1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

D.O. EM residencies?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by discharged, Aug 1, 2011.

1. discharged

Resident [Any Field]
    from what I know, there are only 2 AOA approved EM residencies out in florida, Mt. Sinai and Port St. Lucie. Being that there are only 2 programs and the fact that EM is very popular now, are they very difficult to match into? I plan to do an audition for sure, but my board scores only a hair above average.. so I might want to save my money for an audition that I have a shot at..

also, with a score of 525 (and say a step II of similar sorts, good clinical grades, LORS), how many EM programs should i apply to, being reasonable? Thanks for the input

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. patel2

patel2 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did you take the USMLE and are you only aiming for DO E.M.?

4. discharged

Resident [Any Field]
    Strictly d.o.

5. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why not also apply for dual accredited or ACGME residencies that don't require the USMLE?

6. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Yes, EM is tough nowadays. If you rotate and shine at either place then boards wont matter. And to the people encouraging acgme? why encourage dual and acgme over aoa? plenty very good DO EM programs. St joes regional is 5th busiest ED in the country, busiest in NJ.

7. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Because the OP's problem is exactly that: there aren't "plenty" of AOA programs in the region he wants. Only two in Florida... He should call himself lucky though, there aren't any at all in my home state!

8. NightOwlPM

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is considered a competitive COMLEX score EM?

9. sylvanthus

sylvanthus EM/IM/CC PGY-6

Fellow [Any Field]
    500+ is fine. Even lower would likely be ok.

10. Colbert

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  11. majatoi

majatoi Student Trustee - AOA BOT
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try to contact the medical education coordinator to see if they can give you insight. They may permit you to contact the program director, some are very forthcoming with information. It just depends on the program. Audition rotation is most critially important if they let you audition there. Some programs are not even allowing students audition if your score isn't above some value set by the program director.

So if they are permitting and audition go for the gold.

12. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    apply broadly, and shine on your audition rotations.

13. SmokD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    2 Programs is not enough to go on by any means. You should either try for ACGME programs, or apply to AOA programs outside of Florida as well. If you don't, there's a significant chance you won't match.

14. JHex90

Medical Student
    I got a 475 / 80 on the COMLEX I, anyone know just how behind the 8 ball I am for a shot at an ER residency?

15. nascardoc

nascardoc Daddy to 2 kiddos
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll be fine. Just do audition rotations, work hard and you will be good.

16. danzman

danzman The Ace of Spades
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I hear this sentiment a lot on here but Im not sure how it applies to most students.

As an example, I am currently doing an audition rotation at a large DO EM program. When I asked the PD what he/she wants in a resident I get the "hard worker, easy to work with, teachable" story, he claims that they don't really even look at board scores. Basically the same thing that is said on here. Then when I ask the residents, they all say the same thing "you need to do at least 2 and preferably 3 months of rotations here to be considered" As such, the program is 95% inbred as the only students who can do three months of auditions are those that also have a core rotation there. I find this a bit troubling. Currently there are 20 students doing auditions, all hard working, and all wanting to do EM. If for the next 5 months 20 students do auditions, there would be around 100 or so students that would probably rank this program that have each done a rotation and worked hard. Looking back at their previous classes, they have generally taken one student not from a school that does cores there, and from talking around those students all grew up in the area.

It seems that who you know is much much more important than being a hard worker at this program at least.

I have asked this question before with no real answers, but has anyone ever heard of a DO matching into a DO program that he/she did not do an audition rotation at?

17. sylvanthus

sylvanthus EM/IM/CC PGY-6

Fellow [Any Field]
    Another reason to go allopathic. Cant possibly do audition rotations everywhere, especially multiple at the same place.

18. Colbert

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did a couple DO EM rotations before I decided to go allopathic. I will definitely echo that places want you to rotate there and some pretty much make it a requirement for an interview. I did receive about 5 interviews at places that I didn't rotate at, but I also had very good board scores (one place said either you had to rotate there or have >600 to get an invite). I think it's all really stupid and hurts programs more than it helps them. I would say that any place that wants you to do multiple rotations at their hospital is asking entirely too much. One rotation I can see since that's the nature of the beast, but several? That's ludicrous.

19. MikeyLu2010

MikeyLu2010 UT Longhorns Alumni
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    almost half of the people in my year did not rotate at our institution as students.. so yes..it happens, it has to. Theres no way you can audition at all of them, and they know that.

20. danzman

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know, I hope you are correct. It seems that it was really tough just to get a rotation at certain places this year, at Mt Sinai they were filled up a year in advance by January last year. In talking around to applicants this year it seems all of them feel that they have to do a rotation to have a realistic shot at matching, and I keep hearing from residents that you should do at least 2 rotations at your top choice program. Seems like its putting all your eggs in one basket, and with so many more students interested in EM the programs can have there pick of the litter.

I do hear that Ortho has it a hundred times worse than EM does however.
    Just a little frustrating.

21. DrBender79

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are a couple people in my class who didn't rotate at the hospital as students, but most of us did.

22. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Many in my class matched at DO residencies they did not rotate at. Second look (even for 4 hours day before or after interview) is an option if youre very interested in a program you can't rotate in.

23. danzman

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for all the info.

24. IamaBanana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you think this is because there is an understanding of 1 elective per specialty set by your (our) school? If so that is good to hear, if not, well, still good to hear.

25. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    its 2 per specialty, and even that is really easy to get around. For instance, that 3rd elective "rural" can be in EM or surgery for example.