CV - Internship and Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliketohelppeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you list these positions on your CV? I have seen some folks list under education (and clinical training), or some have a separate category for "fellowships and awards." I am thinking it may depend on type of job one applies for (clinical or research) and type of fellowship, but do any of you have strong feelings?

I hope to apply for research/teaching gigs and my fellowship is clinical, but does have research component (~20%). I am thinking I want to minimize the amount of redundancy, but not sure what the best option is.

Members don't see this ad.

I find it useful to look up the CVs of whoever is interviewing you, and mimic that style.

Reactions: 2 users
Where would you list these positions on your CV? I have seen some folks list under education (and clinical training), or some have a separate category for "fellowships and awards." I am thinking it may depend on type of job one applies for (clinical or research) and type of fellowship, but do any of you have strong feelings?

I hope to apply for research/teaching gigs and my fellowship is clinical, but does have research component (~20%). I am thinking I want to minimize the amount of redundancy, but not sure what the best option is.

Never a bad idea to mimic the style of your future colleagues, as PSYDR pointed out.

But if you're looking for ideas, my postdoc is listed under education and training. I have a separate heading for academic appointments (reasonable to list here if your fellowship comes with an Instructor appointment), and another heading for awards and honors. I don't consider paid employment an award; however, I was awarded a competitive "fellowship" in grad school that consisted of tuition and living expenses for a year, and that did go into the awards category because it wasn't really a training position or employment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like MamaPhD, my internship and postdoc are listed under education and training, and (also like her) I have a separate heading for past academic appointments. I then have separate sections for internship and fellowship clinical experiences; I may jettison these at some point to shorten things up.

Reactions: 1 user
never seen to CVs alike. I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all for your feedback. I will definitely look at some of the people who will be interviewing me to have some cues.

Definitely agree that it is not as important in the grand scheme of things, and it is helpful to keep this in the back of my mind.

I think I will likely put both the fellowship and internship in the training session, as they are within that. My fellowship will have a joint appointment with an academic title which I will include in the education section, but I won't be doing any teaching under this.