D.O. & M.D. chances?!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papadoc2210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this application year to M.D. and D.O. school. I wanted to find out what my chances are from those who have experience and knowledge about both school types.
I graduated in December of last year with a bachelors in Kinesiology with a 3.1 gpa. I had a 3.4 until my last 3 semesters where I experienced the collapse of my relationship with my wife. I am 23 years old and I am about to be divorced. I also have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.

E.C.s:
3.1 GPA (3.4 until last 3 semesters)
Kin bachelor degree
Non matriculating taking one or two 4,000+ level courses per semester until acceptance.
youth baseball coach and instructor (I give lessons), coach in tournaments on weekends and practice during the week
2 years college baseball
Orthopaedic clinic medical assistant under top surgeon in U.S. for shoulders
27-31 MCAT on practice tests (take it May 31st)
Habitat for Humanity member for 2 years
member, RCIA teacher, and sponsor at my univeristy Catholic church
Fluent in Spanish and English

My grades suffered initially because my daughter and then extremely because of my marriage collapse.
I can't expect people to understand it who have not gone through it, but it was/is horrible.
I sacrificed my original studying habits to not be a bad dad.
I am not a genius, but I am not a 3.1 gpa student.

I would love to go to an M.D. in Louisiana where I am from and went to school.
I would also love to go to D.O. school in Bradenton, Florida at LECOM
All I can say is I tried my best with what God gave me.
What do you think? Do I have a shot?
An acceptance this year would be amazing, but I think my E.C.s and grades need work. E.C.s can be fairly quickly collected, but GPA repair takes a long time with 130 hours accumalated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not gonna happen. The reason why is the downward trend. While schools may give you the benefit of the doubt, that'll happen after you re-establish an upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is almost nill.
Score above a 31 and DO interviews can come. However, i'd advice a year off to take over some classes to the advantage od DO's replacement policy.

All D.O. schools have a replacement policy? I dont know a whole lot about D.O. schools. I think I know the basics.

I think you may have just told me the most important thing about my application with your comment about the replacement grades. The problem was that I didnt go to school for two weeks and failed one class because of it. F's kill your gpa. I will retake that and it will restore probably a whole tenth and a half.

Even for the D.O. schools?
Yes, even for DO schools. The average at DO is 3.48/26.5 currently. A 3.1 with a downward trend won't cut it.

All D.O. schools have a replacement policy? I dont know a whole lot about D.O. schools. I think I know the basics.
Almost, not Texas COM.

Also, keep in mind that you must do an equal or greater number of units on your retake. There's also debate as to having to do quarter units in quarter system only or not. My experience with the rep was that they only accept quarter to quarter and semester to semester, but there are others here who have claimed quarter to semester has worked for them.

1st off: I'm sure you're going through a tough time that most of us can't understand :/ And I hope things turn out the best for you. :)

I think the general advice people are - indirectly - stating is that a downward trend in grades does not support why you should be picked for a matriculating class. We all know - regardless of M.D. or D.O. - that med school is an insane amount of studying. It's hard to justify that you will be able to academically perform when you yourself stated that personal matters are disrupting your studies.

IMO, I'd take a year or two off and maybe do a post-bac - if you can afford 0.o. I think it would help prove that despite personal matters you are NOW - whenever the time may be - ready for the academic intensity of med school.

Anyways best of luck! :)

Thank u baja....The funny thing is that my life has finally straightened out a little. Before, I didnt really know my future with my ex. But now I know..I have accepted it...and I can move on. I was planning applying this year just for the heck of it. I know I have a slim chance. But my main focus is on next year. I will have had more classes by then under my belt. Sound like a good idea? The classes that I received bad grades are not so hard compared to others. Cell Bio is harder than molecular genetics, but I got an F in one and an A in the other. For me and my life, it was about timing. Timing of a fight in relation to a test. Not an intelligence issue, but an emotional one. That is over now. Oh well, there is always next year. Thanks for being empathetic. Sounds weird to say that. Empathy seems to be more of an innate characteristic, not a chosen action. Guess that says a lot for you baja. i appreciate it.

Thank u baja....The funny thing is that my life has finally straightened out a little. Before, I didnt really know my future with my ex. But now I know..I have accepted it...and I can move on. I was planning applying this year just for the heck of it. I know I have a slim chance. But my main focus is on next year. I will have had more classes by then under my belt. Sound like a good idea? The classes that I received bad grades are not so hard compared to others. Cell Bio is harder than molecular genetics, but I got an F in one and an A in the other. For me and my life, it was about timing. Timing of a fight in relation to a test. Not an intelligence issue, but an emotional one. That is over now. Oh well, there is always next year. Thanks for being empathetic. Sounds weird to say that. Empathy seems to be more of an innate characteristic, not a chosen action. Guess that says a lot for you baja. i appreciate it.

That's heavy stuff buddy. But seriously, relax, take advantage of the grade replacement policy and show schools that you can be a good student consistently.

By applying this year, you mean for the matriculation cycle after this coming one, right?

If so, take an MCAT prep course and do phenomenal on the MCAT. That's where your chance turns to anything but "almost non existent"- and everyone has relationship problems.

Best of luck

I can't contribute much more than was already said by the experts, but seriously, genuinely, and sincerely, good luck! You pulled through some tough stuff, and you have a kid - I understand how difficult that is. Your GPA is a 3.1, its not a 3.0, or a 2.9. Its a 3.1!! Be optimistic!! You only need a few more semesters of work, to bring it up to at least a 3.3, in which case you definitely have a strong shot (assuming you have OK MCAT's to back that up) Hang in there, be patient (I know its frustrating to retake things), but you are so young!

The time will go by one way or another, might as well utilize it to do what needs to be done for an amazing future. A year is definitely a small "price to pay". IMO nothing is really a waste.

Good luck man, you got this! :luck:

Unfortunately, in medicine you won't be able to use a divorce or other emotionally related problems to under-perform in your duties. Does that sound cruel or bad? I admit it does to a degree, but when you have a license that deals with the lives of people, it gets that serious. I think the ADCOMS will give you a second chance (you deserve it), but you also need to meet them half way by at least having a year of retakes to re-establish that upward trend.

Best of luck.