Cyclist Enthusiasts out dere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobossx99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here into cycling?

Just got myself a trek 1000 07 model!

Been bike crazy for the past month.

Members don't see this ad.

Great start up bike. My husband and I are big into cycling, though he's now into triathlons (half-ironman coming up!) and I've recently been bitten by the bug. I hope you live somewhere "bike friendly". Right now we don't and it sucks, but we still find ways to get out there and not run over!

I had read in numerous urology journals that cycling can be very damaging to the penile veins and lead to erectile dysfunction down the line. I've even heard some urologists say that there should be a warning for all men who intend to ride a bicycle that there is a risk of impotence. Doppler studies show a markedly decreased amount of blood flow through the penile vessels after subjects went bike riding. Of course this doesn't mean that bike riders are certain to develop erectile dysfunction. It's just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had read in numerous urology journals that cycling can be very damaging to the penile veins and lead to erectile dysfunction down the line. I've even heard some urologists say that there should be a warning for all men who intend to ride a bicycle that there is a risk of impotence. Doppler studies show a markedly decreased amount of blood flow through the penile vessels after subjects went bike riding. Of course this doesn't mean that bike riders are certain to develop erectile dysfunction. It's just something to think about.

Total buzzkill, dude. If impotency is a problem for me in the future, then so be it. I have a Cannondale R3000 I love riding as much as I can. I definitely plan on using it as a stress reliever next year, too.

Any other critical mass riders out there? :love:

cyclist here! i have a scattante cfr and love it. biked about 60 miles this past week. the weather is getting to be so nice!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
Yeah, fanatic cyclist here. Just started racing actually- crazy crits in Central Park (NYC). Last few months I've been riding like a fiend- 300 miles/week on average. And if it's snowing, I'm on the stationary and doing core training. It's been the best medicine while dealing with all this application stress.

Nothing fancy for a bike: a 2003 Trek 2000 with Ultegra, Neuvation wheels. And I love the speedplay pedals.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep in decent riding shape in med school, but this year is probably my last chance to due centuries every weekend.

Btw, I was just accepted to Drexel, and pretty sure I'm going. Anyone have any info on the cycling scene in Philly? (clubs, teams, ect).

Yeah, an unfortunate side effect of hours in the saddle. I don;t know about "very damaging", but for those people with mild ED, it will only make things worse.

I use to run marathons and my husband bought me a road bike so I can try a triathlon. Unfortunately I am use to mountain biking therefore:

Road bike + clipless pedals = Melissa falling...a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use to run marathons and my husband bought me a road bike so I can try a triathlon. Unfortunately I am use to mountain biking therefore:

Lol you'll get used to it! I fell once or twice in the beginning myself..

You didn't have clipless pedals on your MTB? :eek:

Im relatively new to cycling (last 2 years). I have a Felt F50 for longer rides as well as a really old Peugeot that I ride to class (so that when it gets stolen by the crackheads around MCV I wont feel so bad).

I was thinking about getting a fixed gear to ride to class. How do you all like these?

I know how you feel. I just started riding six months ago and kept falling (especially because the pedals were so tight!) for the first week... and just when I thought it was over and got my new bike (a Kona Lisa RD), I got lazy and fell at the end of my ride :laugh:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
lol@ ED post. I'm sure it's true, but I think the benefits far outweigh the potential cost.

Anyway, I used to love cycling, but have been too busy with application and life in general lately... I've got a sexy Giant OCR 1 w/ small upgrades here n there.

I hope med school scheduel will be accomodating to us cyclists!

LOVE TO RACE here, I ride a Bianchi Allero. I have a camouflaged Merckx which is my commuter, though I don't know how that's going to work out in St Louis next year. I'm planning on hitting the rollers once i'm in school b/c i don't think i'll be able to affort the 3-4 hour rides I love now. I have a mag trainer, but I prefer the technique of rollers

I really enjoy mountain biking, but I definitely want to get into more road. What's a good start up road bike?

I really enjoy mountain biking, but I definitely want to get into more road. What's a good start up road bike?

Totally biased opinion, but you should check out the Cannondale website for a nice entry-level bike and authorized dealers in your area. Definitely go to a bike shop though, they'll help you buy the right size frame and teach you how to adjust your pedals and all that.

They build quality stuff, and it's all done in Bedford, PA.

America! F$ck Yeah!!!

Totally biased opinion, but you should check out the Cannondale website for a nice entry-level bike and authorized dealers in your area. Definitely go to a bike shop though, they'll help you buy the right size frame and teach you how to adjust your pedals and all that.

They build quality stuff, and it's all done in Bedford, PA.

America! F$ck Yeah!!!

the problem with cannondale cycles is that they tend to run upwards of $1000, which is too much for a bike that's not going to be used to cycle the Tour de France, frankly. if you want american made and truly believe there's a difference out there worth investing in, fine. but i'd recommend a trek or a fuji over a cannondale most any day -- the differences are simply not palpable to anyone except the seasoned competitive cyclist.

Sweet, crits in central park, that would be pretty badass. I race both mountain and road, and I love it to death. However, I was going to ask this question and see the kinds of responses I would get. This is more for the road racers out there. I am very interested in going into surgery. Because of this, I really need to be careful of my heads. So I was wondering if any of you have ever toyed with the idea of hanging up road racing for fear you might one day be involved in a crash that could potentially screw up your heads. I love road racing, but there are so many other types of racing that I can do to satisfy my racing needs. However, I would hate to not be able to go into something because of a dumb bike racing accident. Any thoughts out there?? Am I just being paranoid?? I was once told by my 5th grade teacher that I would develop stomach ulcers by the age of 20 after I got into an argument with her over a homework assignment. She gave me a 97 and I felt that I deserved a 100. In hindsight, I realize that the changing of a 97 to a 100 in 5th grade really had little impact on where I ended up in the future. Thank God I found bike racing to work off all of my extra energy. But seriously, any thoughts on the question above would be greatly appreciated

Basically, I just want a road bike that'll be quality and consistent. I bought the mountain bike when a friend got me really into it, and I didn't think about the fact that it's a lot easier to just take a road bike and vs. going to a mountain biking area. Not sure if I'll actually cave and get a road bike, but I like researching it.

I have a trek 1000, 07 model also. it rocks!!!

Love cycling. Have been "converting" from a Marathon runner (bum knee) to triathlete. Half Ironman this summer in Sonoma with wine tasting to follow--last vacay before med school... :cool:

My bike (whose name is Delilah) is a Specialized Allez Double Elite (white/red) with speedplay frog pedals! Love it!!!! Was my Chanukah present from me to me...:D

i've definitely got the mountain biking fever. anyone thinking of going to southern CA for med school? i live in the san diego area and the whole southern california area (also, arizona) is littered with awesome mt biking trails and single tracks. definitely might pick up the road cycling down the line, but at the moment i can definitely see the trails out in the middle of nowhere being therapeutic after all day in class.

i've definitely got the mountain biking fever. anyone thinking of going to southern CA for med school? i live in the san diego area and the whole southern california area (also, arizona) is littered with awesome mt biking trails and single tracks. definitely might pick up the road cycling down the line, but at the moment i can definitely see the trails out in the middle of nowhere being therapeutic after all day in class.

Definitely. It's therapeutic even when done in the side of a major highway, which is littered with pebbles and potholes, and with cars zooming by at 90mph (which is the hoosier speed limit nowadays).:thumbup:

I hope all of you cyclists (and non-cyclists for that matter) realize that the single biggest intramural event/weekend/week is less than a month away...the Indiana University Little 500... http://iusf.bloomington.com

lol@ ED post. I'm sure it's true, but I think the benefits far outweigh the potential cost.

Anyway, I used to love cycling, but have been too busy with application and life in general lately... I've got a sexy Giant OCR 1 w/ small upgrades here n there.

I hope med school scheduel will be accomodating to us cyclists!

lol @ your future wife's disappointment in the sack.

I love biking, it is such a great escape from everything else in my life. I just got a kestrel talon with ultegra components. I am freaking stoked. I went for a 2 hour ride today (who cares that I should have been studying). Anyway I really need to find some more people to ride with though. There are only like 2 people that I know at my school that bike.

Big cycling fan here. I'm mostly a commuter (as a daily oil-protest), but I like to get out on weekends occasionally. I'm currently drooling over a few Bianchi models (the "elle," in particular), but right now am riding a soft ride road bike that my boyfriend used to race on.

At any rate, I own NO car--and ride my bike or the bus everywhere I need to go.
I got in to my top choice school, which means a jaunt back to my conservative, oil-loving home state. I'm trying to find an apartment, so I contacted a friend of my parents who lives in the town where I'll be next year. She said she would help me find an apartment, asked me what kind of a place I was looking for, and then wrote me an entire email paragraph on why it was STUPID to not own a car in that town. (Did I think I was going to be able to ride the bike all year? Didn't I realize it was going to get cold there in the winter? Don't I know that the cheapest grocery store is on the outskirts of town? How did I expect to do all of this without a car???)

I just thought that some fellow cyclists would appreciate that she didn't think I would be able to ride a couple of miles to the grocery store every week, not to mention the 6-block trip to campus when it's snowing.

Big cycling fan here. I'm mostly a commuter (as a daily oil-protest), but I like to get out on weekends occasionally. I'm currently drooling over a few Bianchi models (the "elle," in particular), but right now am riding a soft ride road bike that my boyfriend used to race on.

At any rate, I own NO car--and ride my bike or the bus everywhere I need to go.
I got in to my top choice school, which means a jaunt back to my conservative, oil-loving home state. I'm trying to find an apartment, so I contacted a friend of my parents who lives in the town where I'll be next year. She said she would help me find an apartment, asked me what kind of a place I was looking for, and then wrote me an entire email paragraph on why it was STUPID to not own a car in that town. (Did I think I was going to be able to ride the bike all year? Didn't I realize it was going to get cold there in the winter? Don't I know that the cheapest grocery store is on the outskirts of town? How did I expect to do all of this without a car???)

I just thought that some fellow cyclists would appreciate that she didn't think I would be able to ride a couple of miles to the grocery store every week, not to mention the 6-block trip to campus when it's snowing.

Good for you! I also don't have a car, and I live in a city that feels more spaced out than a suburb, and whose public transport system leaves much to be desired. Nonetheless, I'm proud of my petite carbon footprint, and you should be too! I don't intend to get a car anytime soon. If absolutley necessary, I may get a scooter one day... but as long as I'm fit and able, it's biking/walking/busing for me! :love:

Before you get all up in arms about buying american v. foreign, remember that the Trek conglomerate actually owns Canonndale, mongoose, GT (i think). To rebut the opinion that $1K + bikes are only good to ride the Tour, with bikes, you really pay for what you get. If you're going to train seriously and maybe even race a little, spending teh extra cash is a good idea because you're going to get a lighter, better frame and better components with more precise shifting. If you're going to go on the odd weekend road ride, no plans for racing, then don't spend more than $1k. Never buy a bike from anywhere but a bike store. (like walmart i mean, ebay is a different story).

Before you get all up in arms about buying american v. foreign, remember that the Trek conglomerate actually owns Canonndale, mongoose, GT (i think). To rebut the opinion that $1K + bikes are only good to ride the Tour, with bikes, you really pay for what you get. If you're going to train seriously and maybe even race a little, spending teh extra cash is a good idea because you're going to get a lighter, better frame and better components with more precise shifting. If you're going to go on the odd weekend road ride, no plans for racing, then don't spend more than $1k. Never buy a bike from anywhere but a bike store. (like walmart i mean, ebay is a different story).

i don't know about that -- i've had a fuji newest for a number of years now and it's carried me quite far quite fast, and i paid a bundle less for it than i would have for any cannondale in its class.

I would never buy a trek. Now don't get me wrong they make some really nice bikes but they are overpriced. Everyone wants to ride the same brand of bike as Lance Armstrong. If you want to spend the extra money then go for it but you can get a higher quality bike for the money or the same quality bike for less money.

I have a GT Rage that I love to ride. Haven't been putting as much time into it as I used to. I plan on living 5-10 miles from campus and biking to and from school. I'll get much needed exercise and it'll be a great way to warm up and wind down from a day of studying.

As for needing a car to get around, I used to cycle 15 miles one-way to work. In most cities, there is almost nowhere that you cannot get within a reasonable bicycle ride. I don't see why someone would have to have a car, unless they have children to tote around or they live somewhere where there is lots of snow in the winter and couldn't bicycle for 4 or 5 months out of the year.

trek 1000 = lame. get a real bike.

griffinbike.com - rack up $6000 and you've got yourself an amazing bike.

Gulf Coast Triathlon Full Ironman - May 12, 2007!! i'll be an Ironwoman soon!

trek 1000 = lame. get a real bike.

griffinbike.com - rack up $6000 and you've got yourself an amazing bike.

Gulf Coast Triathlon Full Ironman - May 12, 2007!! i'll be an Ironwoman soon!

1) Gulf Coast isn't a real Ironman Triathlon

2) Could they pick a flatter course? Try doing Kona, Lake Placid, or Wisconsin

Im relatively new to cycling (last 2 years). I have a Felt F50 for longer rides as well as a really old Peugeot that I ride to class (so that when it gets stolen by the crackheads around MCV I wont feel so bad).

I was thinking about getting a fixed gear to ride to class. How do you all like these?

I commute to work on a fixie. All flat, but for commuting nothing beats it. Easy and fast, plus the girls like it when you do track stands :)

I love mountain biking. Unfortunately, wife and I moved away from bike friends. Therefore, since I tend to fly dangerously over my handle bars I have not ridden in a year. Maybe with medical school I will find people able to carry me out of the woods with a broken leg.

Vineman for me!! :) Super-excited for the wine-tasting after...:)

Well, for what it's worth, riding a couple times a month also leads to better cardiovascular health which helps counteract the ED a little.

But yes, riding regularly is not very good for the boys. Even though I hardly ride I went and invested in a more cushy seat (although there's no such thing as a cushy racing or mountain biking seat, but good thing I don't care to compete lol).

You can also get seats that don't have the front part, since that's the part that ends up injuring you in the long run, except it apparently makes the bicycle significantly harder to control without it. Oh well.

BTW, I honestly don't think commuting with your bike is a great idea unless you enjoy chronic lung disease. I was reading an article in Men's Health (admittedly not a scientific journal, but they were citing some journal studies) where a huge percentage of people who jogged or cycled regularly by crowded roads (aka, those with cars) had chronic lung disease without even realizing that they had it. Apparently their otherwise improved cardiovascular health (from the exercise) helps mask the fact that they have lung disease, so the runners and cyclists didn't even know. So...that's why I'm keeping my running either indoors or in areas away from cars.

But umm...do what you will, if you want to have lung disease and erectile dysfunction I can only warn you now, lol.

Well, for what it's worth, riding a couple times a month also leads to better cardiovascular health which helps counteract the ED a little.

But yes, riding regularly is not very good for the boys. Even though I hardly ride I went and invested in a more cushy seat (although there's no such thing as a cushy racing or mountain biking seat, but good thing I don't care to compete lol).

You can also get seats that don't have the front part, since that's the part that ends up injuring you in the long run, except it apparently makes the bicycle significantly harder to control without it. Oh well.

BTW, I honestly don't think commuting with your bike is a great idea unless you enjoy chronic lung disease. I was reading an article in Men's Health (admittedly not a scientific journal, but they were citing some journal studies) where a huge percentage of people who jogged or cycled regularly by crowded roads (aka, those with cars) had chronic lung disease without even realizing that they had it. Apparently their otherwise improved cardiovascular health (from the exercise) helps mask the fact that they have lung disease, so the runners and cyclists didn't even know. So...that's why I'm keeping my running either indoors or in areas away from cars.

But umm...do what you will, if you want to have lung disease and erectile dysfunction I can only warn you now, lol.

So who is at fault here? Is it my fault that I die of lung disease because I ride my bike everyday for a good workout and to decrease my footprint on the earth, or is it the fault of those driving around in SUVs causing all sorts of pollution?
Just providing a little perspective.

I'm also an avid biker. I have been racing MTB's since 11 or so and I have raced pro (XC) for the last 3 years. I have played around with DH, but I spend too much time on the XC to be completely comfortable.

It gave me something interesting to talk about at interviews, although I am unsure if I will be able to continue training at my present clip through med school....not that I won't try.

Oh, Specialized S-Works Carbon (hard tail of course)

I love it. GCT isn't a "real" IM.....hehe. You are right though, it's not real because it's actually only a HALF IRONMAN. I hope zolaash is aware of that....maybe just a typo on his/her part. :)

Back to the topic, cyclist enthusiast by way of triathlon here.

For the tri or time trial geeks out there, did you see this guy who built a windtunnel in his NYC apartment?! I thought that might get your attention. Pretty damn cool. Whether it's a useful tool or not, who knows.

http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=1300

1) Gulf Coast isn't a real Ironman Triathlon

2) Could they pick a flatter course? Try doing Kona, Lake Placid, or Wisconsin

Just got back from CM in ATL. It was pretty sweet.

i just got into mountain biking in summer 2006.

picked out a blue 2005 Giant Rainier. the 2006 versions were actually a downgrade (different gearing and rim brakes.)

i got clip-ins in august and have been terrified to try anything remotely adventerous. still need to get over my fear (and work on the biking skills i left when i was 10 :laugh: )

i just got into mountain biking in summer 2006.

picked out a blue 2005 Giant Rainier. the 2006 versions were actually a downgrade (different gearing and rim brakes.)

i got clip-ins in august and have been terrified to try anything remotely adventerous. still need to get over my fear (and work on the biking skills i left when i was 10 :laugh: )

I got clip-ins in Dec, rode for a week pretty intensely and fell twice on each side (forgot my foot was connected to the bike when I got off it).... but now everything is honky dory and I am quite comfy with it all... prolly scarier though with mountain biking, though...:)

I got clip-ins in Dec, rode for a week pretty intensely and fell twice on each side (forgot my foot was connected to the bike when I got off it).... but now everything is honky dory and I am quite comfy with it all... prolly scarier though with mountain biking, though...:)

I still get leary with my clip-ins on my road bike (though I have yet to fall in almost a year!), not having "free feet" on a mountain bike would totally freak me out, even though I can definitely see the advantage of clip-ins. :thumbup: to those who can do it!