CV or resume when applying to clinical positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aagman01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm hoping to get a formal post-doc position, and am (obviously) using a CV. However, if I am not fortunate enough to get a formal post-doc and apply for masters and clinical positions in the hopes of getting supervision hours, should I use my CV or create a truncated resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Use whatever document best reflects your training, experience, and productivity. This is most likely the CV. I have hired for several MA level clinical positions over the past few years, and it's been about 50/50- with half the applicants submitting resumes and half CVs. Applicants from more empirically based training programs (e.g. Behavioral Analysis masters) trend towards the CV, while those from less empirical training background (e.g. LMHC programs) trend towards the resume. The CV submitters tend to get the job- not because of the document format, but moreso because there training any experience are such that a CV is appropriate.

Last edited: