cut finger, ouch

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ohiowa, Nov 12, 2002.

1. ohiowa

ohiowa Member

so, i cut my finger with a swiss army knife today when wirking on a neighbor's hog farm. just the place you want to have an open wound. anyway, i don't want to spend the money for a trip to the ER and may wait until tuesday for the free clinic in town. the cut is quite deep (big flap o' skin coming off, baybe some muscle cut, total mobility, little pain but normal sense of touch), and on my index finger (lots o' blood). i let it bleed, washed it in warm/hit water thoroughlym, put some tripple antibiotic ointment on it and dressed it up nice. i had a similar cut in the past and was forced by my mom to get two stitches.

so my questions to the advice willing are:
    1) can i skip the stitches and just keep finger clean, dry and immobilized?

2) should i keep using tripple antibiotic ointment, which doesn't allow the wound much air contact (aiding and abetting anaerobes)?

3) what broad spec antibiotics, if any, would you use.

if you are a moron who is about to respond by giving me a hard time for posting a question like this here, please piss off.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Maple

if you are a moron who is about to respond by giving me a hard time for posting a question like this here, please piss off. [/B][/QUOTE]

welll...that took care of what I was going to say!!:D but seriously though..if the cut is that deep, perhaps you should have it looked at?:)

4. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster

Attending Physician
    That's a dirty wound -- not contaminated, but DIRTY.

I really have no idea how bad the wound is, so I can't comment on whether or not you'd need stitches or whether or not you cut muscle.

But are the extra couple of bucks you're gonna save by not going to the ER and waiting for the free clinic worth something bad happening to your finger? Just go have it looked at.

5. Mire

Mire Member

I'm sorry you cut your finger, I did that once and it hurt.

6. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I hate it when I do things like that!

Mom says you should have it checked out. ;)

7. ohiowa

ohiowa Member

thanks for the conservative feedback. ;)

i went to the free clinic today...too late for stitches, of course. i got a free course of antibiotics though. incidentally, the cut is healing nicely.

8. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    You could get all sorts of infections from that.

1. Tetanus
    2. Whatever is lurking around the hog farm (hogs have all sorts of diseases....

it also depends on how deep the wound is.
    i would definately get it looked at. You're asking for potential problems by not going