CWRU essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hobbes007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey..just got CWRU's secondary by email. i was wondering what u guys were writing about for their essay question..the one that says write something not related to medicine. just need some ideas for topics i guess. i'm guessing that it has to something personal, but just something else that you are interested in.
anyways..also, if your school writes a premedical commitee letter, are u just putting one name down for the LOR information?
thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

When I wrote this essay last year, I wrote about the importance of music in my life -- how it helped me grow in a variety of different ways all the way from preschool through college. Also, I'm from the Cleveland area so I threw in a few anecdotes about performing in Cleveland so they knew I was serious about the school. Hope that helps! Good luck to you! If you have any other questions about the app or the interview, send me a PM.

I'll just put down one name for my committee so they know to expect only one letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by meals
When I wrote this essay last year, I wrote about the importance of music in my life -- how it helped me grow in a variety of different ways all the way from preschool through college. Also, I'm from the Cleveland area so I threw in a few anecdotes about performing in Cleveland so they knew I was serious about the school. Hope that helps! Good luck to you! If you have any other questions about the app or the interview, send me a PM.

Wow, nice one meals. I was going to write about something totally not medically related and only vaguely science related that only shows that I can write an essay and that I care about the scientific process. Not sure if this is a good idea, though.

You can really write about anything you want. I wrote about cricket, a friend of mine wrote about Coppernicus and his view of the world.

Im open to questions too :)

I wrote about how the public education system is failing a whole generation. That among other things got me an interview.

Originally posted by Jalby
I wrote about how the public education system is failing a whole generation. That among other things got me an interview.

Indeed it is, Jalby, and it's such a tragedy. I didn't realize that you were a public education advocate, too.

I wrote about rowing in college, cause I already used up my one other non-medical thing (teaching in a public HS) in my personal statement :)

I'm thinking about writing about my bonzai tree, a club I helped to found, or (???) something else.

What gets you up in the morning? What are you passionate about? This secondary essay is designed not only to see that you are capable of writing an essay, but that you're not entirely one dimensional. Writing about something you care about -- whether it be a club, a hobby, pets, whatever -- gives the admissions committee a glimpse into your unique personality. Don't be trite, but do have fun with it.

I know that a lot of people think it's important to type in all the info on a paper application. I hand wrote mine -- not the essay, just the demographic stuff -- for Case (and for some other schools) and was offered an acceptance. So, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Just trying to save you some time and some sanity.

Hopefully there will be a way to print it off of the computer and add it to the paper secondary. I can't believe they would make us type it online and also on paper using a typewriter.:eek:

Originally posted by NineSixteen

Indeed it is, Jalby, and it's such a tragedy. I didn't realize that you were a public education advocate, too.

I wrote about rowing in college, cause I already used up my one other non-medical thing (teaching in a public HS) in my personal statement :)

I actually grew up in the muder capital of the nation. Out of my entire football team, 6 years after we graduated, only 6 of my teammates (out of about 45 juniors and seniors that year) have college degrees.

You dont need a typewriter at all. Just print (i.e. write words capitalized). For essays, I noted "please see attached sheet" and stapled a printout of my response to the secondary.

Originally posted by Resident Alien
You dont need a typewriter at all. Just print (i.e. write words capitalized). For essays, I noted "please see attached sheet" and stapled a printout of my response to the secondary.

You told me this already, but this damn SDN makes me doubt myself! I will do as you suggest.