D.O. Dermatology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjkalmat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive it is to gain a Dermatology residency as a D.O.? I realize that derm is an extremely competitive residency slot. However, since we would have the AOA, and AAMC residencies open to apply to, would it be any easier to get a spot?

How soon do you have to start showing interest in medical school if you're interested in Derm? Is reseach required? I will be attending KCOM in August. I also have an M.P.H. (master's in public health). Thank you.

CJ

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about derm residencies but I can tell you that I think all of those stinking little red bumps all look the same. (Hopefully that will change before we get to our dermatology final in 110 days)

There is a good dermatologist here in Kirksville. He might be a good one to ask questions as well as maybe contacting some of his residents. I also know that KCOM students do work study in his office if that is something you are interested in and if you qualify for work study. (I think almost everyone does) :confused:

We have a few students in my class who are derm-oriented and I know both of them are doing rotations and spending a lot of time in florida with DOs down there at a hospital that has a relationship with my school. Also I've heard from somebody who was told flat out that the particular derm residency she was talking to only seriously considers candidates with board scores in the top 5%.