cutoff gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owleyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the cutoff GPA for New York Medical College? How about GWU?

Members don't see this ad.

owleyes said:

4.0....happy? :eek:

Anyone else know the accurate numbers?

Members don't see this ad :)
owleyes said:

I don't know of these schools have hard "cutoffs" but my guess is that they both have an average GPA of around 3.5

owleyes said:

MD schools should have a cutoff about 3.0, although there are acceptances for MD schools as low as 2.85 on MDapplicants. I wouldn't chance it and apply with less than a 3.0, however.

Oculus Sinistra said:
MD schools should have a cutoff about 3.0, although there are acceptances for MD schools as low as 2.85 on MDapplicants. I wouldn't chance it and apply with less than a 3.0, however.

I say no less than 3.0 too.

owleyes said:

Schools consider the whole applicant, and there are generally no firm cutoff numbers. Some schools do preliminary screens and will throw out most apps below a certain threshold, but again there is no fixed number published and that threshhold is up to each school.
So the way you need to approach this is look at the average matriculant numbers and see how far away from this average you are. If you are fairly far away, some form of postbac is likely in order. If you are close or above, then it is within range. But bear in mind that other credentials come into play and there are plenty of people with numbers higher than that of the average matriculant at any school who don't get in, due to weak PS, weak interviews, weak ECs, no clinical experience, academic infringements, etc. The list is endless.