D in organic but As in everything else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pb0108

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a D in organic and I'll be taking it again during the summer but I've gotten an A in all of my other science classes. How much will that hurt me in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

before you get flamed, I want to tell you that I think you'll be ok. Just keep working hard and do well on the mcat. Getting into med school will be defined by more than your 1 D.

It's good that you're retaking it, especially if the class counts towards your major. Some secondary applications make you fill out prerequisites over again and organic chemistry may be one of those, so it doesn't look great to put a D there. Retaking is definitely a must. You'll still be fine with your application as this one blemish does not mean the end of your hopes of becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 D and everything else is an A? Retake it and you have 4.0?

I see no problems :D

The D will still show up on your transcript, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you ace it the second time. It may look like a red flag to adcoms though, so be prepared to discuss it in interviews. There are many of us that got in with much worse grades ;)

It doesn't work like that. Even if he retakes and gets an A, the D will be part of his GPA.

Do you mean it doesnt work like that for AMCAS or for the school. Because where I go to school the grades are replaced and the original grade is not apart of the GPA.

Do you mean it doesnt work like that for AMCAS or for the school. Because where I go to school the grades are replaced and the original grade is not apart of the GPA.

It doesn't matter how your school calculates your GPA. All that matters is how AMCAS calculates it. As long as there is something on your transcript that indicates you retook the course, AMCAS will request the original grade.

There's a school in the carib called Ross, take a look into it. You have no hope here:rolleyes:

So I got a D in organic and I'll be taking it again during the summer but I've gotten an A in all of my other science classes. How much will that hurt me in the long run?

If you do well over the summer, you will be okay. May mean you want to apply more broadly when you apply, in case someplace has an issue. But people still get into med school with one bad grade.

AMCAS does not replace grades.

LOL, I am going to look for my old thread, which probably is locked about this exact setiment.

I am not flamming but I am saying NOOOOOOOOOO you get a D you live with it... this is a premed FORUM... we are all going to apply to some MD or DO school. you get a grade it appears... There is NOOOOO forgiveness policy with AMCAS...

My opinion is this. You get one D... no that is not the end. I would have to say especially if you take it again and get an A. I have seen it done. Your overall GPA can still be high and the D might not mean anything.

If you take it again and get a C. and then you take a few other upper division courses and get a couple more C's... start looking into what research program you want to get into. 3.2 GPA with a 3.0 BCPM isn't going to cut it for MD... I dunno about DO but for MD... the comp is getting fierce.

Please PLEASE PLEASE... get a W next time... I tell my kids this all the time... I am not flamming you but I am giving a general frustrating rant that I deal with at least twice every semester with my Organic students.

A... Know when your finals are... If you have 2 or 3 finals on one day and one of them is Organic... you're grades somewhere somehow are gonna suffer.

B... If you have done poorly on the first exam and second exam and you are not past the W date. TAKE the WWWWWWWW... obviously your not getting out the gate and trying to take a final or other exams is going to be futile because the information builds throughout.

C... Don't be afraid to seek help. This is not an area where pride should stop you from seeing a tutor or external help. Study with the smart kids, more than likely they will like reviewing the information with you... It helps them and helps you all in the same.

D... Don't JUST READ CHEMISTRY... ANY CHEMISTRY>>> Especially O-Chem. don't move on until you understand the concept. This isn't Bio lady's and gentlemen. You have to understand the concept before moving on. I think this is really what kills people in O-Chem. I know when teaching Org II... no matter how much I break down the concepts and tutor people they take the exam and miss the concepts. I get frustrated, with myself, because I know when I am going over it they are acting like they see the concept and understand but truly they don't.

hope this advice helps.

Hmm that sucks I got an F in pre-calc freshmen year and retook it and got an A. I wonder how much that will bring down my 3.65 GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm that sucks I got an F in pre-calc freshmen year and retook it and got an A. I wonder how much that will bring down my 3.65 GPA.

Let's say that you have a 3.65 gpa having taken 120 credits.

This means that you earned 438 points

Now let's say that pre-calc was 3 credits.

Divide 438 points by 123 and you have a gpa of 3.56.

:(

Take another 3 credit course and get an A (that's 12 more points). 450/126= 3.57.

Wow... It is really hard to bounce back. An F and A, if the same number of credits, average to 2.0. An F and 2 As average to 3.0.

Let's say that you have a 3.65 gpa having taken 120 credits.

This means that you earned 438 points

Now let's say that pre-calc was 3 credits.

Divide 438 points by 123 and you have a gpa of 3.56.

:(

Take another 3 credit course and get an A (that's 12 more points). 450/126= 3.57.

Wow... It is really hard to bounce back. An F and A, if the same number of credits, average to 2.0. An F and 2 As average to 3.0.

Hmmm... Oh man. Takes like 3 or even 4 A's to completely cancel out the F. Thats tough! (And your back at square 1.....)

I had a C and a B- in orgo 1 and 2, and still got interviews. No acceptances yet though.

I had a C and a B- in orgo 1 and 2, and still got interviews. No acceptances yet though.

Looking at your mdapps, I have to ask why you did not pursue Albany, etc (the 3 you turned down for interviews)?

Looks like you applied to the right schools, just made some bad decisions during the process with regards to taking interviews...

Doubt it'll matter. Just make an A.

I heard that if the original class was taken more than 2 years ago it doesnt show up on your official transcript. Any truth to that?

My pre-med advisor actually told me that...

oh... worrying about grades feels so far away for me...
am i getting old? :hardy:

I heard that if the original class was taken more than 2 years ago it doesnt show up on your official transcript. Any truth to that?

Your advisor is a *****...

:laugh:

oh... worrying about grades feels so far away for me...
am i getting old? :hardy:

Yes, you are. We all are. For instance, I am now one minute older than I was a minute ago.

I think that it is true, it does not show up on your official transcript... however, your AMCAS will require you to say what grades you got on classes that are retaken and those grades will be factored into your AMCAS GPA, which is what counts.

I think that it is true, it does not show up on your official transcript... however, your AMCAS will require you to say what grades you got on classes that are retaken and those grades will be factored into your AMCAS GPA, which is what counts.

No.

There is a reason you must submit your official transcript to AMCAS. If you didn't, then how can they prove you didn't BS it.

There's no way your school would not print out your first 2 years of school grades in an OFFICIAL transcript. Maybe what he is talking about is that the transcript is split into 2 sections. Lower division and upper division GPA. Obviously both these GPAs will show up.

No.

There is a reason you must submit your official transcript to AMCAS. If you didn't, then how can they prove you didn't BS it.

Indeed, I stand corrected.
The retaken grades will not show up in your unofficial transcript ( which is usually the one you can access for free through your online student account), but will appear on official transcript even if the grade isn't factored in.

What kind of a **** advisor would say this? That's so wrong you ought to demand a tuition refund from your school.:thumbdown:

Whether it shows up or not is irrelevant. AMCAS requires you to report ALL your grades, whether or not you've retaken the class. There are people on this board who've been out of college for 20 years and still had to report the grades that are 20 years old.

What kind of a **** advisor would say this? That's so wrong you ought to demand a tuition refund from your school.:thumbdown:

Wow, down guys. I think he meant that his advisor told him if you repeat a course more than two years after taking it, the original grade will be replaced. Many schools do that.

It doesn't matter though. AMCAS factors ALL grades.

This whole thing is giving me a headache.

The F is on the unofficial transcript, theoretically if it is not on the official transcript would that be risky to leave it out when I enter my grades into the AMCAS application?

- stands gaurd for the flaming -

The F is on the unofficial transcript, theoretically if it is not on the official transcript would that be risky to leave it out when I enter my grades into the AMCAS application?

Order an official transcript for yourself and see if it is on there...of course it will be on there...but go ahead and check for yourself...and if it is not on there, I would never mention it to anybody again.

if by risky you mean if they find out about your F ( which is not hard at all),your acceptances will be rescinded/you will get kicked out of med school/lose your license/be blacklisted from all US schools, then yeah, it's just a tad bit risky.
Besides, your transcripts (even unofficial ones) will say that the class was retaken anyways, so they will wonder what happened to that grade.

Postbacker,

goood point

Minnygopher,

Hypothetically speaking, if its not on the official transcript how would they find out about it?

They wouldn't find out if its not on the official transcript. End of story.

LOL, I am going to look for my old thread, which probably is locked about this exact setiment.

Please PLEASE PLEASE... get a W next time... I tell my kids this all the time... I am not flamming you but I am giving a general frustrating rant that I deal with at least twice every semester with my Organic students.

lol, the mid-20's premed TA refers to lab students as "his kids" . . . :laugh:

Postbacker,

goood point

Minnygopher,

Hypothetically speaking, if its not on the official transcript how would they find out about it?

Well, unless your school absolutely erases all traces and that your transcript does not say that your class was at some point retaken, then yeah, they probably wouldn't find out. But I seriously doubt that it is the case. It would be highly advantageous for a student whose school doesnt mention a class being retaken vs. most schools that says so on the transcript.

Well, what my advisor told me was, as long as I continue getting As in the rest of my classes most schools won't even mention the D. I mean, of course they're going to mention it, but it wouldn't be as big of a deal if I were making the same grades in other classes.

PS. To all of you taking finals, GOOD LUCK!

if by risky you mean if they find out about your F ( which is not hard at all),your acceptances will be rescinded/you will get kicked out of med school/lose your license/be blacklisted from all US schools, then yeah, it's just a tad bit risky.
Besides, your transcripts (even unofficial ones) will say that the class was retaken anyways, so they will wonder what happened to that grade.

Agreed. One remote bad grade won't usually keep you out of med school. Not reporting the one bad grade to AMCAS actually could. Why take that risk. You'd be surprised what schools can sometimes know through circuitious routes.

You know how they say P=MD? Well D=Don't even think about it

J/k.. If you get a 4.0 for everything else and end up with a 3.91 (assuming 120 credits to graduate) it might work out. Ds are hard to explain though.

Is this second semester Organic?? If so, what did you get first semester? If it's just first semester of course make sure and do well next fall. Definitely retake it because Organic is the most important indicator used. An A or A- would really help and would show it was just a fluke. Good luck.

This is for second semester. First semester I got an A.

Last semester I dropped Organic and got a DR....this semester I got an A-

is that a good thing showing i turned things around?

I got a D in 252 OChem my 2nd year. I retook and got an A-. All other ochem classes I've taken (251, 253, 254, 255) I have gotten B or better. I have gotten 2 interviews so far this year. From what I have heard, it looks good if you retake the course and then prove that you are resilient and can work hard to overcome a bad grade. I still wish I would've dropped the class for the W though! Good luck.