CV question - Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayarockblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First post here. A chairman at a program wanted me to send him his CV for aways. I don't want seem like I am "upselling" my research experiences. I have a section titled Abstracts/Oral Presentations & Research Experiences.

Basically is it not right/unethical to include a research experience I had that didn't result in an abstract/poster/talk to be listed in this section in abstract form shown below:

West K, Kardashian K, Clinton B. Blah Blah Blah. Journal of Cancer. December, 2016.

Can I do this? Or is it like I am trying to make it seem that my research stint was kind of an abstract. I dont want t o write another entire research expeience just for this.

Thx!
-Katie

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't put it in citation form, that would make you look pretty dishonest, or incredibly naive at best. You could simply list it as "Title of research project", with a short description of the project. List your mentor. Then put "manuscript in progress" or something. So it shows that you've been involved with it and that it's still in progress without claiming it to be something it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
First post here.
Basically is it not right/unethical to include a research experience I had that didn't result in an abstract to be listed in this section in abstract form

Can I do this? Or is it like I am trying to make it seem that my research stint was kind of an abstract. I dont want t o write another entire research experience

First post! Yay!

It would be misleading. Pure and simple. What's the harm of being honest? I can't imagine writing a separate item on your CV would take that much time. I know there's a temptation to impress the chairman, but he's seen it all before and would probably spot any BS. An abstract (or faux-abstract, in this case) really won't make that much of a difference anyways, especially compared to your Step 1 score and clinical evaluations. Plus they tend to ask pretty detailed questions about research. You don't want egg on your face having to explain yourself (or the stress associated with the mere possibility).

Good luck! And welcome!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see anything wrong with explaining your experience under a Research Experience section. I feel like this is just the spot to explain things that you might have spent some significant time on but didn't publish anything. I wouldn't list it in citation form because that doesn't really make any sense. You could always separate the headings on your CV to have a Publications section and a Research Experiences section. This is how ERAS will make you do it anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
If it was not published or presented (poster or oral), you can't make it a citation. Also a citation with "manuscript in progress" or "in submission" are meaningless. But you can explain what you did/learned in "Research Experience" and you could say that you are writing it up and preparing it for submission.

Reactions: 2 users