CV for Senior Residents (help w/search...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TysonCook

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question (possibly for the mods):
Why does the search function not work with the phrase "CV"? :confused: I know it has to do with <5 letters, but it is a freq used abbreviation.

So I'll also ask again in the meantime...

Anyone have any pointers for CV's of senior residents who have not done too much? I have a couple of projects (not published) but otherwise, its the same as my MSIV year....hmmmm...hope I'm not alone :)

Members don't see this ad.

with the addition of that EM trained part.

with the addition of that EM trained part.
Yeah residency helps. if you moonlit that helps also depending on the job you can list talks you gave during residency. I bet you did more than you think and just havent thought it to be CV worthy. The advice I recieved from here is that part of it depends on community vs academic. Community seems to care less esp if you are planning on staying near where you trained since they will contact the PD whom they prob know (and same for your references).

Of course the CV should look clean professional and be without error.

thats the 2 cents i got from our seniors.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are now presumably "Board Eligible" and also current in "ATLS, ACLS, PALS" etc (sometimes the hospitals really care though the necessity for the actual badges for a BE/BC EP is a whole different debate)

Also, have you given any grand rounds or big lectures? Participated in Event Medicine, sports med, international programs etc with your residency? Professional memberships, community service related to EM?

It's true that the necessity of putting all of this stuff is also somewhat dependent upon your goals, but I bet you've done more than you realize.

Is there someone in your residency that helps you guys review contracts? That may be another good source for advice.

Best of luck.

you are now presumably "Board Eligible" and also current in "ATLS, ACLS, PALS" etc (sometimes the hospitals really care though the necessity for the actual badges for a BE/BC EP is a whole different debate)

ABEM really discourages the use of "board eligible" now.

couple things you can add to your cv.

grand round lectures done during residency

are you part of the code/resuscitation team of the hospital? you can list that
are you a trauma team leader during your last year/trauma rotation?

i would still write board eligible ABEM and put the year...

Ultrasound experience (big in community hospitals b/c this is a relatively new thing)

have you participated in workshops for medical students/interns (casting/splinting, suturing, etc)

list your state medical licenses, if you have any

as mentionned by others, list ACLS, ATLS, PALS

list membership to emra, acep, aaem, saem, etc

list language skills (esp spanish)

have you helped with interviewing of prospective residents? if so, you can list resident selection committee...

obviously research, abstracts, publications, book abstracts....

good luck... you can make your cv look much more substantial by doing the above

I know that quinn and I had a thread up. Try resume?