customer service work, etc. -- AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boathouse34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been going back and forth on this...I have worked many customer service jobs over the years since I was 14. I loved the work, especially my supermarket job, and initially I wrote about this in the activities section of AMCAS. I then took it out because I figured, why do med schools care to read about my job as a cashier? I can't decide whether it adds something to my application - I really consider medicine to be customer service to some extent, and I wrote about that in my description - or whether an anecdote like this is better saved for an interview if they ask about employment?

I did mention in my PS that customer service jobs helped me discover my love of people...maybe that is enough...

ok, any thoughts welcome! good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should definitely mention it. Medicine is all about people, and communicating effectively with them is crucial. Customer service experience should help immensely in that department.

shiraz84 said:
I think you should definitely mention it. Medicine is all about people, and communicating effectively with them is crucial. Customer service experience should help immensely in that department.

I agree... I don't think that I would go overboard writing about your cashier position, but mention it and also what you just said about how it really helped you understand that you love to deal with people.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include it (all jobs lumped together) as employment in the EC section with a little blurb about how it has taught you about customer satisfaction and its relationship to patient satisfaction

OK thanks a lot guys. In case anybody is interested in ways to tackle the same issue...I basically did what the last poster suggested and made an activities entry called "customer service jobs" then in the description highlighted the supermarket job and why I think these jobs will help me in medicine.

Thanks again!

Personally I don't think it is worth putting on the application, unless you had this job during your school days. I mean, everyone has worked customer service at one point or another in thier lives. It is just pointless and would most likely be overlooked. If you have at least 8 other solid activities listed, there really is no need to put this down. The adcoms go for quality over quantity.

IgweEmeka said:
I mean, everyone has worked customer service at one point or another in thier lives.

Not necessarily true. But even if it is, not everyone gets the same out of similar opportunities (for example, almost every premed has, or should have, volunteered at a hospital, but not every person gets the same experience out of the opportunity). I doubt that every person who has worked a customer service job loved it in the way that boathouse described.

shiraz84 said:
Not necessarily true. But even if it is, not everyone gets the same out of similar opportunities (for example, almost every premed has, or should have, volunteered at a hospital, but not every person gets the same experience out of the opportunity). I doubt that every person who has worked a customer service job loved it in the way that boathouse described.
Are you serious, do you actually think that the adcoms are going to be swayed by the way a student felt about his customer service experience, c'mon, these people are reading thousands of applications and you think that customer service at TARGET or WALMART is going to sway the adcoms, no matter how you explain it. And as far as the volunteering comment, well volunteering in a hospital is imperative to medicine. I mean, I am not going to tell you what to put on your application but if you have at least 8 other solid activities, then you are good to go and there is no need for the customer service, communication bulls**t (sorry for my language but that is what it really is). Customer service and helping Mr. X to find male hair products in Aisle X is not the same as interacting with a patient who needs an organ transplant. I mean c'mon, think about it.

haha, you have clearly not done much customer service.

it takes a lot

good luck though...hope you dont come off so arrogant in your interviews...

IgweEmeka said:
Are you serious, do you actually think that the adcoms are going to be swayed by the way a student felt about his customer service experience,

Yes, we are.

And as far as the volunteering comment, well volunteering in a hospital is imperative to medicine.

ummm... no. There are other ways to learn about medicine and health care.

Customer service and helping Mr. X to find male hair products in Aisle X is not the same as interacting with a patient who needs an organ transplant. I mean c'mon, think about it.

You'd be surprised how much cross-training there is. Med school will teach you the technical stuff. Much of the rest is on the job training and the job can be at Walmart or the library circulation desk.

I was a checker in a grocery store. I mentioned it in my application. I think it helped (re: full tuition scholarship to medical school). If you wanna know what I wrote about, just let me know and I'll PM it to you.

IgweEmeka said:
volunteering in a hospital is imperative to medicine.

Nope, I had a job in a hospital but never volunteered. You don't learn awhole lot stocking shelves and changing bedsheets.

IgweEmeka said:
there is no need for the customer service, communication bulls**t (sorry for my language but that is what it really is). Customer service and helping Mr. X to find male hair products in Aisle X is not the same as interacting with a patient who needs an organ transplant. I mean c'mon, think about it

HAHA! The first time you have to deal with a patient complaint you're gonna wish you had the experience we got working in customer service.

Yep, I put my decade+ experience as a server on my application. I pointed out the aspects which relate to medicine. I included not just bland customer service but things such as diffusing the anger of irate customers, communicating with people of all cultures and ages, leading group training sessions, working efficiently while maintaining a friendly and helpful attitude and more. I worked all through undergrad and now, in graduate school. I think it is important, in my situation, to mention this work experience. It illustrates that even though I wasn't volunteering 40 hrs/week it's not like I was sitting at home eating bon-bons either.

I think those members of of an adcom that have worked in a similar job will certainly identify with me. Those who have never worked with the public might think it's a load of crap. I am willing to take the risk.