cut finger, ouch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiowa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, i cut my finger with a swiss army knife today when wirking on a neighbor's hog farm. just the place you want to have an open wound. anyway, i don't want to spend the money for a trip to the ER and may wait until tuesday for the free clinic in town. the cut is quite deep (big flap o' skin coming off, baybe some muscle cut, total mobility, little pain but normal sense of touch), and on my index finger (lots o' blood). i let it bleed, washed it in warm/hit water thoroughlym, put some tripple antibiotic ointment on it and dressed it up nice. i had a similar cut in the past and was forced by my mom to get two stitches.

so my questions to the advice willing are:
1) can i skip the stitches and just keep finger clean, dry and immobilized?

2) should i keep using tripple antibiotic ointment, which doesn't allow the wound much air contact (aiding and abetting anaerobes)?

3) what broad spec antibiotics, if any, would you use.

if you are a ***** who is about to respond by giving me a hard time for posting a question like this here, please piss off.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are a ***** who is about to respond by giving me a hard time for posting a question like this here, please piss off. [/B][/QUOTE]

welll...that took care of what I was going to say!!:D but seriously though..if the cut is that deep, perhaps you should have it looked at?:)

That's a dirty wound -- not contaminated, but DIRTY.

I really have no idea how bad the wound is, so I can't comment on whether or not you'd need stitches or whether or not you cut muscle.

But are the extra couple of bucks you're gonna save by not going to the ER and waiting for the free clinic worth something bad happening to your finger? Just go have it looked at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you cut your finger, I did that once and it hurt.

thanks for the conservative feedback. ;)

i went to the free clinic today...too late for stitches, of course. i got a free course of antibiotics though. incidentally, the cut is healing nicely.

You could get all sorts of infections from that.

1. Tetanus
2. Whatever is lurking around the hog farm (hogs have all sorts of diseases....

it also depends on how deep the wound is.
i would definately get it looked at. You're asking for potential problems by not going