D.O. arrested in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now I'm finally beginning to see, there was a use for taking general chemistry as an undergrad afterall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this was on 2020 or one of those primetime news shows last night... one of the docs was a D.O./N.D. (naturopathic) wonder where he went...

I think any doctor found guilty of malpractice, whether DO or MD, makes the profession look bad! This is what happens when you are in it for the money and not for the mission.

there was a DO as one of the docs but he already had his licensure taken away before this incident.

What I don't understand is why, in both of those articles, it points out that the doctor was an osteopath (I think we now prefer osteopathic physician btw)? Are all news organizations going to start saying Dr. xyz, an allopath, was found exchanging dilaudid for sexual favors? Of course they aren't.

DORoe said:
What I don't understand is why, in both of those articles, it points out that the doctor was an osteopath (I think we now prefer osteopathic physician btw)? Are all news organizations going to start saying Dr. xyz, an allopath, was found exchanging dilaudid for sexual favors? Of course they aren't.

Because the term allopath only exists because of osteopaths. It is assumed when one sees the word "doctor" they think MD. This isnt flaming or arguing, but if you ask 99% of the lay population (people reading the articles) the don't say they are seeing their allopath, they are going to see their doctor (and if you press them, they'll say MD).

But to be honest, I dont know what is worse... the MDs (I presume, even though the article calls him a microbiologist, a PhD) who sold the bad stuff. Or the DOs and chiropractors who took it...

Talk about a clean sweep of medical degrees...

i see Nova is putting out some quality docs...he gratuated in 1998 and did a family practice res

Fantasy Sports said:
Because the term allopath only exists because of osteopaths. It is assumed when one sees the word "doctor" they think MD. This isnt flaming or arguing, but if you ask 99% of the lay population (people reading the articles) the don't say they are seeing their allopath, they are going to see their doctor (and if you press them, they'll say MD).

But to be honest, I dont know what is worse... the MDs (I presume, even though the article calls him a microbiologist, a PhD) who sold the bad stuff. Or the DOs and chiropractors who took it...

Talk about a clean sweep of medical degrees...
good point but why the need to make the distinction is what I am saying. This guy is an ass MD, DO, whatever.

UHS2005_2 said:
i see Nova is putting out some quality docs...he gratuated in 1998 and did a family practice res

Nice total generalization there...why don't you go kick a puppy too.

If you ever bother to read the public reasons that people have their licenses taken away you'll notice that there are many many people from many different schools...

Now that i responded to a troll I'm going to go back to my work...

UHS2005_2 said:

I hear that the people who rammed a few planes into the twin towers may have been Muslim. Let's kill all them sunsabitches! :rolleyes: :mad:

Get phucked.

NS

Fantasy Sports said:
Because the term allopath only exists because of osteopaths.

Small point of info here. Allopaths were named allopaths by Hahneman - a homeopath. There were no DO's in sight when that happened.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/altmed/interviews/whorton.html

"Can you explain what "allopathy" means, and how mainstream doctors came to be referred to as "allopaths"?

Another thing that's very interesting historically I think is that we've seen a new term applied to mainstream medicine in recent years, or at least I think MDs consider it a new term, "allopathic medicine" or "allopathy" to describe what MDs do, conventional medicine. That term is not a new term at all, it actually comes from the late 1700s, it was coined by Samuel Hahnemann who was the founder of homeopathy. Hahnemann coined that to distinguish between his approach to medicine, homeopathy, which treated disease with drugs that were like the disease, that duplicated the symptoms of the disease, whereas conventional practitioners used treatment that worked against the disease, that countered the disease. They would try to lower a fever, they would try to flush out the poison that was causing disease. They were attacking the disease. And so he coined the term "allopathy" from Greek roots meaning "other than the disease," to suggest that indeed allopaths were acting in a way contrary to the proper way to treat disease to the natural way which is the way used by homeopaths."

Thanks for the historical tidbit. But in terms of the usage of the term, allopath only exists as a term to distinguish it from osteopath. If osteopathy didnt exist, it would just be called 'medicine' or 'medical doctors.' MDs dont have some unifying philosophy (OMT?), we just try to do whatever works that is scientifically proven-- which is hardly a distinct unifying philosophy at all.

tkim6599 said:
Small point of info here. Allopaths were named allopaths by Hahneman - a homeopath. There were no DO's in sight when that happened.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/altmed/interviews/whorton.html

"Can you explain what "allopathy" means, and how mainstream doctors came to be referred to as "allopaths"?

Another thing that's very interesting historically I think is that we've seen a new term applied to mainstream medicine in recent years, or at least I think MDs consider it a new term, "allopathic medicine" or "allopathy" to describe what MDs do, conventional medicine. That term is not a new term at all, it actually comes from the late 1700s, it was coined by Samuel Hahnemann who was the founder of homeopathy. Hahnemann coined that to distinguish between his approach to medicine, homeopathy, which treated disease with drugs that were like the disease, that duplicated the symptoms of the disease, whereas conventional practitioners used treatment that worked against the disease, that countered the disease. They would try to lower a fever, they would try to flush out the poison that was causing disease. They were attacking the disease. And so he coined the term "allopathy" from Greek roots meaning "other than the disease," to suggest that indeed allopaths were acting in a way contrary to the proper way to treat disease to the natural way which is the way used by homeopaths."

Fantasy Sports said:
Thanks for the historical tidbit. But in terms of the usage of the term, allopath only exists as a term to distinguish it from osteopath. If osteopathy didnt exist, it would just be called 'medicine' or 'medical doctors.' MDs dont have some unifying philosophy (OMT?), we just try to do whatever works that is scientifically proven-- which is hardly a distinct unifying philosophy at all.

You should read the entire article, it's rather interesting.

DORoe said:

Amen brother. Every time a DO gets in trouble the article says "Dr. So and So, an osteopath..." Is this any different from writing a negative article about someone and saying "Joe Schmoe, a black man..." or "Jane Doe, a Jew..."

UHS2005_2 said:

UHS2005 you're going to smoke a turd in hell for that comment :smuggrin:

I see UHS is selecting quality spellers these days. I can't wait till I gratuate from NSU!