

Also, they are different kinds of rural. WVSOM is RURAL like, nothing close, and the closest "cities" are still very small. CUSOM like 45 minutes from the RDU airport, 30 minutes from Garner (not huge but a good size area" and maybe 45 minutes from Raleigh.

Both seem good though. Good luck, and maybe I will see you next Fall!

I was actually accepted to WVSOM and CUSOM as well and I have decided to go with CUSOM. It is one cheaper, which does matter to me. I disagree with the above about resources for students because WVSOM is a stand alone school and CUSOM had a sizeable undergraduate school associated with it so there tend to be some more research opportunities. Yeah the dress code and attendance policy are annoying but also the attendance is "mandatory" but they allow quite a few absences.

Also, they are different kinds of rural. WVSOM is RURAL like, nothing close, and the closest "cities" are still very small. CUSOM like 45 minutes from the RDU airport, 30 minutes from Garner (not huge but a good size area" and maybe 45 minutes from Raleigh.

Both seem good though. Good luck, and maybe I will see you next Fall!
Yeah I remember my interview at WVSOM and one of the professors was like there’s no research here, don’t come here if you want that. I personally don’t care too much about research but it’d be nice to have the opportunity available.

I could care less about dress code/attendance. Not a factor for me.

My biggest deciding factor is the quality of the clinical rotations. I feel like WVSOM, since it’s been around so long, has good ones. I’m unsure about Campbells. I’m speaking with an adcom next week in hopes to figure this out.

Do you know about there rotations at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the person you responded to but I also have an acceptance to CUSOM and from what I heard on my interview day their rotations sounded pretty solid in that they are set up for you, you can choose to stay there for the whole year, and I believe they may also be wards based (I'm not 100% certain this is true) which is interesting to see. I have also heard they get to rotate with Wake Forest students which is cool.

Not the person you responded to but I also have an acceptance to CUSOM and from what I heard on my interview day their rotations sounded pretty solid in that they are set up for you, you can choose to stay there for the whole year, and I believe they may also be wards based (I'm not 100% certain this is true) which is interesting to see. I have also heard they get to rotate with Wake Forest students which is cool.
Hey thanks for your input. What does wards based mean? I’ve noticed looking at other schools match lists, that some match at Campbell. Does Campbell have a hospital system?

So I don't know too much about pros/cons to either model but I've heard wards-based rotations have interns, residents, and attending physicians where the preceptor model is more just you and the attending. Students match at Campbell because they have an extensive GME catalog of 22 ACGME accredited programs in residencies like EM, IM, FM, OB/GYN, Psychiatry, General Surgery, and Dermatology which is honestly one of the main selling points for me in terms of the strength of this school.

So I don't know too much about pros/cons to either model but I've heard wards-based rotations have interns, residents, and attending physicians where the preceptor model is more just you and the attending. Students match at Campbell because they have an extensive GME catalog of 22 ACGME accredited programs in residencies like EM, IM, FM, OB/GYN, Psychiatry, General Surgery, and Dermatology which is honestly one of the main selling points for me in terms of the strength of this school.
Yeah I have heard rotating at sites that have residents and attendings etc is a big pro. I’m looking forward to speaking with the CUSOM adcom next week and finding out some more details.

Do you think you’ll accept their offer? I just got two new IIs from RVU and Touro but I honestly may decline them straight up because CUSOM sounds so nice

Hey guys. I was initially fumbling between WV and NSU but I’ve just been accepted to Campbell and would greatly appreciate advice from y’all.

I’ve heard all of the negative things about NSU already, so if anyone has anything nice to say about it that’d be great.

I think I’m leaning CUSOM at this point. Although it’s a newer school, the first time pass comlex rates have been >95% the past five years. They’re the only school to keep track of the USMLE pass rates of the 3 schools in questions, and it’s a whopping 99% 5 year average. I don’t know much about their clinical rotations and I’m hoping to find out more about that in the coming weeks.

To me, WVSOM seems very similar to CUSOM as they’re both rural location wise. I can’t think of anything that WVSOM is better at besides the fact it’s been around longer. They have great match rates but Campbells match rates might even be better, at like 99.5%.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks so much y’all
Pick whichever school has the least tuition.

I haven't decided on their offer yet. I may accept it to see if I get one of their merit scholarships and then go from there. Right now it's tied with my other acceptance (ACOM) because they both seem to be solid schools. I would attend your II to RVU to see if it turns into anything, rejecting an interview before a potential offer seems risky because you may end up liking that program more on the interview day (that's what happened to me and CUSOM).

I haven't decided on their offer yet. I may accept it to see if I get one of their merit scholarships and then go from there. Right now it's tied with my other acceptance (ACOM) because they both seem to be solid schools. I would attend your II to RVU to see if it turns into anything, rejecting an interview before a potential offer seems risky because you may end up liking that program more on the interview day (that's what happened to me and CUSOM).
It’s the Utah campus tho so I’m kinda meh about it. You’re probably right tho, especially after paying all that money to apply. Why do you say RVU and not Touro?

I don't know too much about either school, but from researching different schools, it sounded like one of the Touro's was a difficult school to attend whereas RVU seemed decent, and you have nicer options already with CUSOM and WVSOM.

I don't know too much about either school, but from researching different schools, it sounded like one of the Touro's was a difficult school to attend whereas RVU seemed decent, and you have nicer options already with CUSOM and WVSOM.
RVU kinda worries me just because I know it’s owned by the SGU people and it’s for profit

But Goro there’s only 3 grand difference per year between Campbell and WV. Would you choose WVSOM because it’s more established? Campbell seems great tho. I’m conflicted.
Both good schools.

Tally up the plusses and minuses, and go with the one with more plusses. Then sleep on it; if it passes the sleep test, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I've heard that and it's worried me too that's part of a reason why I didn't apply there. That and I was really only interested in East Coast/Appalachia schools and have like zero interest in living in Colorado or Utah. Honestly if you can't see yourself going there but could see going to WVSOM or CUSOM then turning down an II may not be that bad as long as you know you could end up liking the school on interview day.

Both good schools.

Tally up the plusses and minuses, and go with the one with more plusses. Then sleep on it; if it passes the sleep test, then go for it.
That’s a good idea. I’m going to do that. Thank you Goro.

Reactions: 1 user
RVU kinda worries me just because I know it’s owned by the SGU people and it’s for profit
Its not huge difference, but I do want to clarify that the company that owns SGU bought RVU a few years ago. They are owned by the same company, but they are completely different schools. Its not like SGU, the school, owns/controls RVU.

Its not huge difference, but I do want to clarify that the company that owns SGU bought RVU a few years ago. They are owned by the same company, but they are completely different schools. Its not like SGU, the school, owns/controls RVU.
Valid point. Thanks for clarifying.