"D" in organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfuture

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a sophomore , pred-dental student and I just got a "D" in my first organic chemistry. This was a horrible semester( no excuses). Anywya Im going to re take this calss in the summer cause is already full for Spring semester. Any hope for me? how is this going to look in the future??

Members don't see this ad.

Im a sophomore , pred-dental student and I just got a "D" in my first organic chemistry. This was a horrible semester( no excuses). Anywya Im going to re take this calss in the summer cause is already full for Spring semester. Any hope for me? how is this going to look in the future??

show an improvement and you will be fine!!!
also there will be people replying to your post saying u are not fit for dentistry and all those Bull****......
dont listen to them....bottom line-a positive trend is always helpful......

i'd suggest retake and get an A and youll be okay, my advisor said to never take prereqs in the summer though

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an A in the class and do not get D again you should be fine.

Do well on the DAT especially on the TS. Make sure you'll get an A if you retake.
Good luck

What was their reasoning for not taking prereqs in the summer?

actually i should rephrase what i said.. most of the students at my school would retake classes that they did badly in at community colleges in their home towns, so this is what she recommended against. if youre retaking it at your school it shouldnt be a problem

Be carefull of those summer courses as they can be quite brutal. You will have to study you tail off. I took it in the summer, studied like crazy and only got a B-. Not to say you can't do it. Just go in with the mindset that your summer will suck.

Good luck

I have to take it in the summer because the only class offer in the Spring is full and will not accept new students at the beginning of the semester. Whats the problem with taking it in the summmer?

destroy orgo 2 and get at least a B when you retake orgo 1...
i would def brush up on orgo 1 stuff during winter break so that you're ready for the second semester (which is way worse than first).

I have to take it in the summer because the only class offer in the Spring is full and will not accept new students at the beginning of the semester. Whats the problem with taking it in the summmer?

I guess the problem when I took it is that there is so much material crammed into such a short period of time. You definitely have an advantage though having already taken it.
If you have to take it in the summer then that is what you have to do, but just be ready to study study study.

If you can call that an advantage! My concern is how will this look in future applications to dental school?!?!

If you can call that an advantage! My concern is how will this look in future applications to dental school?!?!

Come on, we've all retaken classes. Dental schools don't want to see you retaking every single class but a few is no big deal. Just make sure you get a good grade the second time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You so much, I really fell horrible right now but I appreciate your comment

I posted this in another thread, but you will benefit as well. Like the poster said, we have all retaken classes. I got a C in Gen chem, then retook and got a C again. Nobody asked me anything. I did get a 23 on the Gen Chem on the DAT though. The point is that it is not going to kill you and you can make up for it in other areas.

Don't stress.

but you got a "C", I for a "D" !!!!!

Yeah DONT take summer classes. Way to intense. I was strongly advised against it for the future by my advisers. Especially since it's a science class, theres not much you can cut out of it like you could an English class (for me, it was all 15 weeks crammed into 6. Thats about a weeks worth of info per class period).

I was told to never retake a class unless you believe you can get an A.
because if u dont, adcom members will say Mr. Smith got an A the first time around and u couldnt pull an A after taking it twice.
In short, make sure u ace Orgo II. Do whatever you need to do (I got a tutor)
Best,
dan

I was told to never retake a class unless you believe you can get an A.
because if u dont, adcom members will say Mr. Smith got an A the first time around and u couldnt pull an A after taking it twice.
In short, make sure u ace Orgo II. Do whatever you need to do (I got a tutor)
Best,
dan

good point

The thing with organic and the other natural sciences is that they are the foundations of critical thinking and problem solving. I can't speak for adcoms, but if you can't critically think and problem solve, they may feel how could you do the same when adding the element of dealing with human behavior. A bad grade doesn't mean you can't problem solve and critically think. Could be do to the fact you didn't put enough time in or had a heavy course load. But be advised, there are others out there that have done very well and who do you think the adcoms are going to select? I'm sure if you're honest with yourself, you could have been successful if you did more. That being said, I agree with everyone else, retake it. It shows you have the foundations to critically think. However, if you retake it and don't have a significant improvement, that will tell them you don't have those skills. I was successful in orgo by simply doing problems over and over again from the textbook until I was sick of looking at it. Made the tests really easy because there is only so many ways they can ask a question. As you can see, I really loved orgo and I wish you the best of luck. Just rock it, and show adcoms you are willing to work hard and have the ability.

Yeah DONT take summer classes. Way to intense. I was strongly advised against it for the future by my advisers. Especially since it's a science class, theres not much you can cut out of it like you could an English class (for me, it was all 15 weeks crammed into 6. Thats about a weeks worth of info per class period).

Ughhhh that's not what I want to hear. I'm taking Gen Chem this summer. 2 semesters crammed into 12 weeks. Lecture every day, discussion 3 times a week, 3-hour lab twice a week. I hate Gen Chem as it is and I'm scared to death, but it's the only way I can graduate on time.

You can take summer classes and do well! I took differential equations and O Chem I during one summer and it was one of my best semesters...... just don't let yourself think about the fact that it is summer........ I would however go to class the first day of spring semester and ask if you can get in. I have done it a handful of times and in classes like O chem it always works because there will guaranteed be people dropping the class.

I got a D in Gen Chem II. Retook it and got a C. Still got interviews and an acceptance, and no school asked me about it. I did well on the G.Chem section of my DAT (21 I think), but even that was not brought up. There are more important things to discover about a student when they are at an interview IMO.

-Cyrus

I got D's in Bio1 and Organic2 and I'm in dental school. How did I do it? Got A's the in both courses the second time around, a killer DAT score, and smooth interviews.

It can be done.

jb!:)

i figured i would continue this thread instead of making a new one,

i got my first ever D in organic LAB. ughh. very annoying :scared: i had a HORRIBLE TA "teach" the lab and she murdered everyones prelabs so it sucked, bottom line it was my fault since im the one responsible for my grade...but anyways..

i was freaking out about it but im trying not to go ballistic (haha old word) and i was just going to let it slide and boost my GPA, do great on the DAT and pray for interviews, but i was just double checking does anyone think I should retake it in the summer? Only problem is im taking physics I and II, and I COULD fit the lab in there IF i dont get into the gateway to dentistry program - soo i dont know what to do, i know i definitely would rather do the gateway program than take organic lab in the summer thats for sure...but if it would help me i may have to....

any advice?

i figured i would continue this thread instead of making a new one,

i got my first ever D in organic LAB. ughh. very annoying :scared: i had a HORRIBLE TA "teach" the lab and she murdered everyones prelabs so it sucked, bottom line it was my fault since im the one responsible for my grade...but anyways..

i was freaking out about it but im trying not to go ballistic (haha old word) and i was just going to let it slide and boost my GPA, do great on the DAT and pray for interviews, but i was just double checking does anyone think I should retake it in the summer? Only problem is im taking physics I and II, and I COULD fit the lab in there IF i dont get into the gateway to dentistry program - soo i dont know what to do, i know i definitely would rather do the gateway program than take organic lab in the summer thats for sure...but if it would help me i may have to....

any advice?

Retaking classes is a waste of time if it's a passing first time around. In your case, I'd check to see if it satisfies pre-reqs for school as many require at least a C-/C. Who knows whether that only applies for the lecture portion or both.

Retaking classes is a waste of time if it's a passing first time around. In your case, I'd check to see if it satisfies pre-reqs for school as many require at least a C-/C. Who knows whether that only applies for the lecture portion or both.

trueee...i never thought of that, i got a C+ in lecture...ill look into it, thanks!