Quantcast

'D' in first semester of first year Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supreme89

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi there. I have a superb GPA and a 22 in the DAT, but I got a D in my first semester of general Biology. Now I am entering my senior year and I was wondering if I can take it again and how much it affects my application if everything else I have is really good. Also, the only reason why I messed up was because my parents were going through a divorce at the time and I bombed the final as a result of my emotional imbalance. Thanks.

smiley89

Reaction score
just retake it a D in a prereq is generally not acceptable

CANgnome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got D in first year physics, retook it this summer along with taking physics II first time.

C- in first year bio too, but I have straight As in my graduate Master of Biology! I wrote every dschool stating that I will retake it if necessary.

supreme89

Reaction score
How do you retake a subject? How negative will it look on my otherwise flawless application?

supreme89

Reaction score
Well it is pretty flawless in comparison to the admission stats of the Universities I plan on applying to.

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well it is pretty flawless in comparison to the admission stats of the Universities I plan on applying to.

Schools do not accept anything lower than a C in pre-req's so they will not accept a D. You will have to retake either way?
Not sure if you can use upper level biology classes to satisfy that requirement.

ItalianPrincess

Reaction score
Schools do not accept anything lower than a C in pre-req's so they will not accept a D. You will have to retake either way?
Not sure if you can use upper level biology classes to satisfy that requirement.

that's not true, i would call or email the schools to find out. i got a C- in my analytical physics 2 class and due to school policy i couldnt retake the class and my local community college only offered physics 2 when i was going to be abroad so i called each school and only applied to the ones that said it was ok

ps i know a C-, esp in a pre rec doesn't look good but that's the way my cards fell...if i dont get in this time around i'll retake it at a different school and cross my fingers

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
that's not true, i would call or email the schools to find out. i got a C- in my analytical physics 2 class and due to school policy i couldnt retake the class and my local community college only offered physics 2 when i was going to be abroad so i called each school and only applied to the ones that said it was ok

ps i know a C-, esp in a pre rec doesn't look good but that's the way my cards fell...if i dont get in this time around i'll retake it at a different school and cross my fingers
If you know they will not accept a C-, do you think they'll waive the requirement for you?

supreme89

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how big of a negative a retake is for admissions. Thanks.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how big of a negative a retake is for admissions. Thanks.
You'll need to retake it if the grade doesn't satisfy admission requirements. It doesn't look good, but better than leaving a unsatisfactory grade. Retake and ACE the course