CVs for Research Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Talked to a resident and attending about research and they want my CV. Sounds like there are multiple students trying to work with them and they have limited projects so they're using CVs to decide who gets what.

My CV right now is pretty crappy. It consists of a couple of unfinished projects, meaningless academic awards, meaningless interest group leadership, and a position on student government. However, I did pretty well on Step 1 and have a top 10 class rank. Obvi those two things matter more than the other crap I've done so far in med school, but I don't know if putting them on my CV (just for this, not for ERAS or other stuff) will make me look like a pretentious ahole. Would you put your step score and class rank on a research CV?

Members don't see this ad.

Talked to a resident and attending about research and they want my CV. Sounds like there are multiple students trying to work with them and they have limited projects so they're using CVs to decide who gets what.

My CV right now is pretty crappy. It consists of a couple of unfinished projects, meaningless academic awards, meaningless interest group leadership, and a position on student government. However, I did pretty well on Step 1 and have a top 10 class rank. Obvi those two things matter more than the other crap I've done so far in med school, but I don't know if putting them on my CV (just for this, not for ERAS or other stuff) will make me look like a pretentious ahole. Would you put your step score and class rank on a research CV?

My guess is that they dont want to hold a first timers hand while they figure out how to do research so they'll just pick the person that's shown they can get **** done. Why would they give a crap about your step score while picking a research minion?

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that they dont want to hold a first timers hand while they figure out how to do research so they'll just pick the person that's shown they can get **** done. Why would they give a crap about your step score while picking a research minion?

Good point. Don't know, but I also don't know why residency programs care more about step 1 than 2CK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. Don't know, but I also don't know why residency programs care more about step 1 than 2CK.

Because it's standardized? Everyone had the same material M1+M2. M3+M4 rotations are wildly different.

Because it's standardized? Everyone had the same material M1+M2. M3+M4 rotations are wildly different.

Possibly, but the standardization kind of goes out the window when you consider that clerkship grades are of more, or at least equal, importance than 2CK.

Anyway, I think we've gotten off track. The point I tried to make in the OP was that step 1/class rank are the only things I have going for me. Maybe the resident/attending won't care and it won't help to mention it, but would it hurt?

will make me look like a pretentious ahole. Would you put your step score and class rank on a research CV?

I had an attending I work with tell me that one of the upperclassman came off as a pretentious ahole by putting his Junior AOA nomination and step 1 score on his resume. He is one of the most chill attendings who loves teaching students and residents too, so you have to work to piss him off.

Reactions: 1 user