'D' in first semester of first year Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supreme89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I have a superb GPA and a 22 in the DAT, but I got a D in my first semester of general Biology. Now I am entering my senior year and I was wondering if I can take it again and how much it affects my application if everything else I have is really good. Also, the only reason why I messed up was because my parents were going through a divorce at the time and I bombed the final as a result of my emotional imbalance. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

just retake it a D in a prereq is generally not acceptable

I got D in first year physics, retook it this summer along with taking physics II first time.

C- in first year bio too, but I have straight As in my graduate Master of Biology! I wrote every dschool stating that I will retake it if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you retake a subject? How negative will it look on my otherwise flawless application?

Well it is pretty flawless in comparison to the admission stats of the Universities I plan on applying to.

Well it is pretty flawless in comparison to the admission stats of the Universities I plan on applying to.

Schools do not accept anything lower than a C in pre-req's so they will not accept a D. You will have to retake either way?
Not sure if you can use upper level biology classes to satisfy that requirement.

Schools do not accept anything lower than a C in pre-req's so they will not accept a D. You will have to retake either way?
Not sure if you can use upper level biology classes to satisfy that requirement.

that's not true, i would call or email the schools to find out. i got a C- in my analytical physics 2 class and due to school policy i couldnt retake the class and my local community college only offered physics 2 when i was going to be abroad so i called each school and only applied to the ones that said it was ok

ps i know a C-, esp in a pre rec doesn't look good but that's the way my cards fell...if i dont get in this time around i'll retake it at a different school and cross my fingers

that's not true, i would call or email the schools to find out. i got a C- in my analytical physics 2 class and due to school policy i couldnt retake the class and my local community college only offered physics 2 when i was going to be abroad so i called each school and only applied to the ones that said it was ok

ps i know a C-, esp in a pre rec doesn't look good but that's the way my cards fell...if i dont get in this time around i'll retake it at a different school and cross my fingers
If you know they will not accept a C-, do you think they'll waive the requirement for you?

Can someone please tell me how big of a negative a retake is for admissions. Thanks.

Can someone please tell me how big of a negative a retake is for admissions. Thanks.
You'll need to retake it if the grade doesn't satisfy admission requirements. It doesn't look good, but better than leaving a unsatisfactory grade. Retake and ACE the course