CV Question: 10 posters, a couple of them duplicates btween national & school symposiums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sending a CV for a conference committee position, and taking a look at my growing "posters" section. I have 10 posters, taking up most of a page. There are two instances in which a poster was presented at my medical school summer research poster day, and then presented at a national conference (so, each of those projects has the same poster presented twice). Keep all posters, or delete a couple "duplicates"?

Also: work history, needed? It describes my chronology by which labs/departments i've worked in at my home institution *since i was there during college*, (i.e. when I was doing basic science research in biochemistry over a couple summers). Waste of space to keep that in there? If i delete my old work, it doesn't mean i have to delete my current work right? (which is in the department of the specialty i want to match in)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sending a CV for a conference committee position, and taking a look at my growing "posters" section. I have 10 posters, taking up most of a page. There are two instances in which a poster was presented at my medical school summer research poster day, and then presented at a national conference (so, each of those projects has the same poster presented twice). Keep all posters, or delete a couple "duplicates"?

Also: work history, needed? It describes my chronology by which labs/departments i've worked in at my home institution *since i was there during college*, (i.e. when I was doing basic science research in biochemistry over a couple summers). Waste of space to keep that in there? If i delete my old work, it doesn't mean i have to delete my current work right? (which is in the department of the specialty i want to match in)

I guess it may depend on the culture of the institution, but listing the same exact poster multiple times on a CV under these circumstances would be padding in my neck of the woods.

Delete the duplicates, keeping the more prestigious events.

Happy holidays.

Something presented at a poster session at your school doesn't count and should not be on your CV. Furthermore you are not allowed to present the same work at two different conferences therefore this issue never comes up. So delete anything that was presented at your med school and you'll find that you no longer have this problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just keep it. You put together the work to present your research at a conference (even if it's at your medical school). There are also sometimes awards associated with these and it's not going to "hurt" or look like your padding your resume if you do. I'd be surprised if there are very many students who don't have a med school or undergrad conference presentation on their CV.

Also for this issue..... "Furthermore you are not allowed to present the same work at two different conferences therefore this issue never comes up."..... No. This is wrong. I've presented the same data at multiple conferences. I've also organized a workshop that I've done at 3 conferences so far for different audiences. You can certainly present on similar information at different conferences (tailored to your audience). Some abstract submission processes also have a question to check off whether the data has been presented before. The only automatic rejection you'll usually get from a conference committee is if your research has already been accepted for publication or is already in press.

You can keep each entry if you want, and if you have fewer than 10ish items I probably would. If you have enough volume, you can split your "presentations" section into a couple categories: something like "national presentations" and "institutional presentations" might work. This shows readers that you know the school presentations aren't a big deal, but you're leaving them there to present a full picture of your work.

I would also probably leave the old research on there. I am assuming that your CV is actually a CV and not a resume, in which case the information should not take up too much space.

I would say that you should list the title of the poster, and then two line items beneath that, each for when/where the poster was presented.

"5-azacytidine enriched media enhances cardiopotency of human hematopoietic stem cells"
- George Washington University Summer Medical Student Research Symposium, September 2013, District of Columbia
- American Heart Association ATVB conference, November 2013, Chicago, IL

Something presented at a poster session at your school doesn't count and should not be on your CV. Furthermore you are not allowed to present the same work at two different conferences therefore this issue never comes up. So delete anything that was presented at your med school and you'll find that you no longer have this problem.

Agree with this. For nearly every conference known to man, you are required to state that you have not and will not present the same work at another conference. Thus, absolutely do not include duplicates.

I have a related question. I gave an oral presentation for Grand Rounds and at a conference (as well as a shortened version for our med school research day) with the same research. Also not good to include all of these on a CV?

Agree with this. For nearly every conference known to man, you are required to state that you have not and will not present the same work at another conference. Thus, absolutely do not include duplicates.

I am almost certain this only applies to professional organizations - if you present a title as a seminar or as a poster at a school symposium, you may subsequently present it at a national conference. A lot of the students from my graduate program did this, and it was never an issue. If you presented something at SFN and then at Society of Neuro-ONC you may run into trouble, however.

I am almost certain this only applies to professional organizations - if you present a title as a seminar or as a poster at a school symposium, you may subsequently present it at a national conference. A lot of the students from my graduate program did this, and it was never an issue. If you presented something at SFN and then at Society of Neuro-ONC you may run into trouble, however.

People rationalize it this way, and since the local symposium abstracts never gets published in a journal, it's tough to trace. You're on your honor not to reproduce the work at another conference.

People rationalize it this way, and since the local symposium abstracts never gets published in a journal, it's tough to trace. You're on your honor not to reproduce the work at another conference.

I am basing this not on any self-rationalization, but what a number of PI's have suggested to myself as well as my colleagues' mentors. There is nothing dishonorable about presenting unpublished work, that is perhaps even still "in the works" subsequently at a national conference.

I am basing this not on any self-rationalization, but what a number of PI's have suggested to myself as well as my colleagues' mentors.

People do it all the time. It doesn't make it right.

There is nothing dishonorable about presenting unpublished work, that is perhaps even still "in the works" subsequently at a national conference.

This makes me think you're talking about something completely different. It is wrong to present the exact same data at multiple conferences/symposia. However, it is completely allowable to present new data on the same project at another conference. Of course, the title and contents of the poster/presentation must be changed.

People do it all the time. It doesn't make it right.

This makes me think you're talking about something completely different. It is wrong to present the exact same data at multiple conferences/symposia. However, it is completely allowable to present new data on the same project at another conference. Of course, the title and contents of the poster/presentation must be changed.

I will admit, I may have misspoken here. I know of many students that have printed up a posted for a medical school or graduate school symposium, and then presented the poster subsequently at a national conference. If the PI is okay with it, then the buck rests on the PI - students are advised by the investigator. It is so commonplace, I am led to believe there is nothing wrong in this.

I will admit, I may have misspoken here. I know of many students that have printed up a posted for a medical school or graduate school symposium, and then presented the poster subsequently at a national conference. If the PI is okay with it, then the buck rests on the PI - students are advised by the investigator. It is so commonplace, I am led to believe there is nothing wrong in this.

it is perfectly fine to do this because the presentation at the med school doesn't really count. what I and others are saying is that you can't present the same thing at two or more national/international conferences.

it is perfectly fine to do this because the presentation at the med school doesn't really count. what I and others are saying is that you can't present the same thing at two or more national/international conferences.

That I DO agree with. However, the OP's concern was regarding double-presentation between conference and school symposium.