CWRU vs. UMass vs. UCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1051525

CWRU vs. UMass vs. UCD

[removed the details bc some were rather identifying]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not go to Case. You have more long term opportunities with UMass and UCD especially if your SO has more job opportunities (that can translate to a higher salary). In the grand scheme of things 50K extra will not break your bank. The stress of going to a school where you listed more cons is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not go to Case. You have more long term opportunities with UMass and UCD especially if your SO has more job opportunities (that can translate to a higher salary). In the grand scheme of things 50K extra will not break your bank. The stress of going to a school where you listed more cons is not worth it.
Thanks for weighing in. I have been feeling similarly. It's a frustrating amount of money, since it's not so large as to be a clear deciding factor, but it's also not a small amount. Med school debt is just so next level it scares me, even though I know we should theoretically be able to pay it off just fine down the line.

It’s certainly difficult to get a fair assessment of fit from an interview day, much less a virtual interview day. The way I feel about my school is way different than any feelings I had on interview day

Members don't see this ad :)
Just putting that out there but that wasn’t exactly your issue^ though it comes up a lot when people are talking about fit so thought to post for posterity’s sake. In your situation, I still think I’d go with CWRU but would pay most attention to your SOs situation. If it is absolutely not possible for them to find employment, then perhaps I’d reconsider.

Just putting that out there but that wasn’t exactly your issue^ though it comes up a lot when people are talking about fit so thought to post for posterity’s sake. In your situation, I still think I’d go with CWRU but would pay most attention to your SOs situation. If it is absolutely not possible for them to find employment, then perhaps I’d reconsider.
Thank you for adding your perspective; you make a great point. It’s been very hard this year to get a good “feel” for schools given the virtual format.

You need to weigh your personal considerations and sometimes it’s worth paying a bit more - in this case your SO’s career and happiness are also important. All of these schools are great and can get you wherever you want to go. 50k is a big sum but the overall cost differences aren’t that large.

The cost difference is $12.5k per year. Probably your SO has at least that much more salary opportunity at UCD and UMass

While Case has the bigger reputation in medicine of the three, it doesn't matter if you or your SO is not happy. Go with your gut! 50k isn't a huge price difference for happiness.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you spoken with current students at the schools? Your college should have contact info for previous grads who are currently at those schools. That may be helpful in making the decision. Plus, you are close enough to Worcester to make another visit, right? Look at the campus and drive around the surrounding areas....