SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

D.O. N/S Chicago and Roanoke site

Discussion in 'Neurosurgery' started by redsoxdave, Apr 30, 2007.

1. redsoxdave

redsoxdave 7+ Year Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Hey all! First, let me just say go sox! Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has any info or experience with the new D.O. neurosurgery sites in Chicago and in Roanoke, Virginia. Is there potential there and what kind of positives and negatives have you seen with these programs. Thanks in advance for the blogs

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HarveyCushing

HarveyCushing 7+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2005

I heard that the Cook County site won't be around next year. Can anyone verify that?

4. BrainDoc22

BrainDoc22 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2006
    I heard that the Cook Program might be gone as well.

As for the Virginia Program, at the very least they have developed a very nice curriculum. Things are in place for a very nice program but you never know about a new program until they have graduates. You should call and talk to the director.

5. cremaster2007

cremaster2007 Birthday cake remix 7+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    I also heard Cook county may not be around.

I interviewed at Virginia and thought the program had a ton of potential. They took one pgy-1 last year and had a person transfer into a pgy-2 spot I believe. They were also looking at a possible transfer in as a pgy-4 or somewhere around that year. The program director is very honest and friendly, so any questions contact him. I believe you can find the information at www.doonline.org. Click on opportunities and search for neurosurgery programs.

6. Freshnstylin

Freshnstylin Member 7+ Year Member

May 2, 2005
    my computer sucks or that link doesn't work

7. HarveyCushing

Mar 12, 2005
  8. HarveyCushing

Mar 12, 2005
    So is it true that the Yakima program is a no go? Or is it still in the works.

9. cremaster2007

Feb 19, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    Last I heard it is a no go. A student from my class rotated out there and said that the Neurosurgeons they recruited didn't really want to teach or be in charge of a program..........take it for what it's worth though. The best way to find out would be to find the program contact and ask them.

10. HarveyCushing

Mar 12, 2005
    Since this program has not offically come aboard yet, is there even a website for the program? I have searched both PNUHS website, as well as PCSOM website since the residency program will be "through" them. Still can't find anything.

11. cremaster2007

Feb 19, 2004
    Glen Cove, NY
    One of my classmates rotated there, so that is how he met with the "program director". I guess you could email somebody at the hospital in the medical education department and see if they have any info.