D-Day Finally In the Past....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellopeople

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never really post here, but because I received such valuable insight from these forums, I want to contribute a short DAT breakdown. I'll go over what materials worked for me, and hopefully it will help a few people.

I'll start with my scores: I must say that I am shocked they were this high. My practice tests had me pegged for ~18 AA.

DAT July 25, 2011 (Ann Arbor Location if anyone cares)

PAT: 21
QR: 17 (Believe me, I'm not that upset about this. Math dominates me.)
RC: 24 (Surprised? Me too. Never got higher than 19 on TopScore)
Bio: 22
GC: 24
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 22

PAT: Use crack dat pat. Period. It's the best I used by far. It's pricey, but aside from pattern folding, I thought it was right on the money. Pattern folding seemed harder on the real thing to me. Also, perhaps the hole-punching section was a bit easier on the real deal. Anyway I almost always got around 20-21 on the practice tests for crack dat pat so its probably a good progress indicator if nothing else. Topscore inflated my score. The hole-punching in particular seemed to me to be really easy on topscore.

QR: I used math destroyer and crack dat math and improved my topscore math score from 13 to 19 then got 17 on the real thing. I'm not gonna make comments on this because I really don't have much to say with a 17, but I do think both products helped me. I didn't finish much of crack dat math. That may have been a mistake. Be prepared for "word problems" and plenty of them. (Don't stress, if I can get through it, most people can probably do well with practice. I really am terrible at this stuff.)

RC: I must stress this. Topscore's RC section is nothing like what I experienced today on the real test. My passages were of a similar length (all 3 were 14 paragraphs), but not nearly as detail oriented. I scored a 17, 18, and 20 on topscore, but with a kaplan-like method I improved greatly on the real deal. It seemed to demand less speed reading mentality. I would say just hit up every resource you can for this. Crack dat reading seemed most realistic to me though. I admit I may have just gotten an easy test. There was no piano section for me after all...

Bio: No input here. I did OK(ish) on topscore so I didn't study much for it. I focused on the chemistry sections instead. I'm sorry. I know that isn't helpful at all.

GC: Destroyer all the way. Forget crack dat science I don't know where they are coming from. Maybe if you just want a few extra practice problems... Anyway, I used Kaplan blue book, then destroyer. Nothing else. I felt prepared.

OC: I recommend destroyer again. HOWEVER it is important to get a better feel for intermediates. My exam had a couple intermediate questions. Destroyer gets you most of the way there, but I advise another source for intermediate questions. (I may have just failed to pick it up from destroyer though. So see for yourself)

Here is my topscore results if you want to compare. They should give provide confidence. Based on my experience, Topscore seems harder than the real deal.

TopScore 1:
AA: 17
Bio: 18
GC: 18
QR: 13
RC: 18
TS: 18

TopScore 3:
AA: 20
Bio: 16
GC: 17
OC: 28
PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 19

TopScore#2 (Unfinished)
Bio : 18
OC: 20
PAT: 23
QR: -
RC: -

Well, that's about it. It's not much, but I hope that this will help someone in the same way this community has helped me.

Good Luck all :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Great scores! Do you or does anyone know in the RC section, can you use the scroll button on the mouse to scroll through the passage? or you gotta click on the scroll button like in topscore?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by a few intermediate questions? Thanks

There were a few questions that asked about the intermediates of a given reaction. For instance, I recall a question that required that I recognize an enol intermediate and another that asked for various possible electrophilic substitution intermediates.

It is covered in destroyer, but not drilled in as much as the 'reactant plus reagent gives what?' type questions.

Great scores! Do you or does anyone know in the RC section, can you use the scroll button on the mouse to scroll through the passage? or you gotta click on the scroll button like in topscore?

Sorry, I don't know. I guess I was so trained by topscore that I just clicked on the the scroll bar without trying... I will say this though, the font/layout is better on the real thing imo No painfully hard to read text.

I didn't really feel the scrolling slowed me down much though. I'm sure you'll be OK either way.

Thanks! I can only hope. I love the school and I love the town. It's nothing but a waiting game now. :xf:

hello in the Rc section was there a space between paragraphs or were they smushed together like so:

1)eeee
2)eee
3)eee

or

1 erwwerwer

2werwerwerwer

3 werwerwer

Also how was the calculator for QR?

I never really post here, but because I received such valuable insight from these forums, I want to contribute a short DAT breakdown. I'll go over what materials worked for me, and hopefully it will help a few people.

I'll start with my scores: I must say that I am shocked they were this high. My practice tests had me pegged for ~18 AA.

DAT July 25, 2011 (Ann Arbor Location if anyone cares)

PAT: 21
QR: 17 (Believe me, I'm not that upset about this. Math dominates me.)
RC: 24 (Surprised? Me too. Never got higher than 19 on TopScore)
Bio: 22
GC: 24
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 22

PAT: Use crack dat pat. Period. It's the best I used by far. It's pricey, but aside from pattern folding, I thought it was right on the money. Pattern folding seemed harder on the real thing to me. Also, perhaps the hole-punching section was a bit easier on the real deal. Anyway I almost always got around 20-21 on the practice tests for crack dat pat so its probably a good progress indicator if nothing else. Topscore inflated my score. The hole-punching in particular seemed to me to be really easy on topscore.

QR: I used math destroyer and crack dat math and improved my topscore math score from 13 to 19 then got 17 on the real thing. I'm not gonna make comments on this because I really don't have much to say with a 17, but I do think both products helped me. I didn't finish much of crack dat math. That may have been a mistake. Be prepared for "word problems" and plenty of them. (Don't stress, if I can get through it, most people can probably do well with practice. I really am terrible at this stuff.)

RC: I must stress this. Topscore's RC section is nothing like what I experienced today on the real test. My passages were of a similar length (all 3 were 14 paragraphs), but not nearly as detail oriented. I scored a 17, 18, and 20 on topscore, but with a kaplan-like method I improved greatly on the real deal. It seemed to demand less speed reading mentality. I would say just hit up every resource you can for this. Crack dat reading seemed most realistic to me though. I admit I may have just gotten an easy test. There was no piano section for me after all...

Bio: No input here. I did OK(ish) on topscore so I didn't study much for it. I focused on the chemistry sections instead. I'm sorry. I know that isn't helpful at all.

GC: Destroyer all the way. Forget crack dat science I don't know where they are coming from. Maybe if you just want a few extra practice problems... Anyway, I used Kaplan blue book, then destroyer. Nothing else. I felt prepared.

OC: I recommend destroyer again. HOWEVER it is important to get a better feel for intermediates. My exam had a couple intermediate questions. Destroyer gets you most of the way there, but I advise another source for intermediate questions. (I may have just failed to pick it up from destroyer though. So see for yourself)

Here is my topscore results if you want to compare. They should give provide confidence. Based on my experience, Topscore seems harder than the real deal.

TopScore 1:
AA: 17
Bio: 18
QR: 13
RC: 18

TopScore 3:
AA: 20
Bio: 16
GC: 17
OC: 28
PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 19

TopScore#2 (Unfinished)
Bio : 18
OC: 20
PAT: 23
QR: -
RC: -

Well, that's about it. It's not much, but I hope that this will help someone in the same way this community has helped me.

Good Luck all :thumbup:
Congrats on your scores!!! I would like to know how many months and hours did you study for and at when did you take the topscore practice tests in the midst of all of it?

hello in the Rc section was there a space between paragraphs or were they smushed together like so:

1)eeee
2)eee
3)eee

or

1 erwwerwer

2werwerwerwer

3 werwerwer

Also how was the calculator for QR?

There were spaces between the paragraphs. In general it is very easy to read and to find your place again.

The calculator was pretty much the same as the windows calculator. I didnt use it much, but when I did it didn't lag at all. (Some ppl seem to complain about lagging).

Congrats on your scores!!! I would like to know how many months and hours did you study for and at when did you take the topscore practice tests in the midst of all of it?

Thanks! I studied for 6 weeks. The first and last weeks were light, but the month between them was a 10 hour per day study binge. I would recommend stretching it out more than I did though. My method was more than a little stressful. I feel the relaxed week at the end was important because I caught up on sleep and sorta got in the right state of mind.

Edit: Actually, It was more like 7 weeks, but the first was almost wasted because I wasn't scared enough yet. As for topscore, I did the first about halfway through the the last couple with a week left.

That QR score is going to really hurt your chances. I mean schools are going to think you won't know how to arithmetically subtract when performing extractions. I would highly recommend a retake.

That QR score is going to really hurt your chances. I mean schools are going to think you won't know how to arithmetically subtract when performing extractions. I would highly recommend a retake.

Lol I assume that was meant to be an exaggeration. Do you really think its going to be a big problem? The 17 still places me in the 75th percentile. It's not impressive, but for QR I thought it would be fine.

Now I'm worried lol. Maybe I should call some schools!

aha LetsGo That was a joke. Wow, things don't usually fly quite that high over my head. Lets call it application cycle anxiety. I was actually actively looking to see if anyone would think the QR score was a problem so I jumped on that. My bad. lol

aha LetsGo That was a joke. Wow, things don't usually fly quite that high over my head. Lets call it application cycle anxiety. I was actually actively looking to see if anyone would think the QR score was a problem so I jumped on that. My bad. lol

So many things are lost in translation on this board. Thus, I wasn't sure you understood my original joke lol.