(CVS vs RITEAID vs WALGREENS vs WALMART) vs LTC vs Staff hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostOfCourteousAnimals

Saturation is here!
Removed
Reaction score
Can we get a pros and cons for each? My plan is to work for one of the four. I am currently graduated and plan on taking the NAPLEX in October for the first time.

I think I will avoid CVS because i heard it's the most stressful / metric driven (although I heard it also pays the most)

LTC seems the most chill. I saw pharmacists just sitting around doing nothing for many minutes and it seems to be low pressure.

Staff also seems chill except when you mess up you can kill people easier / faster. Also with PGY now staff looks more competitive.

I am willing to work weekends, no night shift, no floating, am willing to work part time.

I have zero experience outside of my rotations.

thanks guys and remember keep it positive and i don't have a time machine to go back and work during school.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
You take whatever job that you get offered. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Reactions: 8 users
No floating??? You must live in a more rural area that still has openings... If that’s a requirement, strike out CVS and Wags just because of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait... You have no experience outside of rotations???? You didn’t work in a pharmacy... ever?

Reactions: 4 users
No floating??? You must live in a more rural area that still has openings... If that’s a requirement, strike out CVS and Wags just because of that.
I'm willing to work in a 300 mile radius from DC. so rural WV and rural PA seem to be pretty good options, along with south east DC across the river.

You take whatever job that you get offered. Beggars can’t be choosers.
Meh. I'm on government benefits right now. I will just stay on government benefits till I find the right job that fits me. I can't risk my already bad health by putting myself in a position that could do extreme damage to me.

What do you mean by no night shifts? Good luck with that!
I understand that from an nocturnal owl's perspective not wanting to work night shifts may seem unreasonable but i can't have my circadian rhythm getting that messed up.

LOL.
So many things I see wrong with this. You have 0 experience. Why are you taking the NAPLEX so late? I hope you took the law exam already... No one is going to consider you until you get licensed unless you were already working with the company. You are pretty late to the game bud, most new grads in your class should have already been licensed and applied to any job openings (if any..) by the time you sit for the NAPLEX. I'm not trying to shut you down but I'm just being realistic. What makes you think you'll have the flexibility to choose out of those options? Not sure what your school has been feeding you but you aren't going to get offers like that left and right lol.

Would you like a sign on bonus too? How about tuition reimbursement, 6 weeks vacation, a free car? With your experience vs the other 15,000 new grads, I don't know why employers haven't offered you the moon yet!

Do you have job offers from all of these places yet or are you assuming you'll get one?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we get a pros and cons for each? My plan is to work for one of the four. I am currently graduated and plan on taking the NAPLEX in October for the first time.

I think I will avoid CVS because i heard it's the most stressful / metric driven (although I heard it also pays the most)

LTC seems the most chill. I saw pharmacists just sitting around doing nothing for many minutes and it seems to be low pressure.

Staff also seems chill except when you mess up you can kill people easier / faster. Also with PGY now staff looks more competitive.

I am willing to work weekends, no night shift, no floating, am willing to work part time.

I have zero experience outside of my rotations.

thanks guys and remember keep it positive and i don't have a time machine to go back and work during school.
Pros: They are institutions that have a track record of hiring pharmacists.

Cons: There are no openings due to the saturated market.

Some new graduates make it sound like chains are still handing out the jobs freely.
How wrong they are.

Reactions: 2 users
Some new graduates make it sound like chains are still handing out the jobs freely.
How wrong they are.

You get a job and you get a job and you get a job... oh wait we’re cutting tech hours, and we’re also cutting your hours. Oh, and by the way, that salary? Yeah that’s going down by 10$ an hour. Show up bright and early on your first day!

• Sad
You get a job and you get a job and you get a job... oh wait we’re cutting tech hours, and we’re also cutting your hours. Oh, and by the way, that salary? Yeah that’s going down by 10$ an hour. Show up bright and early on your first day!
So true.

LOL.
So many things I see wrong with this. You have 0 experience. Why are you taking the NAPLEX so late? I hope you took the law exam already... No one is going to consider you until you get licensed unless you were already working with the company. You are pretty late to the game bud, most new grads in your class should have already been licensed and applied to any job openings (if any..) by the time you sit for the NAPLEX. I'm not trying to shut you down but I'm just being realistic. What makes you think you'll have the flexibility to choose out of those options? Not sure what your school has been feeding you but you aren't going to get offers like that left and right lol.
Hello Sir,

I can confirm that I have not taken the NAPLEX or law exam yet, nor have I signed up for them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I know you did this on purpose. Four? I'm not sure if I was just the only one astute enough to catch that, or if everyone else just ignored it because they didn't want to feed a ghost.

LoL this post and the safe place thread were epic.

Work whatever you can get. That's currently my plan. I graduated 2 months ago and my school was so bad at doing the ATTs that by the time my class received them, the earliest we could take the NAPLEX was August. I took my compounding, MJPEs and NAPLEX over the span on like 2 months and now just awaiting my license so I can apply to whatever scraps are left. That being said, I hope my 2 years of intern at Walgreens will land me anything. Anyway, back on topic.

CVS: ? Who knows?2 people from my class went to CVS and they are liking it so far.But I'm hearing from the staff of my old store that people now entering CVS are so stressed out from work that they are usually quitting within a year, which is why there are even positions open to begin with.

Rite Aid: One of my store grads went to a Rite Aid for a floater position. Told me their floating scheduled was miserable because he was only given like 1-2 shifts per week and he had to fight with people on Facebook for more shifts.

Walgreens: I heard from friends that they are doing a wage cut this coming Sept 1st. Other than that, being a floater at Walgreens is miserable because people actually have to accept shifts from 2 hours away just to have a shift to work. And I heard from the floaters that they've done some really messed up stuff, like when they were in the middle of driving to a shift an hour away, they suddenly got a text from the market scheduler that they decided to hand over that shift to another floater.

Walmart: Recently fired a bunch of their higher paying pharmacist and gave them the option to reapply at a lower wage. Outside of that, their pharmacies actually look well staffed with multiple techs/interns. Too bad I'm back in NYC now so no Walmarts here.

LTC: Seems nice if you can get a position? At least where I'm at, there are barely any.

Staff pharmacist: Overnight shifts are not an option, youre going to have to do it.

Work whatever you can get. That's currently my plan. I graduated 2 months ago and my school was so bad at doing the ATTs that by the time my class received them, the earliest we could take the NAPLEX was August.

I was thinking my school had to be worse until I realized that you were in my class lmao.

But rite aid considers pharmacists salaried so whoever is fighting for shifts should be able to relax and still make their base salary of 60hrs every pay period.

hi are you getting lots of job offers? unfortunately if u want ur dream job u may have to move otherwise whatever you can get... and work whtever hours ur employer wants. if u want nice cushy low stress jobs i would change careers