D.O 3rd year rotation site size?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ost3oclast

It's Teh Internetz Dood!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that D.O schools, for the most part, don't have access to large hospitals to do rotations at. I also know that the areas that students tend to rotate through are in smaller rural areas. I come from a town where the largest hospital in a 200 mile radius is very small (44 beds). Seeing as this is my only experience with hospitals and clinical experience, I'm trying to prepare myself for a larger setting. Obviously, this is the pre-osteo forum and we haven't done rotations ( not even accepted yet) but I know some of you have pretty valuable info and I know there are some current DO students trolling around here! ;) So in your experience (personal or second hand), how large are 3rd year rotation sites?

I know that residency is a whole different ball game but along the same lines, how large are a lot of AOA residency locations? Most of us will end up in either primary care or internal medicine (based purely on statistics) and the latter has years of residency training in a hospital setting. Obviously we could all apply for ACGME residency and go to a larger hospital but in terms of the AOA match, are we dealing with generally smaller hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

hospital size varies for both AOA and ACGME residencies. looking into 3rd and 4th year rotation sites at schools is a good idea. generally the more affiliations with academic and established community sites, the better.

The hospitals I rotated at had: 126 Beds (2 rotations there), 410 beds ( 1 rotation), 401 (2 rotations), 319 (2 rotations), 315(1 rotation), 655( 1 rotation)

The 126 bed hospital was a pretty much DO only hospital that had residencies in family, internal, and general surgery. All of the other hospitals, except for 655 hospital, had at least one aoa or aoa/Acgme residency.

My rotations, for the most part, were fine. I was with kids from the surrounding md schools on 7/9 of my rotations.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/ has a list of all the do residencies, so you can check out those hospitals if you like.

Last edited: