CV for shadowing, what should I put?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from a orthopedic surgeon, who asked me to submit a CV in response to a desire to shadow him.

What should I put on it? What is inappropriate, and what is appropriate? Grades in courses or just courses? no courses at all? EC's? Other clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

He probably just wants a resume. A CV is usually for publications, so unless you have any publications he wants a resume.

He probably just wants a resume. A CV is usually for publications, so unless you have any publications he wants a resume.

Well he said "CV" but anywho. What should I put on it, and what should I leave off?

Grades appropriate for it?

Members don't see this ad :)

No, CVs are more focused and usually less detailed than resumes.

He may end up using it to write a LOR down the line if you request one from him later, so include what you think would be relevant in this regard. I would include any relevant clinical volunteering/work you did prior. Also include any general volunteering you did. I would probably throw in GPA if you feel good about it.

Most of my professors have used CV instead of resume. I agree about the focused part though. Mine has (in all caps) EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, PUBLICATIONS, PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - and then that's broken down into "service" and like "conferences" or something around those lines

Many people use CV and resume interchangeably. You do not have to have publications on there (unless you have some). I would just start with education, work history, clubs, ECs, references.....I'm not sure what the standard is, but that is what I did for my shadowing experiences.