D in IntroBio, B in 200level Bio, retake IntroBio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latieungao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D in IntroBio in my Freshman year (i am rising senior now) and B in 200-level BIO in Sophomore year. I am sure I can make A in the Intro class if i retake it. should i? or should I take a higher Bio class and try to get B+ (the max I think i can do) in it?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a D in intro bio, and A's in Cell Bio, Microbio, Immunology, Human Physiology, ETC, and people still think I should retake that D. If I had the time to, I would consider it in my case. If you have the time to, I think you should consider it in your case.

Especially since you seem to be someone who will not have a lot of Bio completed by the time of application. That one grade, be it one half or one third of your bio grades, is significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that if the Intro bio course is being counted as a prereq for whatever schools you plan on applying to, you will need to retake it because most schools want you to get a C or better. My friend also had this same problem. Got a D in a prereq, but she retook it and got a B+.

What upper level bio have you taken? If you have done well in 300-400 level courses, it might not be necessary. However, if you have gotten anything but A's, you might want to retake.