D.O. and ped internal medicine matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently got back my MCAT score and did fine on biological sciences and physical sciences, but basically bombed verbal. This is my second time around and will be applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. My question is this: If I do end up going to a D.O. school, what are the chances of matching in a top pediatric internal medicine residency program? I'm particularly interested in pediatric oncology and pediatric cardiology. How about just a good residency program in these fields (doesn't need to be top 10 or such)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

do you want peds, or internal medicine. there is no "pediatric IM."

as for peds, it's not competitive, with the exception of a handful of top programs.

I thought med-peds was pediatric internal medicine? I think it's somewhat competitive - more so than either peds or medicine by their selves. You can look on www.scutwork.com or www.nrmp.org for match results which may give you some idea of what you're in for.

wire said:
Hi,
I just recently got back my MCAT score and did fine on biological sciences and physical sciences, but basically bombed verbal. This is my second time around and will be applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools. My question is this: If I do end up going to a D.O. school, what are the chances of matching in a top pediatric internal medicine residency program? I'm particularly interested in pediatric oncology and pediatric cardiology. How about just a good residency program in these fields (doesn't need to be top 10 or such)? Thanks.

Plenty of top notch IM programs for DO's to match into. No Harvard though sorry. As far as peds goes we had a Stanford Peds match last year out of AZCOM. I think thats #8 in the country by some rankings study.

Or you can just do something else with your life.

wire said:
Hi,

Just a clarification about pediatric internal medicine. Like a previous post stated, there is no such thing as pediatric internal medicine. There is Med-Peds which is a four year combined residency in both Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. But if you don't want to treat adults then just do pediatrics (3 years). You can still go to a good allopathic program being a D. O. (I'm a D.O. fourth year) but I would recommend going to an U.S. allopathic school if you get in. It will make things a little easier, esp. if you want to exempt yourself from a rotating internship which is required by five states. There are still ways out of that, but it is a lot easier if you are at an allopathic school. But regardless of being a D.O. or M.D. just work your tail off and show interests and you can get there. Hope this helps.