Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi, everyone. New to SDN, I'll try to keep this short. I am updating my CV for a fellowship. Last year, my abstract was submitted and accepted to a large biomedical research conference (competitive). There was an emergency and I never ended up traveling to the conference and presenting my poster/talk.

The question is can I still indicate that my research was accepted in my CV under Abstracts/Oral Presentations in this format or is that skewing/unethical in any way? I would cite that my abstract was accepted as shown below. Basically I am replacing the words Poster or Oral with the word Accepted:

1. Lauren KB, Walters A, Randy HG. Enzymes are Proteins. Accepted: Annual Research Conference . November 5, 2015. Miami, FL

Thank you I am confused as to what is right and really appreciate it.
-Katie

Last edited:

SgtThunderfistMD

2+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If it was never presented, then do not put it in your CV. I see this hurting more than helping if someone were to ask on the interview trail, and you had to be honest and say that you never even presented it.

A common question on here is: "I am first author on an abstract that was orally presented, but I could not go. Should I put the oral presentation on my CV?"

The answer is always a resounding no. So imagine, the different between your situation and the above one....one actually got presented! And STILL, that one should not be included.

OP
R
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi Sgt. Thunder, I see what you mean, but many times docs and students have posters and abstracts in which they were not first author, but still have on their CV correct?

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
If it was never presented, then do not put it in your CV. I see this hurting more than helping if someone were to ask on the interview trail, and you had to be honest and say that you never even presented it.

A common question on here is: "I am first author on an abstract that was orally presented, but I could not go. Should I put the oral presentation on my CV?"

The answer is always a resounding no. So imagine, the different between your situation and the above one....one actually got presented! And STILL, that one should not be included.
If your project is presented by a co-author it should still get listed on your CV.

JonMonkey

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Status
Attending Physician
The above posts just go to show that there is no clear answer to your question. Personally I feel that it comes down to how you present it on your CV and for that I have no real answer for you. I would ask your PD or mentor.

1. Lauren KB, Walters A, Randy HG. Enzymes are Proteins. Accepted: Annual Research Conference . November 5, 2015. Miami, FL
Should probably read:

Lauren KB, Walters A, Randy HG. Enzymes are Proteins. Accepted (Not Presented): Annual Research Conference . November 5, 2015. Miami, FL

This will hopefully prompted questions along the interview trial at which point you can say that you had a presentation-worthy project that was accepted to a large "competitive" biomedical research conference but for reasons outside of your control you were unable to present it.

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The above posts just go to show that there is no clear answer to your question.
Not true, there is a clear answer that is a combination of the answers given: list it on your CV if it was presented by any of the authors and don't list it if it was never presented. Topic closed.

Reactions: SgtThunderfistMD