Cytology fellowship - where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all of you residents out there. I think I am going to apply for cyto fellowship - where are good places to apply? What good / bad things have your heard? Any info would be appreciated. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all of you residents out there. I think I am going to apply for cyto fellowship - where are good places to apply? What good / bad things have your heard? Any info would be appreciated. :D

Someplace you want to work.

Someplace you can get in.

Someplace that isn't filled already.

is nowhere an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
would someone mind explaining the knock against cyto fellowships? considering how many gyn and non-gyn cytology specimens most programs (and presumably private groups) get each yeah, wouldn't having a cytology expert be at least as useful as a gyn, GU, GI, or breast expert?

would someone mind explaining the knock against cyto fellowships? considering how many gyn and non-gyn cytology specimens most programs (and presumably private groups) get each yeah, wouldn't having a cytology expert be at least as useful as a gyn, GU, GI, or breast expert?

No one is saying that cytology isn't important. On the contrary, you have to have cytology experts in your practice/department. The issue is that pretty much no one actually likes doing cytology.

Cameron's right - it's kind of boring.

Personally, I dislike it mostly because I hate FNAs. I don't mind looking at lung washes, urines, aspirates that I don't do, etc. I don't really like gyn cytology but it is kind of interesting. I much prefer other parts of path though. I think, to many groups, having a cytology expert is very useful because it means the rest of the group will have to do less cytology.

some of my friends are going to baylor and i heard mdacc is a good one, but they want a year of surg path first. and what's up with their interview process? 2 days?! good thing i broke down and bought another suit...

All places are good in different ways. Since you are going to be doing the same thing for a year, it does not matter where you go. Go and do your fellowship in the city that you want to live after fellowship and with the people you like working the most. Don't go chasing fancy names or fancy people. A carcinoma is a carcinoma wherever you go.

If they don't have fellowships in the city you want to live in, then go for the fancy place. Unfortunately, people go by brand name when they don't know the candidate.

As a general rule and from personal experience, call the programs and ask them if they have internal candidates. If they do, there is very little chance you will get in. Save your money and interview somewhere else.