D.O. letter of rec.??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posed this question in the pre-D.O. forum but I figure you guys would know better: Is it essential to have a Letter of rec. from a D.O. to get into D.O. school? I have several letters already, including one from an M.D. If a school does not specifically require it, is it an unwritten rule that you have to submit it, or can you just submit regular letters and be all right?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Soem will take an MD letter, so absolutely want the DO letter. You've just gotta call and ask.

If they say they require a DO letter, I would do my best to get one. I did a phone interview with a DO my mother worked with. He was glad to write the letter for me even though prior to the interview we had not met.

Obviously it is best to have your letter writers be people that are familiar with you and that you have a relationship with. However, the adcom says jump! and I say how high?. If you absolutely can not find a DO to write the letter, call the school and explain your problem.

I am starting at AZCOM in a week and my LOR consisted of the above mentioned DO and a biochem professor I took for one semester in the fall of 1997.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sugar72 has basically summed it all up. One thing I'd like to add is that if you don't know any DOs, a few schools are actually more than willing to hook you up w/ one of their own alumni. I think KCOM sends you the name of an alumni in your area so that you can call him/her up and ask questions. Schools that require a D.O. letter basically want to know what a professional thinks of you, your potential, and your committment to osteopathic medicine.

If the schools don't specify a D.O. letter, an M.D. letter is fine. No worries... :)

It really makes no difference. MDvsDO letters viewed as same. But only get what the program requires (if they want three get three, anymore is overkill--has been said to me)