D.O. LOR, do schools care for official letter heads or hand written signatures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My D.O. that I scribed for has not included the template for the official hospital letter head. He also did not include a hand written signature and just wrote his name in the end of the document along with his .edu email address.

calling any adcoms. @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need the letterhead and most schools require a signature. I would politely ask him to include these.

You NEED a letterhead. This significantly delayed my application cycle last time because it originally didn't have it. Not ALL schools require it and not ALL schools require the signature (A rep from Ohio flat out told me if you're gonna fake it they can't stop you so why even bother), but since this is what's in your primary app it's what all school see so might as well get it right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just asked for my LOR's today (first time i've had to do this), and I didn't think to ask for a letterhead/signature. Should I email them and ask for a letterhead/signature, or do most prof's know to add it?

EDIT: nvm I just decided to email them to make sure they added it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just asked for my LOR's today (first time i've had to do this), and I didn't think to ask for a letterhead/signature. Should I email them and ask for a letterhead/signature, or do most prof's know to add it?

EDIT: nvm I just decided to email them to make sure they added it
YES. do it.

Most are pretty chill. You'll at least need it to be on letterhead. Digital sig would be OK for most. PCOM gave me so much trouble about one of my LOR that I never managed to get complete at that school. I'd ask your person to redo it if possible.

Letterhead, Signature, Date Written, Department, Professional Title, Course if written by a professor (Course title, semester taught, year taught). If each of your letters has all of these then you will meet the requirements at every single school.

Letterhead, Signature, Date Written, Department, Professional Title, Course if written by a professor (Course title, semester taught, year taught). If each of your letters has all of these then you will meet the requirements at every single school.

Good man.