D.O. Letter of Rec Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discowisco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the D.O. LOR supposed to say? I mean say we have shadowed them for a week or even a day, what is the Doctor supposed to say in the letter to make it an outstanding letter? As in what is he/she supposed to talk about?

The kid shadowed me and asked me questions about the profession.

I mean how much are the adcom going to look into the D.O. letter - dont get me wrong I plan to get one but how is it supposed to talk about the candidate after only having known the person for X hours?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the D.O. LOR supposed to say? I mean say we have shadowed them for a week or even a day, what is the Doctor supposed to say in the letter to make it an outstanding letter? As in what is he/she supposed to talk about?

The kid shadowed me and asked me questions about the profession.

I mean how much are the adcom going to look into the D.O. letter - dont get me wrong I plan to get one but how is it supposed to talk about the candidate after only having known the person for X hours?

For schools with a DO letter requirement, it's just a check box. The content of the letter isn't really important. Use other sources for more impressive letters.

I would hope they wouldn't ask for a letter after only a few hours shadowing? That's pretty bold. I would write a letter for someone who shows commitment, comes weekly to get a feel of how a DO runs their office. Hopefully would get to see some OMT in action. Would show actual interest and not just be there for a letter, interacts well with the staff and patients.

Yeah, if you plan on getting a letter from your shadowing doc you should spend a lot more than a few hours with them. I spent a week with two of the three physicians I shadowed. It let them really gauge my interest and work ethic.