Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cut-throat premeds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hercules, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus

Attending Physician
    There is definitely a general perception of premeds being cut-throat and arrogant. Personally, I have never experienced anything to support this perception. Actually most premeds I have met in person and on-line have been incredibly helpful and kind. What have you're experiences been? I'd love to hear anecdotes on both sides.
    -Mike

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Lawyer

Dr. Lawyer Member

Mike--

My experience has been similar to yours. However, I find that non-premeds often harbor resentment (be it ever so subtle) toward premeds. I'm not sure why this is so - perhaps this is only my perception. I am often criticized for excessive studying, and therefore I find premeds to be people I can relate to well. Non-premeds often poke fun at my typed notes and obsessively systematic academic approach. However, these people are usually the lazy ones who are just envious of having a career goal.

I can't say I blame a cut-throat premed - you're more likely to be rejected from med school than you are to be accepted. There's no sense in half-assing the preparation.

4. wooo

wooo Senior Member

In my school, biochemistry is required for premed bio majors and chemistry majors. You have never in your life witnessed such resentment. Most pre meds cruise through with high A's, while the chem majors struggle with substantially lower grades. Those chem majors resent the pre meds with a passion. They also resent the professor. I think other students do not realize how much med school means to pre meds, and do not like our competitive nature.

5. Although I have met many very "nice" premeds, I have also come across the arrogant, cut-throat jerks.

In a lab where I am doing research there was a pre-med whose father was good friends with the prof...hence the incredible opportunities that opened themselves up for this youngster...that being said, he was very intelligent and I respected that. But he was such a jerk!! He would walk out of the room when I was in mid-sentence or even just turn around and start talking to someone more "important" while I was asking him something.

On once occasion, I was in the building with my children. I was looking for a pen in one of the many un-labeled lab drawers and I found a bag of gummiworms. I took three single worms out for my kids and on Monday I asked in the lab who the worms belonged to...they were his. I explained that I had borrowed three and gave him $1 to buy new 2 full new bags for himself....they were the 2 for 1$ ones...and this guy got his nose so out of joint that he went to the professor and reported that I had stolen from him...and I had to sit through a lecture then by the prof.

He is an MS1 now, by the way....

Kris

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    It is my experience that close to 60% of the population of the United States are jerks.

Therefore, it is not suprising that many pre-meds are jerks. Pre-laws, poli sci, psych, math, and even music majors can be the same way.

Many people are cut-throat about their field if it means getting a better job, getting into a better school, or making more money.

Just a fact of life.

As for me...I'm nice.

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. mj

mj Senior Member

Josh, I'd say your number is a little low [​IMG]

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    mj:

SO sorry. I must have been a jerk for estimating as low as 60%.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

9. RL@UT

[email protected] Junior Member

Pre-meds come in all shapes and flavors:

Arrogant through Zen-centered [​IMG]

I admit that I would love to use the obnoxious ones as grist for my verbal mill, but why bother? It reduecs us all in the long run.

I don't discuss grades (with theses "cut throats" except to mention my
    level of satisfaction with the results I get after putting in an honest effort, etc.

I like to discus personal experiences, motivations and goals--and I keep in mind that I am the only one who can do this for me.

It's not hard to get caught up in the pre-med culture, but just keep it all in perspective...in the long run you do have a life outside all of this, and it's partially that knowledge which makes all of this worthwhile.

The best of luck to you.

------------------
    ----It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.

RL Stevenson