CVS Leave of Absence due to COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as an intern for CVS and came back with a positive Covid test today. My supervisor had me call HR to let them know and begin the leave of absence process for my 14 day paid quarantine. Does anyone know how the process works and how long it usually takes? This is my first time ever taking a leave of absence and the HR rep didn’t really answer any of my questions. Any insight would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your DL, he or she should know the procedure.
Unfortunately my DL is horrible at returning calls/emails. I don’t think he’s gotten back to me once after contacting him on several different occasions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately my DL is horrible at returning calls/emails. I don’t think he’s gotten back to me once after contacting him on several different occasions.
What about your pharmacy manager ?

I don’t know who DL is but there can be legal repercussions for not responding in this scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I was put on quarantine last March due to one of co-workers testing positive...few days off paid, self quarantine with monitoring for symptoms and requirement to get tested if symptomatic. DL handled this with assistance of emerging leader DL...must be extremely frustrating for them having all floater RPhs and floater techs (total chaotic scramble).

Much easier said than done...why chains need to hire more/have more staff. DL can't just close the pharmacy due to lack of staff...it will bite all other stores in the area in the @$$

You’d just to submit leave request for the appropriate dates, get a confirmation of the request, then you’d get notified in a couple days if you were approved or denied.

One of my coworkers tested positive and my DL recommended *against* the rest of the staff getting tested themselves unless they showed symptoms. Of course they were like eff that and got tested anyway.

In the back of my head, I knew that s(he) was probably thinking that if there was a confirmed mini outbreak, having multiple people on leave, and having the pharmacy go up in flames, it would shine a light on how grossly understaffed retail pharmacy is.. nevermind the negative press it could generate.

Things like this.. they hope get unnoticed but really exemplifies the corporate greed.

Reactions: 3 users
You’d just to submit leave request for the appropriate dates, get a confirmation of the request, then you’d get notified in a couple days if you were approved or denied.

One of my coworkers tested positive and my DL recommended *against* the rest of the staff getting tested themselves unless they showed symptoms. Of course they were like eff that and got tested anyway.

In the back of my head, I knew that s(he) was probably thinking that if there was a confirmed mini outbreak, having multiple people on leave, and having the pharmacy go up in flames, it would shine a light on how grossly understaffed retail pharmacy is.. nevermind the negative press it could generate.

Things like this.. they hope get unnoticed but really exemplifies the corporate greed.
Something like this happened to 2 of interns at one of the store I worked at briefly. one intern tested negative luckily but other intern was positive. The pharmacy manager didn’t tell us about positive intern so everyone was upset with manager. Also, positive intern was at fault too for not disclosing her having covid and still working with her symptoms. I guess DL and manager knew but they didn’t want everyone to freak out and quarantine so chose not to tell.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Also, positive intern was at fault too for not disclosing her having covid and still working with her symptoms.

Must be $200k+ in debt and desperately hoping for a job after graduation.

Last edited:
Must be $200k+ in debt and desperately hoping for a job graduation.
Lol nah she was second year Intern from 4 year program. One of Rph told her that she might not even get job with company upon graduation.

I agree - I’ve worked for CVS as a tech in high school and then it wasn’t so bad (~2011). Now that I’m a year from graduation, I know for certain I don’t want to do retail or even be a pharmacist for that matter. The greed with the company is unmatched.

I found out I got approved for my leave last night. Do you know how long it usually takes to get paid?

Why would you be eligible for paid quarantine as an intern? Aren't you PRN?

Why would you be eligible for paid quarantine as an intern? Aren't you PRN?
No, technically part time but I’ve been averaging 30-40 hours a week on top of school.

Yeah, I was put on quarantine last March due to one of co-workers testing positive...few days off paid, self quarantine with monitoring for symptoms and requirement to get tested if symptomatic. DL handled this with assistance of emerging leader DL...must be extremely frustrating for them having all floater RPhs and floater techs (total chaotic scramble).

Much easier said than done...why chains need to hire more/have more staff. DL can't just close the pharmacy due to lack of staff...it will bite all other stores in the area in the @$$

Not if the floaters are better than the ones wiped out by quarantine

Seriously though don't get the idea of starting temp hiring in August for flu shot season (wahmart so s m r t)... shoulda started doing that in March.

I'd call HR if your DL doesn't respond.

When this happened to a tech of mine, the DL took care of LoA procedure. The tech was asked to fax over his positive test results so the DL can forward it to whoever approves the LoA. This was in the beginning of the pandemic so both me and my PIC was placed on LoA and told to self-quarantine for 10 days. Technically should have been 14 days but they started counting the day of contact as day 1 and by the time we found out about the positive result it was already day 3-4. My PIC did a rapid test so she can get back to work (she got loans to pay) while I get paid chilling at home.

Edit: Forgot to mention that neither I nor my PIC had to do anything. My DL automatically put us on LoA and told us not to work unless we get a negative result.

I'd call HR if your DL doesn't respond.

When this happened to a tech of mine, the DL took care of LoA procedure. The tech was asked to fax over his positive test results so the DL can forward it to whoever approves the LoA. This was in the beginning of the pandemic so both me and my PIC was placed on LoA and told to self-quarantine for 10 days. Technically should have been 14 days but they started counting the day of contact as day 1 and by the time we found out about the positive result it was already day 3-4. My PIC did a rapid test so she can get back to work (she got loans to pay) while I get paid chilling at home.

Edit: Forgot to mention that neither I nor my PIC had to do anything. My DL automatically put us on LoA and told us not to work unless we get a negative result.
Great, thanks. I received an email containing a packet of info a couple days ago. On MyLeave the status says “approved,” so I’m assuming it’s been taken care of now. How long did it take for you to get paid?

Great, thanks. I received an email containing a packet of info a couple days ago. On MyLeave the status says “approved,” so I’m assuming it’s been taken care of now. How long did it take for you to get paid?
I'm salaried so I got my base pay in my normal biweekly paycheck. I think if you're part-time you'll get sick pay for those days you're off based on what you were originally scheduled.

I'm salaried so I got my base pay in my normal biweekly paycheck. I think if you're part-time you'll get sick pay for those days you're off based on what you were originally scheduled.
I noticed on today’s paycheck that they didn’t give me any hours, despite being approved for LOA back on 12/2. Do you know how many pay periods it takes before I get paid out my hours?
I’m a little frustrated with CVS and my supervisors - I feel like I’ve been completely left in the dark.

I noticed on today’s paycheck that they didn’t give me any hours, despite being approved for LOA back on 12/2. Do you know how many pay periods it takes before I get paid out my hours?
I’m a little frustrated with CVS and my supervisors - I feel like I’ve been completely left in the dark.
I got the pay in my normal payroll. There was no delay whatsoever. But like I said, I'm full-time and salaried so they need to pay be regardless. You should reach out to HR about that. It's a bit tricky because you're part-time and paid hourly so they can say you're not scheduled.

I got the pay in my normal payroll. There was no delay whatsoever. But like I said, I'm full-time and salaried so they need to pay be regardless. You should reach out to HR about that. It's a bit tricky because you're part-time and paid hourly so they can say you're not scheduled.
I’ll give them a call today - I’ve emailed numerous people and HR over the last week - haven’t heard from a single person. I was schedule for over 80 hours for those two weeks, so it’s going to make me mad if they claim I wasn’t on the schedule.