D.O. 2012 application. Should I even bother with M.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theferpectcrime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all,

This is my first thread/post. I really need input from some seasoned veterans. I graduated with a B.A. in psychology in 2008. I applied to some graduate programs and got in. However, I changed my mind and decided to get a second bachelors in Biology (with a minor in chemistry). So I'm almost done with my postbacc and I'm taking the MCAT in September. I just got a "C" in organic I, thus I'm freaking out and starting this very long and boring thread:sleep:.

In spite of a lackluster start, the last two years of my first degree are presented in this thread. Presented below are the last two years of my first degree and current progress of my postbacc/2nd degree.

Fall 2006

EXP 4204 HUMAN PERCEPTION B+
PSB 3002 BIOLOGICAL BASES OF BEHAVIOR A
PSY 4604 HISTORY & SYSTEMS OF PSY A
SOP 3742 PSYCHOLOGY OF WOMEN A
Semester GPA 3.832

Spring 2007

CLP 4144 ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY A-
EXP 4304 PSYCHOLOGY OF MOTIVATION A
EXP 4620 PSYCHOLOGY OF READING A
PSY 4930 RSRCH:EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY A
STA 3163L INTERMEDIATE STATISTICS LAB B+

Semester GPA 3.872

Summer 2007
ANT 4302 GENDER AND CULTURE A

Semester GPA 4.0

Fall 2007
MUH 3023 ROCK & ROLL IN AMERCN SOCIETY A
PSB 4444 PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY A
PSY 4810 EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY A
PSY 4930 FINANCIAL PSYCHOLOGY A-
PSY 4932 HONORS SEMINAR A

Semester GPA: 3.934

Spring 2008
CBH 6303 Seminar In Evolutionary Psych A
PSY 4302 Personality Test & Measurement B+
PSY 4906 Cognitive Development S
PSY 4930 Industrial/Organization Psych A

Semester GPA: 3.776

Summer 2008

PSY 4906 Theory of Mind & Soc Cognition S
PSY 4970 Honors Thesis S

Second Degree (B.S. Major: Biology; minor: Chemistry)

Fall 2009

BIOL 1500 Biology I/Lab A-
BIOL 2600 Medical Terminology B

Winter 2010

BIOL 1510 Biology II/Lab A
CHEM 1300 General Chemistry I/Lab B
PHIL 3180 Biomedical Ethics B+

Summer 2010

BIOL 3320 Anatomy and Physiology I/Lab B
MATH 2100 Calculus I B

Fall 2010

BIOL 3330 Anatomy and Physiology II/Lab B+
BIOL 3600 Genetics/Lab B
CHEM 1310 General Chemistry II/Lab B+
PHYS 2350 General Physics I/Lab B

Winter 2011

BIOL 3400 Microbiology/Lab A-
BIOL 4340 Cellular and Molecular Biology B
CHEM 2400 Organic Chem I/Lab C
PHYS 2360 General Physics II/Lab B+

(CURRENT AND FUTURE CLASSES)

Summer 2011

CHEM 2410 Organic Chemistry II/Lab

Fall 2011

BIOL 4300 Microbial Pathogenesis
CHEM 3215 Survey of Rational Drug Design
CHEM 3650 Biochemistry/Lab
PHYS 3700 Modern Physics

Spring 2012

BIOL 4360 Immunology
CHEM 4200 Plant Drug Analysis

I know that this is a lot of information to process. I'm a long time lurker, I've seen you all eviscerate some users. Please, feel free to point out my foibles. Upon graduation, my AACOMAS science GPA will be a 3.28. Conversely, my cumulative will be the same (I have 200 semester hours).

I have worked at a urban psychiatric hospital (low SES, 60 hrs a week) for about 13 months, conducted a honors thesis in 2008 (it didn't get published :(), and other banalities not worth listing. I have some very strong letters of rec in both psychology and in my postbacc. Long story short, what are my chances for admission into most D.O. schools and should I even bother with any M.D. schools (EVEN WITH AN AMAZING MCAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA is low. Strong MCAT needed. If very high (>35) you might consider MD, but it's a tough sell with a 3.2 GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cpants, thanks for the input! I know 3.28 is quite low . . . I've pretty much resigned the possibility of admission into an allopathic school. Hypothetically, if I were to get a 35+, should I then consider applying to allopathic schools? Will admissions even look at my application without a 35+?

You can probably push that to a 3.3 sGPA. If you do and have about a 3.6 overall with a 32+ MCAT, I would apply to US MD schools.

Well, that's somewhat encouraging. Too bad my AMCAS isn't the same (about 3.1). I'm more than okay with D.O., I just want more options, if necessary.

If your AMCAS GPA is a 3.28 as well, depending on your state of residence, you're actually above the 10th percentile for some schools.

i would like to know some of the states or schools that the OP might have a chance because i have a friend whose in the same boat right now. thanks

i would like to know some of the states or schools that the OP might have a chance because i have a friend whose in the same boat right now. thanks
New Mexico, Meharry, Howard, Morehouse, Mercer, North Dakota, and Marshall to name a few. However, I'm almost certain that these 10th percentile stats stem from in-state students.

You should take a stab at your state schools no matter what.

Thanks cpants! Do you think that my honors thesis and experience in the clinical milieu will be somewhat compensatory for a sub par GPA.

As per my cumulative GPA, I have 200 credits, some very poor semesters, albeit strong junior/senior grades ~3.85). Will admissions take this into consideration upon reviewing my transcripts?

Will admissions look at the fact that I took herculean course loads (e.g., Fall 2010) and give me more wiggle-room?

BIOL 3600 Genetics/Lab B

I'm starting Organic II this Monday. Will an A-/B+ make up for a C in Organic I? Sorry to bore you with a gazillion questions.

Thanks cpants! Do you think that my honors thesis and experience in the clinical milieu will be somewhat compensatory for a sub par GPA.

As per my cumulative GPA, I have 200 credits, some very poor semesters, albeit strong junior/senior grades ~3.85). Will admissions take this into consideration upon reviewing my transcripts?

Will admissions look at the fact that I took herculean course loads (e.g., Fall 2010) and give me more wiggle-room?

BIOL 3600 Genetics/Lab B

I'm starting Organic II this Monday. Will an A-/B+ make up for a C in Organic I? Sorry to bore you with a gazillion questions.

They may look favorably on an upward trend. They won't care about your courseload at all. Keep in mind, a semester of med school is way harder than that fall semester. You should be aiming for an A in Orgo 2. It won't make up for a C in Orgo I, but it can only help.

I'm applying in September/October. How screwed am I for this admission cycle? I'm taking the MCAT September 11th. I'm hoping to get into NSU-COM (currently in undergrad at NSU). I have a very strong letter from the head of the physics department, 1.5 years letter of rec from the CNO (chief nursing officer) from a low-SES psychiatric hospital, and 2 more letters (#1 a "big-wig" in developmental evolutionary psychology, who I conducted an Honors Thesis under his supervision, #2 chair of the biology department at NSU). Oh, my AACOMAS BCPM GPA will be ~ 3.36 GPA (I cant believe they're accepting my Neuroscience classes =]). Hypothetically, can I at least get wait-listed at NSU-COM? It's my #1 choice. Yes, and presupposing that I score 29 or higher on the MCAT. Input, por favor.