D.O. license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If we had a D.O. degree, but passed all steps of USMLE, can we obtain a license to practice in PA, FL, WV, MI, etc... without doing the rotating internship?

In other words, can we get a license through the allopathic medical board instead?

Thank you for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

You can pass all 3 Steps of the USMLE, but without the successful passage of the COMLEX also, you can't obtain a license to practice as a DO in the US. As a DO, You have to pass your OWN boards to practice!

As far as the 5 states that require a rotating internship for licensure as a DO, I believe that still holds true unless I've heard otherwise. You can do an allopathic residency at those respective states & get certified by an allopathic board, but w/o the rotating internship you can't practice there (MI, PA, FL, WV, OK) I hope this helps!!
biggrin.gif
If someone has heard otherwise, please enlighten me as well!

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 05-06-2000).]

You DO NOT need to pass all three steps of COMLEX to practice as a DO in all the States. Most states will accept your USMLE scores. However, allmost all DO schools will require you to pass step I and step II of COMLEX as part of your graduation requirements.

In the 5 States (MI, FL, WV, PA, AND FL) you will need to take the COMLEX because they require an osteopathic internship and COMLEX is requried for your internship unless you do a transitional year that is approved by both ACGME and AOA...this gets very confusing ...I strongly suggest that you contact the State Medical Boards and ask them..remember that lots of States have combined medical boards for DOs and MDs.

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 05-07-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification, RB!!

I had a hunch something was amiss from the info I was told. Quick question for you: WesternU/COMP doesn't require passage of the COMLEX for graduation just as long as you sit for it. If my intentions are to head to an ACGME residency & I don't intend to practice in those 5 states that require a rotating internship, should I sweat it if I don't pass the COMLEX? More enlightenment if you can!!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for any info from you or any other informed collegue!!
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

To add to the above posts (and to the confusion), you may or may not get
credit from the AOA if you do an ACGME internship (which isn't a problem
unless you plan to practice in one of the five states-OK, FL, WV, PA or MI).
I contacted my state licensing board on 2 seperate occaisions, spoke to 2
different people (both DO's) and got 2 different answers. One told me it
wouldn't be a problem. I am inclined to believe him as he stated that he
was one of the physicians in charge of approving internships and that he
had never declined approval. The other said I would only get credit if the
ACGME program was dually accredited OR structured like a transitional
internship and included a specific list of rotations. Whether or not your
DME will accommodate this request will be somewhat dependent upon the field
you choose, for example, in FM, Anesth, Psych, Radiology, Derm, etc., it
shouldn't be a problem because those areas require/accept a transitional
internship, but for others, like OB/GYN, EM, Surg, etc., it will be more
of a problem because in those fields the PGY-1 yr is specialty specific.
Hope this info helps.

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited 05-07-2000).]

It seems odd that you could potentially complete your residency and board certification and STILL not be able to practice because you didn't complete a rotating internship. Kind of like graduating from college but not being able to get a job because you skipped high school!