CVS health benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carboxilic774

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:
Do any of you know if CVS offers health benefits for part-time employees. I know Walgreens does if you work 30+ hours.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

CARBON774 said:
Hello:
Do any of you know if CVS offers health benefits for part-time employees. I know Walgreens does if you work 30+ hours.
Thank you

Yes, if you work at least 20 hrs/wk

CARBON774 said:
Hello:
Thank you
If you are consistently scheduling at least 30 hours, you are considered a full-time employee at CVS and are eligible for full-time benefits (I've been doing that for the last 5 years). As earlier poster said, part-times do have access to some insurance - I don't know specifics, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you like CVS I was thinking to give them a call at the beginning of the year. I get a nice vive there, better than Wags.

Thank you for the replies!
I will start on Sunday and they wil pay for my training...
They haven't ask me yet, how many hours I would like to work or the schedule. When do they usually ask those questions? Do they make you sign a contract? If I want benefits should I tell them that I want to work 30 hours? Does anybody know if you can start with benefits right away if you sign up for 30 hours, or do you have to have some time working for them before they give you benefits?
So I don't ask any more stupid questions, does anybody know of a website where I can actually read about the system CVS uses to treat their employees (benefits, pay system, vacations, holidays, sick days, difference of benefits between full-time and part-time). I have been looking for it but I don't find anything.
Thank you

usi said:
How do you like CVS I was thinking to give them a call at the beginning of the year. I get a nice vive there, better than Wags.

Walgreens has a better selection of groceries, toiletries, etc than CVS. I buy all my household supplies with my employee discount. I used to work for Eckerd and had that great JC Penney discount. CVS is good with pharmacy items and OTCs, but are lacking in general groceries.

CARBON774 said:
Thank you for the replies!
I will start on Sunday and they wil pay for my training...
They haven't ask me yet, how many hours I would like to work or the schedule. When do they usually ask those questions? Do they make you sign a contract? If I want benefits should I tell them that I want to work 30 hours? Does anybody know if you can start with benefits right away if you sign up for 30 hours, or do you have to have some time working for them before they give you benefits?
So I don't ask any more stupid questions, does anybody know of a website where I can actually read about the system CVS uses to treat their employees (benefits, pay system, vacations, holidays, sick days, difference of benefits between full-time and part-time). I have been looking for it but I don't find anything.
Thank you
Not stupid questions at all! At my store we ask questions about hours and schedule in the interview, so we have some idea if the person will fit in the hours we need covered. You will have a 90 day waiting period for benefits. I doubt that you will find any such website - that type of information is generally considered at least somewhat proprietary by the companies and you won't get that information easily on the outside. However, if you do have specific questions you could always ask to have a few minutes to speak with the store manager. He or she should know the answers or know who to send you to in corporate to get the answers.

dgroulx said:
Walgreens has a better selection of groceries, toiletries, etc than CVS. I buy all my household supplies with my employee discount. I used to work for Eckerd and had that great JC Penney discount. CVS is good with pharmacy items and OTCs, but are lacking in general groceries.

Totally agree - in fact the CVS CEO Tom Ryan has made a point of saying this year that CVS prefers to focus on health & beauty and pharmacy.

To answer usi's questions, I like CVS just fine. I have not had experience with any other chain so couldn't compare. However, I can't stress enough that in my opinion, a lot of the good or bad about an employer is not so much the specific chain, but what pharmacists, techs, and store you work at is like. I have worked with the same two pharmacists for over 5 years, and every tech in our store has at least 2 years of experience (4 of the 6 are also PTCB certified). We are not a hugely busy store, so all in all the atmosphere is good. I have received what I consider to be reasonable raises every year (given what the economy has been like lately). And, I have a good store manager.

Sounds good. Is too bad you have to wait so long for benefits!
I guess I am spoiled with my benefits always kickin in the same day I start...

usi said:

where do you work USI?

usi said:

where do you work USI?

rxlynn said:
I have worked with the same two pharmacists for over 5 years, and every tech in our store has at least 2 years of experience (4 of the 6 are also PTCB certified). We are not a hugely busy store, so all in all the atmosphere is good.

You've got 6 technicians? Are they all full time?

CARBON774 said:
where do you work USI?

i worked in Big Pharma, small biotech and big biotech.

Now I am enjoying voluntary unemployment for the first time in 8 years for family reasons.
It will end soon, so I am enjoying every minute.

ForgetMeNot said:
No - 3 of them are 40 hours per week, I work 30 hours per week, and the other two are much less.

ForgetMeNot said:

I work in a 24 hour wags, we have eight techs (all fulltime) and an intern that we just lost today. It's not unusual to see three to four pharmacist on at the same time given the schedule. It's also not unusual to see one pharmacist and one tech on a busy saturday morning. Go go scheduling I suppose.