D.O. acceptance rate of interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calcarine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the facts? It is for a good reason. I have a week to submit a steep non-refundable acceptance fee and would like to know my chances of getting into my other schools (I have three interviews, AZCOM, KCOM, DMU). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have an acceptance in-hand, put down the deposit, because your acceptance rate at that school is 100%. If you still want to take other interviews, then go ahead. You may decided that you like one better, and have to decide whether or not to eat the deposit you already put down, but its better than not putting down the deposit, and then not getting in anywhere else (or deciding that you liked the other place better, but now its too late)

Send the deposit in. You are talking about a guaranteed opportunity against a potential one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is a great question. Say hypothetically, a school offers 500 interviews from 2000 applicants for 125 spots. Thus, one might initially say that approximately 7% of applicants receive an interview invitation, and lets assume the majority attend said interview. One might also say that 25% of interviewees are accepted, based on 125/500. However, I would guess that the interview to acceptance rate would be higher, based on some number of acceptees deciding to matriculate at other schools.

Maybe a 50% interview to acceptance rate? 60%? Or do you think they offer 25% acceptances, and waitlist the rest? Guesses?​

I have to agree with the other posters, I would take the acceptance and place the deposit. I know for me, I was not able to travel to all the schools I was interested in and have been making my decisions when I go for the interview. If you are comfortable at the school, you can see yourself going there, I would send it in. Obviously if you didn't like the school, don't place the deposit. I know of someone that was in your position and declined to send in the deposit. For a variety of reasons, she was rejected from the other schools, got no more interviews and ended up have to take a lag year and apply again the next fall. I am not in anyway saying this will happen to you and based on the facts that you have a number of interviews and an acceptance already I would guess you are a pretty desirable candidate and wouldn't have to worry. Just weigh the possible "worse case" scenarios: eating $300 - $2000+ for the deposit or eating a lag year redoing applications and sweating it out again next year without the guarantee of getting in.

Agreed......put the deposit down, unless you just don't want to go there. You're not going to find any real good stats in the past year, and most likely not the specific ones that you're looking for.

So get your spot and then see what the other interviews bring.

a $1000 to me is worth the peice of mind that I will be going to medical school next year. I will send in 1 deposit to a school I know I would go to, and then wait and see what else happens. this is what I am doing with MSUCOM and an interview I will have in Jan at Wayne State.

as for acceptance to interview rates Im shooting 200% at DO schools, 2 acceptances and only 1 interview :p. But realistically, I think that around 50% of people interviewed get acceptance, maybe a little more than that.

Thanks everyone. I found an old table in this forum that gave me some numbers. It was posted by DOcat but I'm not sure how to put it in this link. 2000 does hurt though especially when I have plans for that money.....

I'm going to advise you not to make a ******ed decision. How much money will you spend traveling to those other schools, all of which have similar deposits?

AZCOM will cost me all of $250
KCOM free free and free
DMU $120

What decision are you now suggesting that I make TexasT?

According to the table I was talking about DO schools accept 70% of their applicants (on average). I say these are pretty good numbers.

Well if that's the case, and you think its worth the risk, then go for it.

AZCOM will cost me all of $250
KCOM free free and free
DMU $120

What decision are you now suggesting that I make TexasT?

According to the table I was talking about DO schools accept 70% of their applicants (on average). I say these are pretty good numbers.
Yeah, these might be good numbers, but if you dont have a great interview day, you might fall in the other 30%. Do you want to take that chance? I think TT is talking about just throwing money around. The big thing is, if you put the deposit down, you are going to medical school. Period, end of question. Unless you get thrown in jail or something between now and then. But if you dont put the deposit down, you are taking a huge risk of not getting in anywhere.

So the big question is do you want to risk having to wait another year or possibly lose 2k or whatever your deposit is? I put my deposit down and might still get more interviews, but I doubt I will go to them. But it doesnt matter even if I do go because I have an acceptance in hand and if I dont get in anywhere else, I'm still safe. Your big risk though....

Members don't see this ad :)
keep in mind that the state of residency plays a HUGE role in %ages of acceptances..... a schools (example MSU) might get over 3000 applications for only 350 or 370 seats (Im talking thier MD and DO combined), however, 88% of thier class is coming from michigan residents alone (approx 1100 michigan students apply), so your chances of an acceptance are sometimes pretty good when you have a school like MSU

FYI: Director of Admissions at AZCOM said that approx. 60-70% of interviewees get an acceptance. Basically he was saying that when you've reached the interview process (as long as you dont completely screw up the interview), you're shopping for the best school.

It should be noted that even when you get an interview that your numbers are still looked at. In my eyes, getting an interview is not an indication of the chances that you are offered a seat. Most time's the interview is a small part of the puzzle.

It should be noted that even when you get an interview that your numbers are still looked at. In my eyes, getting an interview is not an indication of the chances that you are offered a seat. Most time's the interview is a small part of the puzzle.

:thumbup: yep, yep. I just experienced this first hand by being rejected-post interview just because of my numbers even though my performance in the interview was awesome. :cool:

yea that sucks a lot. I think I've been the exception to every admission rule. I cant but think this whole process has made me a little bitter and cynical. Maybe that's what makes a good doctor.

:thumbup: yep, yep. I just experienced this first hand by being rejected-post interview just because of my numbers even though my performance in the interview was awesome. :cool:

prions, sent you a pm

I wonder if the people who do the interview invitations are often not the same people who are involved in accepting or rejecting people. An interview is typically supposed to be the "we've gotten past what we already know about you, so now we're going to compare you to other applicants in person."

At GA-PCOM, one of the admissions people (not interviewers... just a guy in the admissions office, but pretty high up. I don't remember his exact title, but it was meaningful) told us that since we're here, we're already past the academic stuff, and they just want to know more about us.

I know I didn't get in based on my GPA, and I knew the interview went well, so I guess there was at least some truth to what they told me. In fact, I don't think the interview could have possibly gone better. I could have sat there and talked to those guys for hours if they had let me. I haven't hit it off with any interviewers like that anywhere before. A little bit with one of the guys at KCOM.

I interviewed at DMU and got some positive feedback from my interviewers when it was over. Two weeks later I was waitlisted. Reason? Low science GPA.

So much for looking past the numbers.

I'm sort of in a similar position as the op.

I'm contemplating submitting $1000 to azcom even tho I don't want to go there but b/c the stupid deadline is 12/17.

I have another acceptance at KCUMB (don't want to go there either but that deadline is later).
Plus, 5 other DO school interviews to go on:
---if I go to all, Western, Touro-MI, NYCOM, DMU, CCOM, Oh and I also have an invite from KCOM but I think I'm withdrawing instead---

And I just interviewed at an MD school & have another MD school interview in Feb too.

I could go to AZCOM if I had to. I'd like to save the grand but I'm too afraid of f-ing up all he other interviews and getting in NOWHERE else.

GAH! I'm broke: I don't know what to do! SHOULD I RISK IT?

And I just added LECOM-B and Nova my aacomas so I'm waiting to hear from them... These are my 2 top DO choices...

Crap

I interviewed at DMU and got some positive feedback from my interviewers when it was over. Two weeks later I was waitlisted. Reason? Low science GPA.

DMU is sure missing out on some awesome candidates this year, including me, RawkusMD, t-funk, megboo and sooo many others! And all because they are number hungry snobs! THEIR LOSS! :laugh: I'm not bitter . . . I swear! ;)

DMU is sure missing out on some awesome candidates this year, including me, RawkusMD, t-funk, megboo and sooo many others! And all because they are number hungry snobs! THEIR LOSS! :laugh: I'm not bitter . . . I swear! ;)

For me, it wasn't even numbers. They accepted people with worse numbers per se :rolleyes:

For me, it wasn't even numbers. They accepted people with worse numbers per se :rolleyes:

True, and that's even worse! They used to be my #1, but I don't like them anymore. :( I like the schools that like me back . . . come on LMU-DCOM! :D

BTW Meg, how did your SIU interview go?

I can second that plus some. I walked into an interview last year (not at an osteopathic school) and was told by the arrogant condescending jerk of an interviewer that I wasn't going to be accepted because of my gpa even though my questionable grades were from a decade ago. Nothing like getting an on the spot rejection to make your day. Obviously, the right hand wasn't in sync with the left. The fact that they had this doc in a faculty position really made me question the priorities of some of these med schools.